NYC Subway Advice

Sauna4me

I share the advice that taking the subway is a great way to get around NY.  I'm just chiming in here to recommend a fabulous app, which not only will give you the subway map, it will also help you plan your route AND it works offline -- no need for cell or wi-fi connections.  (The same company makes similar apps for London and Paris; just invaluable imho.) 

https://www.mapway.com/apps/new-york-subway/

Ditto to most of the posts - It's convenient, safe, and very effective. (But not pretty)  And Times Square is a great location for subway connection. (Another is a few blocks south  - the Penn Station area near Macys, the Empire State Building and Madison Square Garden. Although Penn Station itself is a confusing mess)

I also concur with others that you should plan your trip in advance and use the maps in the stations to confirm your plans. And use the MTA website related apps.
http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html
http://web.mta.info/apps/

Some other bits of advice:

• Realize that there are express and local trains. The express trains will bypass some stations. The maps indicate which are which (black dots are local only, white dots serve both). If you're at the platform, USUALLY (exceptions during construction, especially nights and weekend) the express trains are on the centermost tracks and the locals will board on the track closest to the sides.  A common mistake is mistakenly taking the A train (express) on 8th Ave when headed to the American Museum of Natural History in Central Park. It hits most midtown stops, but at Columbus Circle on 59th St, it bypasses all the Central Park stops until Harlem at 125th St. If you mess up, you can usually just exit the platform and cross over to the other direction and backtrack on a local.
  • Trains are identified by letter or number (the differences are because the system was originally built by three different companies; there's no special meaning beyond that). Trains that share the same tracks in Manhattan are shown in the same color (but people don't identify them as "the red or blue line") They use the terminii to identify which line and direction. For instance Northbound trains will usually be identified as "uptown" or "Bronx" and Sounthbound trains as "downtown" or "Brooklyn."
  • Speaking of construction, it's continual. Especially on nights and weekends, it's not uncommon for an express train to take over for a local for a stretch, or less commonly, close a station. The aforementioned apps and website will have the info and it will be posted on the platform. In my experience, the work seldom has affected me and was almost always on stations far from my plans in Manhattan in the middle of the night. Contrary to popular beliefs, I've always found most New Yorkers to be helpful - so ask another passenger on the platform (just don't waste their time - try to clearly ask your question without a lot of unasked opinions or dithering)
    http://travel.mtanyct.info/serviceadvisory/default.aspx
  • Unfortunately, some stations (a minority) have entrances on either side of the street without a crossover, so if you're heading in one direction and enter on the wrong side of the street, you can only catch a train going the wrong way. The station entrances are marked (e.g. "uptown only") if this is the case. And if you find yourself stuck, just ride to the next stop and cross over. As earlier mentioned, most trains in Manhattan go North-South, so in general, it helps if you just head to the entrance on the correct side of the street.
  • When boarding - first wait for people to exit. Then, quickly walk into the train and don't hesitate at the door - people are waiting behind you. True also at turnstiles, stairs and escalators - be aware that people are behind you. Don't block them.
  • If you're visiting in the summer, be aware, the platforms get HOT. The stations aren't air conditioned, and the AC from the trains exhaust their hot air into the tunnels. Dress in layers. (Also there are steam pipes beneath many streets which can radiate heat into the stations)
  • Take a few minutes to explore the different options for MetroCards (the payment system). You can pay ride-by-ride or get an unlimited ride card for 7 or 30 days. http://web.mta.info/nyct/fare/FaresatAGlance.htm

I know this is a lot of information. Don't be daunted. It's pretty easy, once you know the basics. Personally, I find it easier than London and not quite as easy as Paris. It's extensive, 24 hours, and the best way to get around.

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I share the advice that taking the subway is a great way to get around NY.  I'm just chiming in here to recommend a fabulous app, which not only will give you the subway map, it will also help you plan your route AND it works offline -- no need for cell or wi-fi connections.  (The same company makes similar apps for London and Paris; just invaluable imho.) 

https://www.mapway.com/apps/new-york-subway/

If it works offline, does it take into account temporary changes, such as when a particular line will be down for maintenance? 

