NYC Subway Advice

Sauna4me

6 hours ago, ZandZ said:

It sounds like most people you know personally do not reside in the 5 boroughs...  just saying.

I thought you were not going to respond any more ?

I have friends and family members living in NYC.I do not take trains to visit them .Yes,they do take trains and have no problems .

When I lived in Brooklyn the only train I could take home from Manhattan was the L train and nobody that I knew took that train after dark to Brooklyn.We took an Express bus.

6 hours ago, ZandZ said:

also, to answer your question directly.   I go out every Friday.  Prior to figuring out that parking is not an issue in the area I go to, I took the train there and back.  Coming back at about 3am-5am.  Not the L train, but I can give you specific lines if you really want.  Never an issue.

I drive now because I'm not a drinker and its more convenient and because I love to drive.  Not because I felt the subway was dangerous.. If anything, I am more concerned about the walk from the train to my apartment lol.

Were you not in Boston when you posted yesterday ? Now you are in NYC,hmmm.

6 hours ago, ZandZ said:

When i was a kid traveling in some of the areas you have mentioned was not even possible.  I would never feel safe in Bushwick.  And the guy I dated at the time, who was black, was not able to walk me from the train because I lived in Bensonhurst.  We now live in a City that is safer than it ever was.  Do bad things happen?  Sure they do.  Does that mean that tourists should take the bus because going down in the subway would put them in danger?  That is ludicrous and not statistically valid.  But yeah, some people want to hold on to their fears.  

Let us not make this a racial point. I dated a black woman for 2 years who lived in a 100 percent black area in the Bronx.I had no qualms about picking her up ,taking her home and going to restaurants in her area.

I was mugged by white people.

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Let us not make this a racial point. I dated a black woman for 2 years who lived in a 100 percent black area in the Bronx.I had no qualms about picking her up ,taking her home and going to restaurants in her area.

I was mugged by white people.

I never did. Never about that. I was making a point at to how NYC and we have grown as a community.

4 minutes ago, ZandZ said:

I never did. Never about that. I was making a point at to how NYC and we have grown as a community.

I do not think that anything has changed really with the exception that areas in Brooklyn that were 100 percent black have now been "yuppified" and people of other races are now living in those areas. The racism that existed years ago still exists,in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I do not think that anything has changed really with the exception that areas in Brooklyn that were 100 percent black have now been "yuppified" and people of other races are now living in those areas. The racism that existed years ago still exists,in my opinion.

I always hope for the best in people. I dont want to admit that you are right. I do think that a lot of the people that were racist chose to move away from new york and the space has been filled up but immigrants and transplants... 

2 minutes ago, ZandZ said:

I always hope for the best in people. I dont want to admit that you are right. I do think that a lot of the people that were racist chose to move away from new york and the space has been filled up but immigrants and transplants... 

I was in the home of a NYC politician. One of his friends complained about how black people (he used the "N" word) hate people like him because of his religion.I wanted to throw up,instead I left the house.While I was there the politician said nothing.He may have afterward but I would have expected him to say something  immediately. 

I never had any issues on the subway ever. I used to go to  Rock clubs in Bay Ridge and Manhattan  in the 80's and 90s . I used to live in Ridgewood/Glendale area in Queens. I still visit my parents in Glendale at least once a week form CT and ride the L to Wychoff/ Myrtle Avenue. I promise you there are no alligators or C.H.U.D.S. in the subway. If you are going around town easiest way to get around.  A couple pointers you will not be able to do everything in 2 days use time wisely Ellis Island or the Statue of Liberty or the larger museums realistically takes a half day, Plan on Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty in the morning  to have rest of the day to do other things. I avoid the WTC memorial too painful, if that's a your thing great.. get those tickets way in advance.  Battery Park area , ride the Sea Glass carousel so much fun or South Street Seaport has museums and good eats.Take a tour of Grand Central station (free) See the Flatiron building,  if you like architecture. If you want city views you can either do Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center or Empire state building. I also love Bryant Park . I hope I didn't make your head explode. I love where I am from. The burbs of CT not exciting at all.

• Like 1

Wow, did this go off the rails (so to speak) since Sunday.

I work for the subway (21 years - as a Conductor, Train Operator and Supervisor/Instructor). I've ridden them on my own since I was a freshman in high school (Sept 1976). They've changed tremendously in that time, as has the City in general. If you're going beyond a comfortable (for you) walking distance, by all means take the subway. If nothing else, it helps to keep me gainfully employed. The fare on the subway is $2.75; the initial drop on a taxi is $2.50. North/south (uptown/downtown) is very easy; east/west not so much, unless you're near 42 St or 14 St.

