First NCL cruise will be my last NCL cruise - Bliss

jeffjeffjeffjeff

I know that all of the cheerleaders will point to the fact that NCL is well within their rights to make this change. However, the fact that they CAN do it does not mean that they SHOULD do it. Please save your electrons if you are going to quote me cruise contracts. 

Last April when I was looking to book my family's vacation my son saw a commercial about the Bliss and go karts at sea. Before we booked I made several calls to NCL to confirm that he would be allowed to ride them, BEFORE booking. Even still I had my doubts so I held off until they put it in writing on their website. Once the 48" minimum height showed up on the website I went ahead and booked. Where my son goes, His grandparents follow. All in total we have booked three cabins on the bliss.

Now, well after final payment. once we are locked into airfare and hotels NCL changes the minimum height. So I will be on a cruise with a child that has spent 10 months being excited about go karts at sea and I'm going to have to tell him he can't ride them. Calls to NCL have resulted in rude employees that don't know anything other than reading the exact text from the website.  A request for a supervisor required a 72 hour wait for a call back. It has been well over 72 hours and no call back. When I call in they tell me that it will be another 72 hours. It seems like they are just trying to kick the can down the road so they don't have to speak to me. 

I realize at this point that my relationship with NCL is over before it starts. The main reason I am even taking the time to write this post is so that parents who might have kids under 55" can see it and cancel before final payment is due. I sure wish I had seen something about it. Instead NCL just quietly slid it into the website with no notice to currently booked customers.

If you are under 55" you will not be allowed to ride the go karts (as a driver or a passanger) per Tervor at extension 22201. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ouch, that's a tough break.

We just returned from a B2B on Bliss 1/5-1/19/19 and we rode the Go Carts twice.  I've got to admit, on our first reservation, there was a very short, very young little boy in our group; without parents.  We have grand kids and are aware of height requirements; this little guy wasn't close to 55" (although we thought it was 48" required, he still didn't look that).

There must have been an issue, accident or something that happened for them to make the change.

I would continue to pursue, ask for a significant discount or on board credit and offer to sign a WAIVER for your young one to ride.

Don't give up.

We've got a review up on the Bliss, Part 2 covers the Go Carts.

Just now, jeffjeffjeffjeff said:

Formula280SS did you happen to notice if smaller kids were in the double carts? It sure would ease the sting if he could at least ride with me. 

NCL rep said "It looks like he probably wouldn't be able to because he wasn't 55". But he was very unsure of himself.

Just talked to my wife and she agreed he was on our first ride; all single riders.  She also said he wasn't even close to 48" by a long shot.

She also said when we watched a double rider cart session (slower) there we a lot of similar little ones with parents.

So, even if you don't get resolution pre-cruise; take your documentation with you when you booked and, if they give you a hard time, pressure them at the Race Track and if that is unsuccessful, at Customer Service.

It appears Corporate is giving the real hard line; but you may be able to make it work on the ship.  Especially if there are a lot of families with little ones on your cruise.

The single rider carts are FAST and it only takes ONE AGGRESSIVE rider to ruin your turn and RISK your family.  At first I was very uncomfortable for my wife and tried to staff behind here as protection from a couple of yahoo's.  We talked after about how "the little kid made out."

They usually monitor them real well, but they allow them to really fly on the top and return downhill wide open.  I would definitely try the double seats first.  Just BOOK IT at a LED screen and show up.

Edited by Formula280SS

13 minutes ago, Formula280SS said:

Just talked to my wife and she agreed he was on our first ride; all single riders.  She also said he wasn't even close to 48" by a long shot.

She also said when we watched a double rider cart session (slower) there we a lot of similar little ones with parents.

So, even if you don't get resolution pre-cruise; take your documentation with you when you booked and, if they give you a hard time, pressure them at the Race Track and if that is unsuccessful, at Customer Service.

It appears Corporate is giving the real hard line; but you may be able to make it work on the ship.  Especially if there are a lot of families with little ones on your cruise.

The single rider carts are FAST and it only takes ONE AGGRESSIVE rider to ruin your turn and RISK your family.  At first I was very uncomfortable for my wife and tried to staff behind here as protection from a couple of yahoo's.  We talked after about how "the little kid made out."

