Princess ATM's

I just received this notice from Princess. I haven't used their ATM's before.  Could it be a way of getting USD$ v's FX?  Does anybody know what fees the ATM charges?

"CHANGES TO ATM AVAILABILITY

Please be advised that due to a recent change from our vendor, the onboard Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs) will only dispense United States dollars (USD) and will not dispense Australian dollars (AUD).

Guests may visit the Guest Services desk onboard to exchange USD to AUD at the prevailing conversion rate for the voyage at no additional charge."

• 2 months later...

Hi on the Regal last year it was on by the deck that the gang way was located by the elevator. Never used it it.so not sure what the fee for the ATM was and the exchange rate that was charged.  This  was on the Baltic sailing last May. 

Maybe the machines get moved depending on the ports involved and the different classes of ship.

19 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Yep - looked there on both Golden and Diamond - must be well hidden. Back on Diamond on the 23rd May, will search again - just for the heck of it now!!!

Sometimes they are near the corridor that goes from Guest services to the theatre.

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2019 at 2:32 PM, MicCanberra said:

Sometimes they are near the corridor that goes from Guest services to the theatre.

Will check and let others know - always helpful not to have to hunt for essentials 😉

Edited by Porky55

It's not just the fee you have to consider, it's also the exchange rate. I don't know how good or bad the rates are but if they are similar to the dynamic currency conversion rates offered onboard then they will be 3-4% off the actual current exchange rate.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's not just the fee you have to consider, it's also the exchange rate. I don't know how good or bad the rates are but if they are similar to the dynamic currency conversion rates offered onboard then they will be 3-4% off the actual current exchange rate.

If using a US Account which is dollars no conversion rate. But the ATM does not charge you anything but the fix free, if using other currency it is your back which sets the rate they use.  

8 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The bank rate would nearly always be better than a cruise line or private ATM rate for currency conversions, cash rates are better still but then you need to find a safe refutable place to do that in port.

Again the cruise line does not have a rate, the rate is set by your bank. The only thing using the ships ATM is that they charge a fixed service fee $6.50,  and have no control over the conversion rate that is all done by your bank.

5 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

Again the cruise line does not have a rate, the rate is set by your bank. The only thing using the ships ATM is that they charge a fixed service fee $6.50,  and have no control over the conversion rate that is all done by your bank.

I was referring to any general ATMs in port so it really does depends who owns the ATM, in that case always pick your own bank.

On 4/14/2019 at 3:43 PM, Expat Cruise said:

It was under $7.00 on the Sun Princess in March, I believe USD$6.50. We used the ATM but really did not pay close attention to the fee, just that it was very small for a $4000 dollars withdrawal. 

Thanks for your answer. This is what I was wanting to know. Comparing using money exchange v's no fee card. Using the ATM onboard would be a cheaper option for me saving over AUD$10 per USD$1000.