Rooftop Terrace on Summit

CruisinCrow

I was looking at some pictures of Summit and saw some of the Rooftop Terrace.  I don't remember it from our last Summit cruise in 2015.  When was it added?  Is it an adult-only area like the Serenity areas on Carnival ships?  Or is it just a spot with ungraded chairs?

4 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

Thanks!  I'm not sure we ever got up there on our last cruise either.  That's why I wasn't sure if it was new or if we'd just missed it.  Do they show movies at night?  

Yes. Just an FYI the steps up to the rooftop (unless they've changed them) from the Sunset bar are very steep. My niece who was 2 weeks out from knee surgery (5th overall) had a tough time going down and had to go step by step sideways (she was only 22). So if older or have issues with your knees I'd avoid the stairs from the Sunset Bar.

2 minutes ago, snyniew said:

Yes. Just an FYI the steps up to the rooftop (unless they've changed them) from the Sunset bar are very steep. My niece who was 2 weeks out from knee surgery (5th overall) had a tough time going down and had to go step by step sideways (she was only 22). So if older or have issues with your knees I'd avoid the stairs from the Sunset Bar.

They have 2 sets of stairs forward one on each side of ship.  They also have a ADA lift for those with mobility issues.    You are very correct about the stairs AFT that go down to the Sunset Bar -  VERY STEEP. 

After the revitalization next month, that space will still be general access, correct? Not converting to a suites-only space, since they're getting that on 12 forward? Thinking that would be a nice spot to spend evenings and relax a bit (at least while we're still in warmer climes).

On 1/29/2019 at 1:38 PM, Jim_Iain said:

They have 2 sets of stairs forward one on each side of ship.  They also have a ADA lift for those with mobility issues.    You are very correct about the stairs AFT that go down to the Sunset Bar -  VERY STEEP. 

Jim,

I sail Summit quite frequently (about 6 times a year).  Never once when I was on the ship was that ADA lift operational.  It was out of order every single time I sailed in 2018.  Hopefully with the "revolution" upgrade they'll get that lift working.

9 minutes ago, jcpc said:

I sail Summit quite frequently (about 6 times a year).  Never once when I was on the ship was that ADA lift operational.  It was out of order every single time I sailed in 2018.  Hopefully with the "revolution" upgrade they'll get that lift working.

I don't have  mobility issues, nor does my husband, so I don't pay as much attention to that ADA lift on the M-class ships as some other passengers.  But I think that it has been an issue (ie, often doesn't work) on other M-class this as well.  If I am wrong, please correct me.

Not only do they show movies, but during the day I've noticed a variety of shows on the screen as I've walked through, and I spent a couple nights watching the NCAA Men's Basketball tournament up there.  Very fun (as long as the reception was good)

24 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

Not only do they show movies, but during the day I've noticed a variety of shows on the screen as I've walked through, and I spent a couple nights watching the NCAA Men's Basketball tournament up there.  Very fun (as long as the reception was good)

They also offer the for-fee "Taste of Film" event there - with snacks and a food-themed movie - on occasional evenings.

A couple of problems with the Rooftop terrace.  If you are in AQ, be sure you cabin isn't close to this venue as the loud noise from the movie screen might disturb you.  Also, the garden does have a entrance from the hallway near many AQ cabins- so beware.

It also wasn't used much by guests.  Hot and sunny in the day.  I wonder if this will become a suite deck when the ship is " edgeified"