Internet access on MedallionNet ships

gb88

My sister and I will be on a Princess Baltic cruise this summer. - Regal Princess  With Platinum status with Princess, I am supposed to be eligible for 250 free internet minutes.  Our ship has MedallionNet and offers a special deal for unlimited internet, if purchased prior to boarding.  How would this work if she took advantage of the "unlimited access" and I had access to the 250 free internet minutes?  Can all these minutes be accessed on multiple devices?  We will have a total of 4 devices between us.   

1 hour ago, gb88 said:

My sister and I will be on a Princess Baltic cruise this summer. - Regal Princess  With Platinum status with Princess, I am supposed to be eligible for 250 free internet minutes.  Our ship has MedallionNet and offers a special deal for unlimited internet, if purchased prior to boarding.  How would this work if she took advantage of the "unlimited access" and I had access to the 250 free internet minutes?  Can all these minutes be accessed on multiple devices?  We will have a total of 4 devices between us.   

IMO I would grab the unlimited pre cruise price for sure. 

I did not see any discounts like that once onboard.

On my Regal cruise in Nov I got unlimited for a reduced rate of $69 for a 10 day cruise for 1 device.

I lost my free Elite minutes which I didn't care about.

Not sure whether they have alternative unlimited pricing for additional devices.

The internet on the Regal is awesome and lightning fast.

Just left my device connected 24/7.

21 minutes ago, paul929207 said:

We are on the Royal next week and it appears that you lose the free minutes if you buy the package that gives you complete coverage.

again - if both are platinum and get the 150/250 minutes each ... does the platinum/elite member that DOES NOT buy the package lose their minutes also ?

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

again - if both are platinum and get the 150/250 minutes each ... does the platinum/elite member that DOES NOT buy the package lose their minutes also ?

If you both have the free minutes and only 1 purchases the unlimited then the other would be able to keep their free minutes allotted and the unlimited user would lose their minutes. That is what my TA told me.

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

I would think the person NOT buying a complete package would retain their normal minutes.

4 hours ago, gb88 said:

Platinum members have a choice, take the free 250 minutes, or purchase one of the unlimited packages. Unlimited packages are also available once on board.

Whatever package you have it is one device at a time with one log in/password. Once logged off another device can be used, but the log in/password remains the same. In other words the other person is logging in as you. You can't have 4 devices logged in at the same time.

Each of you can be can use the Princess@Sea program. This program allows on board texting between passengers you select, allows you to check your accounts, provides activity information and other things. This is a free on board program.

We're Ruby, and we didn't see this option when we booked the cruise (on the Ruby) a couple months ago at the end of May and early June.  But we just now saw the unlimited $60 offer per person for MedallionNet offered, so we'll give it a try and report back how it turned out.  We don't plan to spend too much time online but it's nice to not feel like the meter is ticking when we do.

Edited by ziggy29
  • Like 1

If you try to create a hot spot with one device so that you can use multiple devices, it is most likely blocked.  I am sure they already have this abuse shut down and is an easy thing to block.  We were on the CB a few months ago.  If you buy the unlimited before boarding or the unlimited once on board, it can be used for only one device at a time.  For those that pre-purchase the unlimited indeed you will lose your free internet time.  Alternative is to buy unlimited on the ship for $9.95/day which is what was offered to me when I inquired about what was available after I used up my gratis time.  With the fast internet offered, I did not use up my time on a 14 day cruise.

So is it indeed a good, fast connection without a lot of drops? I'm self employed so I'm strongly considering bringing my laptop on my cruise so I can keep up with emails and some work. But I don't want to drag my laptop along with me if the internet doesn't work well enough to use. 

I don't mind bringing my laptop to different parts of the ship if the connection is better in the atrium or near the library, for example, than it might be in my room. I just need to be able to connect somewhere!

On 1/26/2019 at 2:58 PM, paul929207 said:

I would think the person NOT buying a complete package would retain their normal minutes.

You would be thinking right. I purchased the unlimited package and my wife used her 150 mins. When she ran out we purchased the $9.99 a day package. Overall it was the most cost effective for us.

I am a bit confused.  We are Platinum and get the free 250 min each.  Is the unlimited package discounted for us?  There is a disconnect for me where the Platinum member loses their free minutes when they purchase a plan...seems there should be a discount in there for us...?