Princess Cays Fire

CRLess

14 hours ago, fishin' musician said:

Island time seems to rule the schedule no matter where you are in the Caribbean/Bahamas.

As my man Jerry Jeff Walker sang:

when they say ‘right away’

they may not mean ‘today’ 

We now stay on the ship when visiting PC as we are not beach people.  Since most get off for the beach the ship is a virtual ghost ship and we love it.  No lines, no chair hogs, elevators always ready, HC empty and so forth.  We stay on the ship in ports we have been to many times before such as Great Cayman but the ship never seems to be as empty as a visit to PC.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

About a dozen. 

While we didn't sign up for our cruise "just because" Princess Cays was on the itinerary, nonetheless, we WERE looking forward to stopping there as it is the best opportunity for a beach day.

I called Princess yesterday and as of that time, I was told that the itinerary had not changed... that things were on a "wait and see" and "day to day" basis.  They also said that if there was a change in the schedule, we would be emailed reference to it.  So far, I've not received anything from them regarding such a change.  I guess we'll find out Monday.

dlm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisingIsBest said:

Royal is in Grand Turk today... although I don't know if that was the intended port, or the substituted port.

We are on the Royal Princess in Grand Turk today, and it was on the original itinerary. Not a change due to the P. Cays fire.

• Thanks 1

We've been there 10 times since 2002.  I used to snorkel there and one time snorkeled off a boat (excursion); it was so-so snorkeling in terms of variety of the fish, but nice just being in the water when latter wasn't cold (happened a few times).  My DH is very fair so avoids being in the sun too long, but we always enjoyed going up the observation tower; wonder if it burned, too.  Also always ate lunch there.  Hope it's back up and running soon.

On 1/31/2019 at 8:18 AM, nbsjcruiser said:

Any word on what the ships are doing next week? I know the Caribbean Princess is supposed to be in there as the first day of her Eastern itinerary.

We will be on the Caribbean Princess on Feb 9.  A fellow cruise posted a You Tube news article from that area yesterday that said they should be back a little over a week.  The part of the article that speaks of this is at 1:09.  I am so hoping it is ready for us as I really enjoy going there.  

1 hour ago, CUontheC said:

We will be on the Caribbean Princess on Feb 9.  A fellow cruise posted a You Tube news article from that area yesterday that said they should be back a little over a week.  The part of the article that speaks of this is at 1:09.  I am so hoping it is ready for us as I really enjoy going there.  

Don't get your hopes up.

8 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Nothing moves until the insurance company gives the green light.

Yes that is for sure....this was just an article...we don't need to dissect it.  We all know it will be when Princess says it is.   Just some food for thought.

6 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Hmm,  didn't read the prior posts that said more than likely that this is more likely a self insurance type of situation.

The replacement cost will likely be well under any "deductable" that is involved

2 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Do you know for sure that they are not self insured?  This most likely does not reach the value of the deductable on their co insurance policy.  Even if it does most commercial policy for this size company require them to document, but not wait for an insurance adjuster.

• Like 1

Hello cruisers,

We will resume calls to Princess Cays, Bahamas, with the first scheduled call by a Princess vessel on February 4. No Princess Cruises itineraries were impacted by this incident.

A fire on January 28 damaged several operations buildings on the south side of the island, but no guest-facing facilities were impacted except one of several available public restrooms. All guest facilities have been inspected, and reported safe and operational. In the staff-only operations areas, work is already underway to restore the affected buildings and equipment.

There were no guests at Princess Cays at the time of the fire, and no injuries were reported. The cause of the fire is currently under investigation.

If you have any questions, please call 1-800-Princess or contact your travel professional.

We hope to welcome you onboard soon!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2019 at 3:05 PM, Loonbeam said:

I agree, we have no idea what resources Princess/Carnival is willing to throw at this, nor do we know how bad the damage does (Princess corporate is probably getting boots on ground just about now). 

However, based on past experience, they don't seem to consider it a priority when a location or port goes down (let's be honest, if it was that important for revenue they would put in a dock, given the number of times its missed due to weather).  My assessment is based on how they have handled similar situations in the past, plus the fact there are enough options in the area to avoid a sense or urgency.  I don't see them paying for disaster relief levels of operations, I certainly could be wrong.

Private Islands are less about revenue and more about control  (especially in the days of beverage packages where per-drink revenue is much less) in the sense that they control the entire experience without sharing monies with or having to deal with local tour providers, etc.    They make some money sure, but when you consider food and facilities are generally included, not that much as one might think.

My expectation would be, if you are schedule for Princess Cay between now and say, June at least, likely August, expect an itinerary change and have ideas for what you could do at other alternative ports to snap up excursions when avail.

Seems they will be back in service Feb 4.  Far less then even the 30 days I estimated. Amazing what they can do when they need to.

Edited by RDC1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RDC1 said:

Seems they will be back in service Feb 4.  Far less then even the 30 days I estimated. Amazing what they can do when they need to.

It seems that while the buildings were badly damaged the power equipment itself may not have been (not officially confirmed but reports indicate the generator itself did not suffer anything other than cosmetic and needing some lines replaced).  Or at least not total loss of capacity, which is what I originally thought.

Have not heard if water system itself sustained damage but that can be worked around more easily.