Difference between a 2 & 3 person cabin???

Shaded Lady

I've looked online on Carnival, looked here, I can't find an answer to a very specific question...

For our upcoming cruise we have 2 balcony cabins, one with 2 person occupancy and one with 3 (my DD, DSIL and grandson). Their cabin is not one with the upper bunk- I was told my grandson would be sleeping on the sofa.

Our room, right next door, also has a sofa... so what's the difference? What makes their cabin a 3 person occupancy? I just don't get why a 3rd person couldn't just as easily sleep in our cabin as in theirs?

Anyone out there who can fill me in on the difference? Thanks!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shaded Lady said:

I've looked online on Carnival, looked here, I can't find an answer to a very specific question...

For our upcoming cruise we have 2 balcony cabins, one with 2 person occupancy and one with 3 (my DD, DSIL and grandson). Their cabin is not one with the upper bunk- I was told my grandson would be sleeping on the sofa.

Our room, right next door, also has a sofa... so what's the difference? What makes their cabin a 3 person occupancy? I just don't get why a 3rd person couldn't just as easily sleep in our cabin as in theirs?

Anyone out there who can fill me in on the difference? Thanks!

It is usually occupancy driven. They assign a certain number of cabins that can hold more than 2. These are designated on the floor plans with a denotation differentiating the capacity of the room

I don't know that this is always the case.  The only time I sailed with three in our cabin was on the Breeze.  The back of the sofa reclined, becoming part of the bed surface.  The back of the sofas in two-person cabins doesn't recline.

Someone else with more experience can perhaps elaborate.

Just now, lcpagejr said:

It is usually occupancy driven. They assign a certain number of cabins that can hold more than 2. These are designated on the floor plans with a denotation differentiating the capacity of the room

So in other words, both of our cabins COULD sleep 3, but they've identified the one next to ours as one that WILL hold 3- am I right?

The reason I'm asking, our rooms are not connecting, but we're going to open our balcony dividers... on those nights that my grandson is with us and my DD & DSIL want to stay out late, he could just as easily sleep on our sofa if there's no difference.

Just now, bury me at sea said:

I don't know that this is always the case.  The only time I sailed with three in our cabin was on the Breeze.  The back of the sofa reclined, becoming part of the bed surface.  The back of the sofas in two-person cabins doesn't recline.

Now THAT makes sense... as usual, bury me- you helped me out!

Since our cabins will be connected at the balcony, I guess we'll just let my grandson sleep in his own cabin, and we can check on him as we need to on those nights his folks want to trip the light fantastic without the old folks or their young'un!

1 minute ago, bury me at sea said:

We posted simultaneously.  If your plan is that he'll fall asleep there ask your steward for extra sheets.

Is this your Vista cruise?

Yes... my grandson was asking me where he would be sleeping- he was kind of hoping he'd be in an upper bunk but I told him no, the sofa is for him... then he wanted to know if he could sleep in our cabin if his mom and dad were out late- that started me wondering about how the cabins were configured for 3...

I bet if you explained to your cabin attendant he or she would be happy to make up your sofa as a bed too. Sofas on the Breeze are static and no folding/unfolding is needed. Think "daybed". The reason for assigning a max occupancy to a certain block of triple cabins has more to do with life boat assignments. So even though a cabin could sleep 3, if it isnt designated as such for life boats, then 2 is max. 

49 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

We have traveled many times with 3 in a cabin including the Breeze.  The back of the sofa did not recline.  They removed the pillows and/or bolsters and made up the rest like a bed.  One flat surface with no moving parts.   I do believe it has to do with occupancy for the lifeboats like the others have said.

21 minutes ago, luv2trvlnow said:

We have traveled many times with 3 in a cabin including the Breeze.  The back of the sofa did not recline.  They removed the pillows and/or bolsters and made up the rest like a bed.  One flat surface with no moving parts.   I do believe it has to do with occupancy for the lifeboats like the others have said.

You could surely be right.  I simply know the sofa bed had no back when made up as a bed.

The OP's grandson, however, should have no trouble sleeping on the sofa in her cabin.

“Shaded Lady,” I’m so glad you posted this.  My parents, their kids, and their grandkids are cruising over Spring Break, and we’ve all been wondering what happens if the youngest (age 3) decides he wants to sleep over in other people’s cabins.  It sounds like it should be pretty simple to just ask the cabin steward to prepare the couch for him, regardless of whether or not the cabin is officially a 3 person occupancy.

Thanks for all the input... I'm pretty sure, as several of you have said, I can let my grandson sleep on our sofa if he wants to...

He sometimes gets a bit nervous about sleeping alone in strange places, although he seems to be outgrowing that (along with his shoes, his jeans, his shirts LOL!!). I just wanted to be sure it would be okay if he didn't want to sleep in the empty cabin alone til his parents got back from wherever... mind you, if I know him, he'll be the last one asleep at night and the first one up each morning!