Interesting morning on the Allure regarding deck chairs.

16 hours ago, Paulette3028 said:

When I have wanted a chair or two, and no personal belonging is on except the towel, and I have seen that 'no one' has shown up for more than 30 minutes.....I move their towel and sit my belongs and me down.  I have had someone approach me and say I was sitting on their chair....I politely say 'No one was here when I came by and I sat down'....there usual reply is...'but my towel was here' and my reply is....'not when I came by, I brought my own'.  Only once did it get a little wordy, but after me paying them 'no attention' they moved on, muttering under their breath about the charge they would see on their sea pass card for NOT returning their towel.  NOT MY PROBLEM, theirs!  

BTW, if I leave my chair (which I do) to go in the pool, my shoes and beach bag are there....if I go to the bathroom, my coverup and beachbag are there....leaving just a towel as my 'calling card' isn't my style.  If I go to the Jammer for lunch my beachbag and usually a tee shirt is there....and I let the people around me know where I am off to.

But an 'entire row of towel covered chairs' doesn't scare me at all!  

I put my shoes ON the lounger if I go in the pool, but I never just go to find food or something.  If I'm there, I'm there to get in the water.  I don't just suntan.  Lately, we just go to the pool and set our stuff down near it and don't occupy any lounger...But I have often related our experience with chair hogs on these boards.  We found some chairs that had towels on them and they were located near the tables where people were playing cards and games.  These people had the nerve to take up not one but two tables and when we waited quite a while and no one came, we removed the towels and sat down.  Dang if folks at the table, which was within 6 ft of us started telling us those were their loungers.  Needless to say, we did not move.  They gave us the stink looks but occupying two different chairs per person...that was just too inconsiderate.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I put my shoes ON the lounger if I go in the pool, but I never just go to find food or something.  If I'm there, I'm there to get in the water.  I don't just suntan.  Lately, we just go to the pool and set our stuff down near it and don't occupy any lounger...But I have often related our experience with chair hogs on these boards.  We found some chairs that had towels on them and they were located near the tables where people were playing cards and games.  These people had the nerve to take up not one but two tables and when we waited quite a while and no one came, we removed the towels and sat down.  Dang if folks at the table, which was within 6 ft of us started telling us those were their loungers.  Needless to say, we did not move.  They gave us the stink looks but occupying two different chairs per person...that was just too inconsiderate.

I have often suggested to Royal that they should put cubbies in the pool area, similar to those that they have near the jaccuzzi's in the solarium (on some ships), where people who just want to go in the pool and not sunbathe, can put their shoes, glasses, watch (any personal items) and towel and not even take up any chair or lounger.  That would work for people like you.  Taking up two chairs per person in inconsiderate.

Edited by Paulette3028
  • Like 5

The only thing I would worry about is moving the wrong stuff. I mean, if there are a bunch of people in the pool or hot tubs, I would hate to move any of their belongings by accident. That 30 minute rule should not apply to them, since they are using the area as intended, and should not lose their chair because of it. Luckily, I have never had to move anything. 

1 hour ago, Mikew0805 said:

The only thing I would worry about is moving the wrong stuff. I mean, if there are a bunch of people in the pool or hot tubs, I would hate to move any of their belongings by accident. That 30 minute rule should not apply to them, since they are using the area as intended, and should not lose their chair because of it. Luckily, I have never had to move anything. 

I can always find a lounger with JUST a towel on it.  If the towel is visibly damp, it's obvious that the person was in the pool/hot tub and has likely gone to get a drink, use the toilet, etc.  I leave those be.  But a folded towel, or a pristinely-laid-out-never-laid-upon towel, those are fair game to me anymore.  

If they come back within 30 minutes, I can give them their chair back and go find another unused towel saving an unused chair.  