As noted above, don't flash your wallet. Do try to figure out where you're going before you enter the system - nothing screams "tourist" more than constantly checking maps (or phones). Same goes for when you're walking. If you need to check a map, pull over to the building side, out of pedestrian traffic, or use something that already forces people to walk around it (news stands, food carts).

Enjoy your trip.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TSS Alex said:

Wow, did this go off the rails (so to speak) since Sunday.

I work for the subway (21 years - as a Conductor, Train Operator and Supervisor/Instructor). I've ridden them on my own since I was a freshman in high school (Sept 1976). They've changed tremendously in that time, as has the City in general. If you're going beyond a comfortable (for you) walking distance, by all means take the subway. If nothing else, it helps to keep me gainfully employed. The fare on the subway is $2.75; the initial drop on a taxi is $2.50. North/south (uptown/downtown) is very easy; east/west not so much, unless you're near 42 St or 14 St.

As noted above, don't flash your wallet. Do try to figure out where you're going before you enter the system - nothing screams "tourist" more than constantly checking maps (or phones). Same goes for when you're walking. If you need to check a map, pull over to the building side, out of pedestrian traffic, or use something that already forces people to walk around it (news stands, food carts).

Enjoy your trip.

I have very little respect for politicians.

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

When I lived in Brooklyn the only train I could take home from Manhattan was the L train and nobody that I knew took that train after dark to Brooklyn.We took an Express bus.

Again, you are talking about almost 30 years ago, and even if you were talking about present day, the typical tourist is not traveling to Brooklyn after dark!   If a tourist is on the subway after dark, they are likely returning to their midtown/downtown hotel from Yankee stadium or the theater district and will be in plenty of company.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alrana Eris said:

I never had any issues on the subway ever. I used to go to  Rock clubs in Bay Ridge and Manhattan  in the 80's and 90s . I used to live in Ridgewood/Glendale area in Queens. I still visit my parents in Glendale at least once a week form CT and ride the L to Wychoff/ Myrtle Avenue. I promise you there are no alligators or C.H.U.D.S. in the subway. If you are going around town easiest way to get around.  A couple pointers you will not be able to do everything in 2 days use time wisely Ellis Island or the Statue of Liberty or the larger museums realistically takes a half day, Plan on Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty in the morning  to have rest of the day to do other things. I avoid the WTC memorial too painful, if that's a your thing great.. get those tickets way in advance.  Battery Park area , ride the Sea Glass carousel so much fun or South Street Seaport has museums and good eats.Take a tour of Grand Central station (free) See the Flatiron building,  if you like architecture. If you want city views you can either do Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center or Empire state building. I also love Bryant Park . I hope I didn't make your head explode. I love where I am from. The burbs of CT not exciting at all.

You don’t need tickets for the memorial, just the museum. We bought ours a week in advance, but there were some available on,one on the day. I found the museum very cathartic.

If you are going to the Statue of Liberty, there is a Museum that I think is small enough to visit in a little over an hour, if that.  Its right there.  Even if you don't go inside - the building is beautiful and there is a cute little park.  Also, the Bull aka we-must-all-laugh-at-balls-today statue.

https://americanindian.si.edu/visit/newyork/

In my opinion every tourist to NYC should go to Ellis Island.I also tell tourists that if they have a few days to spend in the city to go to 5th Ave and 48 St and take an Express bus to Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn,tour the area and do a walking bridge to Manhattan Beach.

Another suggestion is to tour the East side of Manhattan. Most tourists stay in hotels on the West side and walk the streets. On the East side you have the UN building,NY Historical Society,Gugenheim and Whitney Museums.

We are cruising out of NY.  Me, husband and two "kids", 21 and 17.  We are not from a big town but not intimidated by public transportation in big cities.  NYC is a little intimidating, but not in a crime-sense.  

I've read on this thread a lot depends on where you stay.  Pre-cruise, we are staying 1 night right in Times Square.  Is that a decent location to utilize the subway system?  The only must see we have on our list for the day before the cruise is the 9/11 memorial.  Other than that, we just want to take in the city.  Post-cruise, we have another day.  We haven't yet booked a room but looking again at Times Square (if that's convenient for subway).  The day after the cruise, we are heading to Yankee stadium.  It has been decades since any of us have gone through the Bronx.  That was a little intimidating; granted we were young and we're talking the mid-80s.  Any concerns taking the subway up to Yankee Stadium - night game? 

