Carnival in Europe, missing embark on purpose?

Jasalth

Hoping someone who has sailed Carnival in Europe can answer this since Carnival can't seem to, and since I haven't officially booked yet, all they want to do is sell me! 

There is alas something I want to do outside of Rome I did not get the chance to last time in Europe due to bad tour guides. In order to make sure I get to go there this time, I was hoping to get off the ship in Rome with a day bag, do my thing, then get on one of the trains to Florence, spend the night there, and eventually get a train back to port which leaves at 7 pm the next day. 

Carnival says I can't, and I can, and well you know. 

Anyone have experience in this with Carnival? 

Thanks! 

So you would miss the ship in port and get on at the next port? Even if they tell you you can’t, I don’t see how they wouldn’t let you get on at the next port since if you accidentally miss the ship they let you get on at the next port.

I know nothing about Italy. Is there any danger they wouldn’t be able to dock in Florence for some reason? That seems like the biggest risk.

Since you haven’t booked yet, couldn’t you find a cruise that either starts, ends, or overnights in Rome so you won’t have to have the stress of this?

If you miss without telling them, they may or may not let you back on. Since they would go through the whole missing passenger routine, have the port agent waiting for you to show up, etc.  So if you did do it, you would at a minimum go through the entire routine as if you did not plan to miss it, show back up at the port, contact the port agent, etc.  Because if they felt that you missed intentionally without coordinating with them they might not be wanting to let you back on.

As such you should go through the cruise line and get permission.  If you cannot get it in advance, then you can try asking on the ship and take their answer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mexicobob said:

I doubt if you will find anybody on these boards that has deliberately missed the ship. 

Princess allows deviations from itinerary and is happy to accommodate when possible assuming there are no guarantees, you are aware there won’t be any discounts for missed days, and you agree to pay any fines or entrances fees that are assessed by the cruise operator.

It’s actually pretty common especially in Europe.

IS CARNIVAL the only cruise line you want to cruise with ???? there are so many other cruise lines that start or end a cruise in Civitavecchia the port for Rome wouldnt it be easier to look at other cruise lines? you could  fly in a day or two earlier or after have a few days and have time in Rome before or after your cruise , many will also have a port stop for Florence and Pisa 

I am assuming the OP is talking about an overnight stay in Civitavecchia port in which case you can do it.  Leave the ship when it docks and rejoin the ship before it sails the next day.  I would advise telling some crew member what you are doing.  They do not check who is aboard until it is time to sail or care about what you did while the ship was in port.   

Edited by satxdiver

I think the OP is looking at the Legend cruises in the western Med. next year - one that visits Civitavecchia one day and Livorno the next.  She wants to get off and do an excursion outside of Rome, take the train to Florence for the night, train to Livorno to rejoin the ship.  This is perfectly legal as far as Italy is concerned, but it is up to Carnival to approve her doing it.  OP, I think you need to book the cruise with a refundable deposit, then keep calling Carnival until you get someone who understands what you want to do and that it is permitted in Europe.  EM

We have left the ship in Livorno and spent the night in Florence took the train to Rome the next morning had lunch in Rome. Then took the train to Civitavechia around 3pm. We did this on the Breeze and the Vista. We just went to guest services when we boarded and told them what we were goin to do, all they  aske was that we drop  off our passports the day before and pick them up before we left the ship. We also told our cabin attendant about our plans. Just a note we boarded the ship in Barcelona.

1 hour ago, rwdtgb said:

We have left the ship in Livorno and spent the night in Florence took the train to Rome the next morning had lunch in Rome. Then took the train to Civitavechia around 3pm. We did this on the Breeze and the Vista. We just went to guest services when we boarded and told them what we were goin to do, all they  aske was that we drop  off our passports the day before and pick them up before we left the ship. We also told our cabin attendant about our plans. Just a note we boarded the ship in Barcelona.

Thank you for your experience and letting me know! 

Alas, this cruise wasn't even on my radar until I got an email about the Mardi Gras ship and went hey.. Carnival normally only goes Europe on new ships, lets go look and I found the Legend Cruise on September 8th. As for going in early, alas the biggest benefits on this cruise for me was Venice for 3 days before hand which I fell in love with, and it ends in Barcelona during the Le Merce festival which leaves me in Barcelona for another 3-4 days. So if there really was another option, I would consider it! 

As for flying into Rome first to do what I want to do, that would well.. require me going into Rome. Having spent time there just this fall, I am okay never going back. I know I am probably an oddity in this... but I can think of very few things I liked about Rome enough to even go back for 1 day. Also after our last cruise we spent 2 days in Florence afterwards and alas didn't get to do everything we wanted to because it was a high of 40 degrees F out when we were there which really limited walking the farther distances I wanted to go see. Also one of the most amazing restaurants was there where me and DH would have loved to go back to for dinner. Alas, we will have to settle for the best risotto we ever ate in Venice for 2 or 3 nights... 

I am going to see what I can try and do to avoid causing any issues on the ship, but unless I can get a real answer, I am just gonna keep my options open for now and try and plan for both situations. Thankfully the hotel I really like in Florence takes no-deposit rooms with a 24 hours before cancel window! 

Hi

we have cruise the med numerous times, as we are in the UK and also did Vista when she had her maiden season.

There were numerous problems with people getting off at ports in Italy, including Civitavecchia and not making it back to the ship because of public transport as well as some people doing exactly what you are planning and saying they wanted to get off at Civitavecchia then meet the ship in Livorno, carnival didn’t object to it but advised against it because of issues and reliability of public transport, apparently previous itineraries before ours people had done this and hardly ever managed to pull it off. We’ve travelled in Italy extensively and we still wouldn’t do it! My advice would be to choose another cruise line and start your cruise in Civitavecchia then you can spend some tome in Rome before or after the cruise without the stress and hassle of moving between ports!

When we cruised to Egypt, the itinerary had a port one day in Port Said and the next day in Alexandria. We wanted to do an overnight in Cairo instead, so we intentionally missed the ship in Port Said.  However we did this with a large group and notified the ship ahead of time that we would not be rejoining them until Alexandria.  It was not a problem.

On Horizon last year a number of people stayed off the ship in Florence and took the train to Rome and stayed the night in order to attend a morning mass given by the Pope at the Vatican. They rejoined the ship in Rome. I wish we had done the same, not for the mass but just to beat the crazy crowds and see more of the city. 

We always do a pre or post stay and it is the best part of our trip!

Last year we flew nonstop into London (super cheap air) stayed one night, flew London to Florence spent 4 nights, trained to Rome spent 1 night (been there few times) boarded ship for 8 night cruise, ended in Venice, spent night in Venice and flew back home. Wonderful! Best trip ever.

I would advise just flying in early.