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

If it works offline, does it take into account temporary changes, such as when a particular line will be down for maintenance? 

I don’t know the answer to that, sorry. All I can say is that it’s a great app.

I utilize Google Maps app and it never lets me down. Just make sure you click the little train icon. You do need WiFi but that shouldn’t be difficult. Just put in your start and end and precise directions including how to walk when leaving the train are listed. 

If the subway seems overwhelming still, the MTA busses are reliable and will get you where you need to go, still for $2.75. You just need to add extra time. 

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 3:33 PM, MarkBearSF said:

Ditto to most of the posts - It's convenient, safe, and very effective. (But not pretty)  And Times Square is a great location for subway connection. (Another is a few blocks south  - the Penn Station area near Macys, the Empire State Building and Madison Square Garden. Although Penn Station itself is a confusing mess)

I also concur with others that you should plan your trip in advance and use the maps in the stations to confirm your plans. And use the MTA website related apps.
http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html
http://web.mta.info/apps/

Some other bits of advice:

• Realize that there are express and local trains. The express trains will bypass some stations. The maps indicate which are which (black dots are local only, white dots serve both). If you're at the platform, USUALLY (exceptions during construction, especially nights and weekend) the express trains are on the centermost tracks and the locals will board on the track closest to the sides.  A common mistake is mistakenly taking the A train (express) on 8th Ave when headed to the American Museum of Natural History in Central Park. It hits most midtown stops, but at Columbus Circle on 59th St, it bypasses all the Central Park stops until Harlem at 125th St. If you mess up, you can usually just exit the platform and cross over to the other direction and backtrack on a local.
  • Trains are identified by letter or number (the differences are because the system was originally built by three different companies; there's no special meaning beyond that). Trains that share the same tracks in Manhattan are shown in the same color (but people don't identify them as "the red or blue line") They use the terminii to identify which line and direction. For instance Northbound trains will usually be identified as "uptown" or "Bronx" and Sounthbound trains as "downtown" or "Brooklyn."
  • Speaking of construction, it's continual. Especially on nights and weekends, it's not uncommon for an express train to take over for a local for a stretch, or less commonly, close a station. The aforementioned apps and website will have the info and it will be posted on the platform. In my experience, the work seldom has affected me and was almost always on stations far from my plans in Manhattan in the middle of the night. Contrary to popular beliefs, I've always found most New Yorkers to be helpful - so ask another passenger on the platform (just don't waste their time - try to clearly ask your question without a lot of unasked opinions or dithering)
    http://travel.mtanyct.info/serviceadvisory/default.aspx
  • Unfortunately, some stations (a minority) have entrances on either side of the street without a crossover, so if you're heading in one direction and enter on the wrong side of the street, you can only catch a train going the wrong way. The station entrances are marked (e.g. "uptown only") if this is the case. And if you find yourself stuck, just ride to the next stop and cross over. As earlier mentioned, most trains in Manhattan go North-South, so in general, it helps if you just head to the entrance on the correct side of the street.
  • When boarding - first wait for people to exit. Then, quickly walk into the train and don't hesitate at the door - people are waiting behind you. True also at turnstiles, stairs and escalators - be aware that people are behind you. Don't block them.
  • If you're visiting in the summer, be aware, the platforms get HOT. The stations aren't air conditioned, and the AC from the trains exhaust their hot air into the tunnels. Dress in layers. (Also there are steam pipes beneath many streets which can radiate heat into the stations)
  • Take a few minutes to explore the different options for MetroCards (the payment system). You can pay ride-by-ride or get an unlimited ride card for 7 or 30 days. http://web.mta.info/nyct/fare/FaresatAGlance.htm

I know this is a lot of information. Don't be daunted. It's pretty easy, once you know the basics. Personally, I find it easier than London and not quite as easy as Paris. It's extensive, 24 hours, and the best way to get around.

Daunting?  Yes.  I thought I was overwhelmed before!  LOL  Seriously, though... this is great information.  Thank you!