Movement on the Edge? Stabilizers?

rachelmle1

9 hours ago, rachelmle1 said:

How does the Edge handle on the ocean? Is she a rocky, rolling,  or bobbing ship - or a smooth sailor?

There are some people on this Board that will tell you the Edge is so good that it doesn't even rock and it is all due to the Edenites.  They suggest all ships should get Edenites.

• Haha 2

Just got off and I was mid ship 6 deck no issues with movement

Last day our kids felt it, they had 9100 up front facing forward, said you could really feel it up there.  it was a sea day and alitlle rough.

3 hours ago, Nitnoi said:

Just got off and I was mid ship 6 deck no issues with movement

Last day our kids felt it, they had 9100 up front facing forward, said you could really feel it up there.  it was a sea day and alitlle rough.

We will be all the way aft in a SV.  I’ve only sailed on RCCL big ships and a cabin location of smack midship.  I wasn’t sure if the way aft cabin was going to be more bouncy or not 🤷🏻‍♀️

5 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Stabilizers balance the ship in normal seas and aren’t going to do much if you’re in REALLY rough seas. You’ll feel the movement in that situation on any ship. 

Not correct, stabilizers reduce the rolling in all sea conditions but not the pitching of a ship in rough seas.

29 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Not correct, stabilizers reduce the rolling in all sea conditions but not the pitching of a ship in rough seas.

Yes, not disagreeing.  My point was you'd feel motion on any ship if the seas are rough enough. 

32 minutes ago, rachelmle1 said:

Do you find that the Edge is very pitchy?

I believe she is not different from other ships this size.

Some travellers report there is more creaking in the IF balcony cabins in rougher seas, maybe due to the different structure. This is something I always find very annoying on some ships and not a proof of high quality. I prefer the German and Finish built ships over the ones from French and Italian yards but this is a subjective view.

37 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Some travellers report there is more creaking in the IF balcony cabins in rougher seas, maybe due to the different structure. This is something I always find very annoying on some ships and not a proof of high quality. I prefer the German and Finish built ships over the ones from French and Italian yards but this is a subjective view.

We sailed RCCL’s Anthem and she was REALLY creaky in big swells.  We had to sleep with earplugs!

Truthfully, I don’t mind the creeks, but I don’t like that up and down feeling. I know things are always iffy in rougher seas, but some ships handle better than others.  I’m new to Celebrity ships (only have been on RCCL quantum and oasis classes) so I’m curious to see how the Edge differs in motion

20 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Just off Edge.  We had some rough seas on occasion.  The ship handled them extremely well with not much roll or pitch.

We were on the same cruise in a corner aft and there was quite a bit of movement, the worst being docked in Costa Maya.

6 minutes ago, Oville said:

We were on the same cruise in a corner aft and there was quite a bit of movement, the worst being docked in Costa Maya.

LOL when we were docked in that wind in Costa Maya I thought the ship was still on the open ocean until I looked outside.  The Aida ship next docked to ours was really rocking and rolling!

On 1/30/2019 at 1:44 PM, Saab4444 said:

I'm not a Naval Architect, but as I understand it the design of the Edge's bow should slightly reduce discomfort related to pitching (I don't recall if it is reducing amplitude, rate, or both).  That said, I have no idea if the effect is noticeable to passengers and there could be other design factors that have a bigger impact.  

Our cruise on the Edge was very smooth, although admittedly we had pretty good weather overall. The one day with bad weather I did not feel any rolling and pitching.  One of our friends who we sailed with has extensive experience sailing/working on ships in the Great Lakes and he stated that he was very impressed with how smooth it was sailing on the Edge; one of the best he has experienced.