They usually monitor them real well, but they allow them to really fly on the top and return downhill wide open.  I would definitely try the double seats first.  Just BOOK IT at a LED screen and show up.

Thanks! 

My plan of attack is exactly that. Play dumb. Then if that doesn't work try to talk them into it.  Try to salvage the crappy situation.

• Like 1

For me, since there is a bunch of other fun stuff to do on the ship, I'd spin it in a positive way.  I'd tell him that you checked on the carts and they are slow and for wennies.  That for the money saved on them, you will find a go cart track locally and take him on some good rides.  And that you might even let him have the unused go kart money to use in the arcade!   Don't let the go cart thing mess up all that is good about a cruise otherwise.   I do see that our local track has a height requirement too.  

Just wanna go fast?  Come on down and ride our go karts.  And remember, if you're not first, you're last!
Go karts are $7.50 for a single or double kart (passenger rides for free!).
Buy 10 or more, get $1 off each ride!
You must be at least 54" tall to drive a single kart.
You must be at least 58" tall and have a valid driver's license to drive a double kart.
Passengers must be 3 years old or older.

• Like 1

No need to be so dramatic.   I'll bet you and your kid will have a great time.  There is a ton of fun things to do for your kid and you.   If you can't make your kids cruise a fun time, that's on you.

Enjoy.  Let us know when you get back how it went.

• Like 2

They changed the minimum height?  I do feel for you but I’m not surprised.  I do hope you will be able to ride the double cars as that is what I thought that’s what they are for.  

When we were on the Bliss my son and husband did the karts and out of the 8-10 laps they got they really only went fast for 5 laps.  There was a smaller child who was having a really hard time reaching the pedals and steering so they slowed everyone down several laps and then finally had to have the child exit the track and end.  My teenage son didn’t think the karts were all that great so we switched our Encore cruise to the Escape.  The ship is beautiful and we enjoyed our cruise so I’m sure you and your family will have a good time.

Edited by gatorchinsky
  • Like 1

Just now, jeffjeffjeffjeff said:

Thanks! 

My plan of attack is exactly that. Play dumb. Then if that doesn't work try to talk them into it.  Try to salvage the crappy situation.

In another thread, you may get some encouragement.

"The height requirement for the go carts is 48” to drive or ride solo. To ride as a passenger in a double go cart there was no specific height. They would not give me the definite ok to let my 3 year old, 37” ride the go carts until they strapped her in and made sure the seatbelts were tight enough but they did let her go. My 42” son was ok from the start. I paid $10 per person for the double go cart."

I can't imagine decided not to ever cruise or ever do anything again because of something like this. Of course you or should we say your son in disappointed but wouldn't it be better to explain the situation to him, tell him we all are disappointed from time to time and help his have fun doing all the other activities for kids. The other option which has been mentioned play dumb. If it works you are not a loser in this, nor is NCL. 

• Like 1

I was on the first sailing of the Bliss, I was REALLY excited for the go karts pre-cruise, I drive an electric car and love to drive.

On my race, I had a group of 4 guys who were racing each other and the track attendants stopped my cart to allow them to pass me (and limited my speed after putting me last). I heard from several of passengers about being rear-ended. Make a reservation for a double cart, watch a regular race and decide if it feels safe to you and fun for your son.

I love the Bliss, 34 days on her so far, but only one try at the go-carts and I pitted early, wasn't fun enough to do all 8 laps

I don't like GoCarts enough to care about having them on a ship.  I'm terribly disappointed that they dedicated so much exterior space to them on the newer ships.  I'd rather they extend the pool and deck area and maybe add another pool especially for Caribbean cruising ships.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, newmexicoNita said:

I can't imagine decided not to ever cruise or ever do anything again because of something like this. Of course you or should we say your son in disappointed but wouldn't it be better to explain the situation to him, tell him we all are disappointed from time to time and help his have fun doing all the other activities for kids. The other option which has been mentioned play dumb. If it works you are not a loser in this, nor is NCL. 

