Princess Cays Fire

CRLess

1 minute ago, Loonbeam said:

I think you strongly understimate the logistics of getting replacements, easily available yes, but easily available on that island, including skilled labor (which also means housing), not so much.   Not to mention the procurement process, etc. 

Lets take one minor logistical challenge, pouring concrete.  There is likely no power nor potable water at the site, so all concrete will have to be trucked in.   How many concrete trucks do you think there are on Elutherea that are available on short notice?

To do the cleanup and rebuild itself, temporary power generation and structures need to be brought in just to stage that, which may incur approvals, etc.

Sure, anything can be speeded up to a point by throwing money at it, but there's a certain amount of logistics that can't be compressed.  I stand by my assessment that 3 months would be next to impossible unless there is less damage than feared, and 6 months even a stretch and throwing a lot of money at it.  And I don't see Carnival paying accelerated rates, there's no real reason for them to, they have other options.

Depend upon what you are willing to spend.  I think you might be over estimating the size and scope of the buildings.  Take for example desalination.  I have used AMPAC as a supplier.  They make a desalination unit, pre-assembled, that can product up to 24000 gallons per day that comes on a pallet that can be dropped into place by helicopter (I have done so). Technically foundations not needed.  They usually have them in stock.  Most water used is for restrooms and food prep cleanup, plus some rinse off showers that that should be adequate, if not bring in 2.  Surplus can be tanked during days when ship not in port.

I expect that Carnival will pay accelerated rates because the options all have negative impacts.

Ok you say 3 to 6 months and I  say that you will have ships calling there in less than 60 days. Easy to see in a few months who is correct.

• Like 1

Happily, no one seems to have been hurt. Headed out on Regal Feb 24th. Nothing updated on the Princess site yet.

I know some love it, but I never really cared for Princess Cays. Tenders, nothing really to do, like the Giligan's Island of private islands... not even a pool and bar like Grand Turk. Best part of stopping here was you have a quiet ship. It's a Western itinerary so it will be interesting to see where (if) there's an alternate stop. Hope so vs. just another sea day.

I think RDCI is right about the time needed to get the infrastructure back up and running.  In fact, he is allowing Princess far more time to get this running than I would!  Not counting restoring the burned trees and shrubs and other foliage, I'd allow 4 to 6 weeks to get up and running.

Less than a week to get the four building pads cleaned up.  Cleaning up the rest of the area can be done while construction is being done.  They probably have brought in large diesel generators already.  Small ATV vehicles in a day or two.  Power washers, whatever else in a couple of days.  

Week Two should be enough to pour new concrete slabs for the four buildings -- assuming that the old slabs need to be removed and re-poured.  How large were the footprints of the four buildings?  I am guessing that the tool shed, maintenance shed and generator shed weren't larger than 500 sq feet each, and the water plant was under 2,500 sq feet.  Bring in the rebar and the concrete and get it poured quickly.  (You can use sea water for mixing concrete.  www.theconstructioncivil.org/sea-water-for-mixing-concrete)  

Week Three:  Bring in prefab buildings, get them thrown up in under a week.  We are talking four small buildings, in a community in which there should be minimal red-tape because of the influence of the builder as a major taxpayer and income generator.  

And Princess does have connections with freighters and tugs, and can get materials and equipment moved in and out pretty easily.  It isn't like a small homeowner needing to bring in heavy equipment.  It is Princess Cruise Line, for Heaven's sake!

Week Four:  Bring the ships back in!

No asbestos abatement.  No other nonsense.  Just get 'er done!

Edited by Mike45LC

3 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

We're on the Caribbean Princess doing an Eastern on February 23. Was supposed to be Princess Cays, St Thomas, St Maarten. I've got my fingers crossed for San Juan instead of Princess Cays not sure if they can pull that off or not.

San Juan is too far away.

Amber Cove is a possibility if not otherwise in use.

In my local walkers group this would be a perfect scenario for a betting pool.  Something over which we have no control but for which an end date could be predicted.  I’m going with 6 weeks as I think the CC will try to push the package and the Bahamas has no real reason to set any delays.  We can all check back in the next few weeks.  If I am correct I will post the address to which you can send the checks.  LOL. 

Seriously glad there were no reported injuries as well.

8 minutes ago, wheezedr said:

In my local walkers group this would be a perfect scenario for a betting pool.  Something over which we have no control but for which an end date could be predicted.  I’m going with 6 weeks as I think the CC will try to push the package and the Bahamas has no real reason to set any delays.  We can all check back in the next few weeks.  If I am correct I will post the address to which you can send the checks.  LOL. 