7 minutes ago, Albums in the Attic said:

I've read on this thread a lot depends on where you stay.  Pre-cruise, we are staying 1 night right in Times Square.  Is that a decent location to utilize the subway system?  The only must see we have on our list for the day before the cruise is the 9/11 memorial.  Other than that, we just want to take in the city.  Post-cruise, we have another day.  We haven't yet booked a room but looking again at Times Square (if that's convenient for subway).  The day after the cruise, we are heading to Yankee stadium.  It has been decades since any of us have gone through the Bronx.  That was a little intimidating; granted we were young and we're talking the mid-80s.  Any concerns taking the subway up to Yankee Stadium - night game? 

Times Square gives you the most options on the subway, with almost every line within a two block walk. The 9/11 Memorial is a direct run, about 18 minutes, on the #1 line; Yankee stadium is a direct run on the B or D, which stop a block away on 6 Avenue.

No problems for a night game (unless your doing something silly, like wearing Red Sox clothing). Just be prepared for the trip back to take much longer than the trip up, due to late-night construction work.

We took the subway from midtown to Yankee Stadium for a night game this past June while in NYC with my boys (24, 20, and 14).  The stadium subway stop is literally across the street from the stadium and there will be thousands of fans using the subway as well.  In fact, the crowd for the subway after the game was so huge they ultimately just opened the turnstyles to help the crowd move more quickly, rather than each person having to insert their ticket. 

Times Square area is an ideal place to stay for what you want to do.  It's easy to take the subway both downtown to 9/11 (and Wall Street area, South St. Seaport, ferries to Liberty/Ellis Island) and up to the Bronx for the game.  You are also within walking distance to things like Central Park, theater district, Rockefeller Plaza, the Intrepid, etc.

Ditto to most of the posts - It's convenient, safe, and very effective. (But not pretty)  And Times Square is a great location for subway connection. (Another is a few blocks south  - the Penn Station area near Macys, the Empire State Building and Madison Square Garden. Although Penn Station itself is a confusing mess)

I also concur with others that you should plan your trip in advance and use the maps in the stations to confirm your plans. And use the MTA website related apps.
http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html
http://web.mta.info/apps/

Some other bits of advice:

• Realize that there are express and local trains. The express trains will bypass some stations. The maps indicate which are which (black dots are local only, white dots serve both). If you're at the platform, USUALLY (exceptions during construction, especially nights and weekend) the express trains are on the centermost tracks and the locals will board on the track closest to the sides.  A common mistake is mistakenly taking the A train (express) on 8th Ave when headed to the American Museum of Natural History in Central Park. It hits most midtown stops, but at Columbus Circle on 59th St, it bypasses all the Central Park stops until Harlem at 125th St. If you mess up, you can usually just exit the platform and cross over to the other direction and backtrack on a local.
  • Trains are identified by letter or number (the differences are because they system is was originally built by three different companies, there's no special meaning beyond that). Trains that share the same tracks in Manhattan are shown in the same color (but people don't identify them as "the red or blue line") They use the terminii to identify which line and direction. For instance Northbound trains will usually be identified as "uptown" or "Bronx" and Sounthbound trains as "downtown" or "Brooklyn."
  • Speaking of construction, it's continual. Especially on nights and weekends, it's not uncommon for an express train to take over for a local for a stretch, or less commonly, close a station. The aforementioned apps and website will have the info and it will be posted on the platform. In my experience, the work seldom has affected my plans and was almost always on stations far from my plans in Manhattan in teh middle of the night. Contrary to popular beliefs, I've always found most New Yorkers to be helpful (just don't waste their time - try to clearly ask your question without a lot of unasked opinions or dithering)
    http://travel.mtanyct.info/serviceadvisory/default.aspx
  • Unfortunately, some stations (a minority) have entrances on either side of the street without a crossover, so if you're heading in one direction and enter on the wrong side of the street, you can only catch a train going the wrong way. The station entrances are marked (e.g. "uptown only") if this is the case. And if you find yourself stuck, just ride to the next stop and cross over. As earlier mentioned, most trains in Manhattan go North-South, so in general, it helps if you just head to the entrance on the correct side of the street.
  • When boarding - first wait for people to exit. Then, quickly walk into the train and don't hesitate at the door - people are waiting behind you. True also at turnstiles, stairs and escalators - be aware that people are behind you. Don't block them.
  • If you're visiting in the summer, be aware, the platforms get HOT. The stations aren't air conditioned, and the AC from the trains exhaust their hot air into the tunnels. (Also there are steam pipes beneath many streets which can radiate heat into the stations)
  • Take a few minutes to explore the different options for MetroCards (the payment system). You can pay ride-by-ride or get an unlimited ride card for 7 or 30 days. http://web.mta.info/nyct/fare/FaresatAGlance.htm

I know this is a lot of information. Don't be daunted. It's pretty easy, once you know the basics. Personally, I find it easier than London and not quite as easy as Paris. It's extensive, 24 hours, and the best way to get around.