Honestly, though, the only time anyone ever came back was WAY longer than 30 minutes... they had gone to the MDR for lunch  (I had watched them leave when I was in the hot tub earlier).  I just continued my nap while they complained. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikew0805 said:

Generally someone in the pool actually brought more down to the pool than just their towel....maybe hat, maybe sunscreen, shoes could be left under the chair.  Yes, someone IN the pool should not be penalized for not using their chair.....but it is easy to figure out who 'left behind something, just to save the chair -- for later'.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steveru621 said:

Now that the pools have restricted hours, you will find many chairs already taken in the solarium even before the pool opens.

Explain, please....I was on Mariner in November.  Pools are open from early in the morning to late in the evening. Lifeguards are on duty during those hours....unless of course pool is totally closed for maintenance. 

2 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

Explain, please....I was on Mariner in November.  Pools are open from early in the morning to late in the evening. Lifeguards are on duty during those hours....unless of course pool is totally closed for maintenance. 

I have to double check on the opening times.  Over our last 3 cruises the pool hours seem to be shrinking.

On Adventure the Solarium pool was not open until 8AM, I believe it closed at 7-8 PM.

One main pool was open early but the second pool and kiddie area were not open until 8AM.

Hi TinkBellaMom ☺️

I see you were on Allure. Specifically in the Solarium with your 90 year old father & I'm so sorry you had to deal with this.  

Here is picture of a moveable stand sign, stating the 30 minute rule from Allure's Solarium.

During my next sailing, I think I might take the sign itself directly to guest services or the towel stand, LOL! 😊

But I'll probably just snap a photo & get a crew member. However I will certainly be tempted to do so. I would not accept any crew member at all telling me "You have to get here early". 

That is not acceptable & no one from guest services or the towel station should've told you that. 

Chair hogs are so frustrating to deal with. 

I would never remove anyone's items, but I would bring a crew member to their rule policy sign or I would bring the sign to them if I were told "I have to get there early"..

aca9503d-6513-4a0c-944a-91e3a756afb8-ori

☺️

Edited by PortSideCruzan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I've come to the conclusion that staff are reluctant to enforce the no reserving chairs policy for fear of receiving less than a 10 score on the post cruise evaluation.  They live and die by the 10.

Nothing will change until enough passengers complain - like we did about smoking.

As far as I am concerned, the way for the staff to get a 10 from me would be to enforce the no reserving policy, not ignoring it. surely it is part of the job. 😕

• Like 4

Perhaps one solution is for the cruise line to put numbers on the loungers and charge a rental fee for them.  Maybe you rent them for 1 or 2 hour blocks.  The moment you have a reservation and a receipt all of the problems go away don't they?  Run it like ticketmaster with a map of the loungers on the decks like you would an arena.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PortSideCruzan said:

Hi TinkBellaMom ☺️

I see you were on Allure. Specifically in the Solarium with your 90 year old father & I'm so sorry you had to deal with this.  

Here is picture of a moveable stand sign, stating the 30 minute rule from Allure's Solarium.

During my next sailing, I think I might take the sign itself directly to guest services or the towel stand, LOL! 😊

But I'll probably just snap a photo & get a crew member. However I will certainly be tempted to do so. I would not accept any crew member at all telling me "You have to get here early". 

That is not acceptable & no one from guest services or the towel station should've told you that. 

Chair hogs are so frustrating to deal with. 

I would never remove anyone's items, but I would bring a crew member to their rule policy sign or I would bring the sign to them if I were told "I have to get there early"..

aca9503d-6513-4a0c-944a-91e3a756afb8-ori

☺️

The picture of the sign cracks me up.  Last year on Grandeur, my 89 year old dad and I went to the solarium.  There were saved seats.  We sat further away.  He just wanted to be in the hot tub for a bit.  We hung out in the chairs for a bit and then I walked him over to the hot tub.  Now, my dad is deaf and legally blind so I have to guide him.  After about 20 minutes or so, he asked to be led to the hot tub.  I took him over and we both got in for a bit.  I kept looking at the lounger that sat empty except for a towel and sunglasses. 