Seriously glad there were no reported injuries as well.

8 weeks, unless equipment is shipped on a slow boat from China :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

They using Holland America’s island for the time being Half Moon Cays. 

They can use Holland America's Island for some cruises, but not others when it is already schedule for another ship.

50 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I think RDCI is right about the time needed to get the infrastructure back up and running.  In fact, he is allowing Princess far more time to get this running than I would!  Not counting restoring the burned trees and shrubs and other foliage, I'd allow 4 to 6 weeks to get up and running.

Less than a week to get the four building pads cleaned up.  Cleaning up the rest of the area can be done while construction is being done.  They probably have brought in large diesel generators already.  Small ATV vehicles in a day or two.  Power washers, whatever else in a couple of days.  

Week Two should be enough to pour new concrete slabs for the four buildings -- assuming that the old slabs need to be removed and re-poured.  How large were the footprints of the four buildings?  I am guessing that the tool shed, maintenance shed and generator shed weren't larger than 500 sq feet each, and the water plant was under 2,500 sq feet.  Bring in the rebar and the concrete and get it poured quickly.  (You can use sea water for mixing concrete.  www.theconstructioncivil.org/sea-water-for-mixing-concrete)  

Week Three:  Bring in prefab buildings, get them thrown up in under a week.  We are talking four small buildings, in a community in which there should be minimal red-tape because of the influence of the builder as a major taxpayer and income generator.  

And Princess does have connections with freighters and tugs, and can get materials and equipment moved in and out pretty easily.  It isn't like a small homeowner needing to bring in heavy equipment.  It is Princess Cruise Line, for Heaven's sake!

Week Four:  Bring the ships back in!

No asbestos abatement.  No other nonsense.  Just get 'er done!

You can fit a 100,000 gallon per day desalination unit in a 3 axle tandem trailer (14X30) (you can buy one off the shelf in that configuration) figure water storage is in outdoor tanks so the building size for the water system is much smaller than 2500.

6 minutes ago, STREETKING said:

I believe Half Moon Cay will handle multiple ships.

They used to handle multiple smaller ships. Not sure about large ships. I haven't kept up with HAL. Maybe they have expanded.

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

They used to handle multiple smaller ships. Not sure about large ships. I haven't kept up with HAL. Maybe they have expanded.

Their current schedule has a maximum of around 4600 there at one time.  The busiest on the schedule is with the Nieuw Statendam and the Konigsdam there on the same day.  The only time with two ships is when there are two HAL ships there.  Many of the days are already filled with Carnival ships.

6 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

Their current schedule has a maximum of around 4600 there at one time.  The busiest on the schedule is with the Nieuw Statendam and the Konigsdam there on the same day.  The only time with two ships is when there are two HAL ships there.  Many of the days are already filled with Carnival ships.

So a Royal or Regal plus on other new HAL ship maybe too much. 

Edited by Coral

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

So a Royal or Regal plus on other ship probably won't work.

No unless they have a lot of unused capacity.  They also seem to be keen to not mix Carnival and HAL ships there at the same time. 

Edited by RDC1

We usually tender over for an hour or two, I go snorkeling, DH lounges. We then head back to the ship for a far superior lunch and the enjoyment of a peaceful ship. However, we are traveling with friends and relatives on our cruise in February. All are Princess newbies (some are cruise newbies) and three are from the Northeast. None of them have been to the Bahamas. The ones from up north were really looking forward to a tropical beach day and are really disappointed that it will most likely be cancelled. I, on the other hand, would be happy for another sea day especially since we are on the Western leg so there will be another 3 ports of call. 

I think some of us on this board are a little jaded when it comes to Caribbean vacations. For some, being able to spend the day on a white sand beach with crystal blue water is an experience they may have only once in a lifetime. 

Edited by hllwdcruiser
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, voljeep said:

Grand Turk would be a most excellent alternate port day...:classic_cool:

Nassau, not so much ...

I agree!  When we choose a cruise we will not do one that goes to Nassau. Grand Turk is pretty and the people are very nice.  If the island isn’t ready by May I think we will choose another cruise.  😢

We've been to Half Moon Cay when there was another ship there--but the combined number of passengers was less than one Grand-class ship. We were also on one of the fall cruises the year a hurricane damaged Princess Cays. We went to Nassau. I'd say on the ship if we went there again.

5 hours ago, RDC1 said:

That's 5300 passengers on those two ships.