Dining advice Nieuw Amsterdam

Cooper3dogs

We are booked on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska Inside Passage, RT Vancouver August 3, 2019. We are waitlisted for 8:00 pm dinner seating. My question is how difficult is it for a group of 6 to just show up at the later seating and wait for a table. Has anyone experienced this before? What would other options be?

You are waitlisted for a cruise that is 8 months away. Past history says it is very likely you will get your requested table for 6 at late seating. If you don't, you immediately go to the Dining Room Manager's desk set up when you board, and ask. Again, pretty likely you will get what you desire.

You can't just show up at traditional dining and ask for a table.

Thanks for the advice!

I think I was thinking of the "Anytime" dining option when I asked if we could show up at the late seating. Is Anytime dining served in the same main dining room?

I'm thinking positively and will definitely follow your advice CruiserBruce! 

17 minutes ago, Cooper3dogs said:

Thanks for the advice!

I think I was thinking of the "Anytime" dining option when I asked if we could show up at the late seating. Is Anytime dining served in the same main dining room?

I'm thinking positively and will definitely follow your advice CruiserBruce! 

Anytime dining is usually on the lower level of the main din8ng room. Since you are on Nieuw Amsterdam , I suggest you consider at least 1 night  in Tamarind as a group.

Open Dining diners are usually served on the downstairs level of the MDR.  Fixed Seating diners are usually served on the upstairs level of the MDR.  It's very surprising that a cruise so far out is waitlisting requests for Late (aka Main) Dining.  It is most likely you will have your request granted.  And if you receive your ship card an it shows a dining other than what you want, follow the above advice to have it changed to your liking.  It may take a day to take effect.  

In general, Main dining is not fully booked, more people prefer early dining.  If you were to go with Open Dining you can make reservations for 3 days at a time for the table size of your choice; 8pm or 8:15 should be readily available.  In Open Dining you will be seated at different areas of the dining room and have different waiters - some people don't like this, they like having a waiter that learns their preferences; others find Open Dining an advantage for flexibility and to meet more crew.  

m--

Thanks RMLincoln! Super helpful advice...

We were told that there is a large group on this particular sailing taking up most of the 8:00 seating...

I know typically most cruisers prefer early dinners, but I think maybe because this is in August, with a lot of families booked, the later dining option is popular. I can't imagine spending a busy day on an excursion, only to have to rush back to the ship and get ready for a 6:00 table! (And also the four millennials we're traveling with have no interest in eating that early.)

Thanks again!

5 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not sure how you would know that most cruisers prefer early seating. I think it varies each cruise.

It has been my experience that early dining on HAL is harder to get, Main-late fixed dining is much easier to get. 

If this cruise that the OP is asking about has a large group booking up the late seating, then this cruise may not be the usual pattern I have seen.  Yes, you are correct, it can vary by cruise.   m--

If there is a large group on board with late dining it is unlikely that many spots will open up. We had booked a cruise that had the same situation and canceled and rebooked a different date to avoid the often reported issues with large groups taking over various other locations as well. There are many posts here about people that experienced public locations on board being restricted when large groups are on board.