Instead of making my dad get out, walk across the deck back to our seats, I got out, grabbed that sign, moved it over to the lounger (probably 20 feet away), and removed the towel and sunglasses.  I took it to the towel station. 

We probably stayed another half hour or so and we never saw the person return.  I was ready for them though!  It was probably a bit overkill with the sign, but what could you do if you walked up, saw the sign, and saw a 89 year old man in your seat who for sure couldn't hear you and probably wouldn't see you.  LOL 

• Like 3

Iwas on the Grandeur and early one morning  we decided to take an early walk like 430 /500am  and we watched the crew arrange the chairs, right behind the was a crew member dropping a towel on every chair,  They jumped when they saw us. My theory  is more chairs taken ,the more people will be inside spending money.

12 hours ago, 5xGrandma said:

Iwas on the Grandeur and early one morning  we decided to take an early walk like 430 /500am  and we watched the crew arrange the chairs, right behind the was a crew member dropping a towel on every chair,  They jumped when they saw us. My theory  is more chairs taken ,the more people will be inside spending money.

Actually, a few years ago on Freedom, another guest proudly explained to me that they had made "Friends" with one of the deck crew members and, with a healthy "tip", the crew members were setting towels out to reserve chairs for them so they didn't have to get up so early in the morning. They also never had to check out towels, and had fresh towels every day.

The situation is unlikely to change.  It's clear that the cruise staff is reluctant to the be the "bad guy" in enforcing its own rules.  Hogs make friends with their hog neighbors and defend each other when other cruisers or on rare occasions, staff, try to remove abandoned items  "They were just here!" 

Parties of 6+ will continue to send an early bird representative to hog chairs for everyone in their party, most of whom don't show up until 11am.  People who don't want to leave a personal item on a hogged chair will continue to use the ever popular "towel clips" to mark their spot.

I'm not interested in a confrontation with another passenger over a pool chair.  I've been on enough cruises to know how things work.  I accept that if I want a pool chair in a prime location, that I have to get up early to get it.  I'm not an entitled a** about it.  I get a chair for myself and sit in it.  I may offer to get one for my daughter as long as she's also sitting in it within 30 minutes after I get there.  If another passenger asks me about the occupants of towel-covered chairs around me, I'm truthful about how long it's been since someone sat there.  When I'm ready to leave, I try to find someone who looks like they've been looking for a while, and offer them my chair.

It's unfortunate that it works this way.  I've witnessed many confrontations between passengers over chairs - made worse when a lot of alcohol has been consumed.  By the last sea day on my most recent cruise (Oasis), people where up saving chairs in the dark!  By sunrise almost all the chairs directly around the pool area were "marked".  Only about 10% had occupants.

When we were on Harmony last August they DID enforce the rule.  In the Solarium they came around and put notes on beds that were unoccupied advising their items would be removed within half an hour (or could of been an hour)  they then returned and if still nobody on them they removed all their items.

I got a lovely bed with a lovely view out to sea!!

• Like 1

On cruises where chair hogs are running hog wild, you would think that some of the ship's officers would wander through and notice the rules not being enforced.  Passengers have a reasonable expectation that rules be enforced and order maintained.    Don't those pool attendants share in the tip pool?  Perhaps removing tips from our on-board account and instead offer tips to those who provide the expected service such as MDR servers and stateroom attendant would make a statement.

48 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

On cruises where chair hogs are running hog wild, you would think that some of the ship's officers would wander through and notice the rules not being enforced.  Passengers have a reasonable expectation that rules be enforced and order maintained.    Don't those pool attendants share in the tip pool?  Perhaps removing tips from our on-board account and instead offer tips to those who provide the expected service such as MDR servers and stateroom attendant would make a statement.

While that might ultimately work,  the people you “see” and can physically tip are not the only ones working hard too make sure you have a wonderful time unfortunately. Punishing the one for the whole isn’t best practices.  This is apparently an age-old issue....if the cruise line really held it in high regard, they’d do something about it.  Just try and share your ultimate drink package 😂