Perhaps you quit reading before you got to the point about customer service not even replying. The cheerleaders on this board are so amusing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColinIllinois said:

No need to be so dramatic.   I'll bet you and your kid will have a great time.  There is a ton of fun things to do for your kid and you.   If you can't make your kids cruise a fun time, that's on you.

Enjoy.  Let us know when you get back how it went.

I'm glad you think you have my son figured out. Because this morning he told me he was going to "do homework and ride go karts". He will probably be excited about the homework though. 

10 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

I don't like GoCarts enough to care about having them on a ship.  I'm terribly disappointed that they dedicated so much exterior space to them on the newer ships.  I'd rather they extend the pool and deck area and maybe add another pool especially for Caribbean cruising ships.

At this point so do I!

15 minutes ago, jeffjeffjeffjeff said:

I'm glad you think you have my son figured out. Because this morning he told me he was going to "do homework and ride go karts". He will probably be excited about the homework though. 

Just curious, how old is your kiddo?

And don't you have some kind of a go kart place in your city? There is one right next to our house. I mean - one doesn't have to go on an expensive cruise just to experience go karts.

My 7 yo had a blast on the Getaway, without any go karts. He did the rock climbing, the spider net, the trampoline (LOVED IT!), and the water slides. Most of these activities had a 48" min, but some had a 42" min.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

1 minute ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Just curious, how old is your kiddo?

Not sure what the relevance of that is. 

Old enough that he races his quad at faster speeds than these karts.

I'm not trying to be cheeky, but if I tell you this thread will devolve into if posters would let their xx year old kid do things. 

I would prefer it remain about NCL changing policies, notifying no one, and offering nothing in return. Not even a sincere apology.  Finally,  to top it all off promising call back that never come.

6 minutes ago, jeffjeffjeffjeff said:

Not sure what the relevance of that is. 

well, just sheer curiosity in relation to his height. There is a big difference between 48" and 55". While my kid was 48" at 6, I don't expect him to hit 55" until 8.5 yo.

P.S. Sorry to have inquired. Never mind my question.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

6 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

well, just sheer curiosity in relation to his height. There is a big difference between 48" and 55". While my kid was 48" at 6, I don't expect him to hit 55" until 8.5 yo.

P.S. Sorry to have inquired. Never mind my question.

NCL has gone out of their way to say there is no age restriction.

1 minute ago, jeffjeffjeffjeff said:

NCL is not the only vendor like that. My 4 yo was able to ride some amusement park ride, while a 6 yo girl who was visibly shorter than him was crying because she was unable to ride. Her gma was furious and kept questioning the attendant as to why a younger kid could, and an older kid couldn't.

It's not the attendant's fault. It's a safety issue that has to do with the height...

1 minute ago, jeffjeffjeffjeff said:

IMO it should be both.  Height for safety purposes and age for maturity.  You can have a larger kid who is still too young to understand what he is doing which can cause problems for other drivers.

• Like 1

I know you’re disappointed, but go to Europe, we regularly drive the very fast 2 stroke karts, the real ones, just turn up at most racetracks and they will have a proper Karting school.

Normal charge is about €10 ten laps, make sure you warm your tyres...

22 minutes ago, jeffjeffjeffjeff said:

I would prefer it remain about NCL changing policies, notifying no one, and offering nothing in return. Not even a sincere apology.  Finally,  to top it all off promising call back that never come. 

Ok let's keep it to the facts as you stated here, they changed the height policy and didn't notify anyone, do you want them to send an email out to everyone who has booked the Bliss even though it affects a very small number of passengers. What do you want them to offer? Will OBC make you son feel better or you? If he is really going to be that upset there is nothing NCL could do to make him happy but let him ride the carts. Also if he is allowed how many times would he ride them? From what I hear they book up fast and you are luck to get 2 rides, so the rest of the cruise is spoiled for because of 20 minutes? However I do agree with you about call backs they are an important thing for customer service, that being said the PCC can and will only read from the rules. They can't change them and if they said it was OK the the crew on the ship said NO the ship wins at least at that time. I would just play dumb, don't plan on a fight and if he is denied take it up on the ship. You stand a better chance of getting it resolved there instead of on the phone. It is interesting that you had your doubts to begin with and seemed to jump through hoops to make sure it was 48".

• Like 4