Viking has discontinued the pre-cruise gifts

PRH

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately, the program was discontinued for sailings that embarked after December 31, 2018. We continue to actively explore new and exciting ways to enhance the Viking experience.

As an Explorer Society Member, you will continue to be among the first to know about new Viking itineraries and new ships so that you have the first choice of destinations and departure dates. While on board during your next journey, be sure to attend the exclusive Viking Explorer members‐only cocktail party.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to email us again.

Best Regards,

Guest Services Department

2 hours ago, jiminyC_fan said:

Well that's a bummer.  I sure like our blankets!

That's interesting.  Blankets?  I got a small DOP kit--empty the first cruise and the only thing that might be considered a gift the second cruise was a bag that looked more the size of a bank bag that the info came in.  All these other options I have heard about and sometimes, even choices but I would say there is a big difference from you and I described. Maybe yours was better because you started with river.  Please don't tell me they liked you better!  I saw the mention of the MO cruise. ............Just saying, you've got good taste.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dauntless said:

That's interesting.  Blankets?  I got a small DOP kit--empty the first cruise and the only thing that might be considered a gift the second cruise was a bag that looked more the size of a bank bag that the info came in.  All these other options I have heard about and sometimes, even choices but I would say there is a big difference from you and I described. Maybe yours was better because you started with river.  Please don't tell me they liked you better!  I saw the mention of the MO cruise. ............Just saying, you've got good taste.

I guess the gifts were random and not everyone was offered them.  I have no clue why but they probably like us better 😛!  I have this great friend :classic_biggrin: that took the MO cruise last year and convinced us that MO should be our next cruise. (even though I want Into the Midnight Sun more) 

We did river in 2014? And then our first ocean last March. About 60 days before the cruise, recieved an email inviting us to follow a link to a website and to select two gifts from a whole list of possibilities. We chose a travel currency adapter and a small (lipstick sized) usb battery pack.  Both were well used during our year of travel. 

We had just wondered aloud what we would pick this time when someone on the rollcall for our upcoming cruise posted a similar response he had received to his inquiry about the gifts. Sad but I don’t think it will ruin my cruise. 

Now what I don’t remember from our cruise was a cocktail party.  Have those been an ongoing thing?

Edited by Clay Clayton

11 minutes ago, jiminyC_fan said:

I guess the gifts were random and not everyone was offered them.  I have no clue why but they probably like us better 😛!  I have this great friend :classic_biggrin: that took the MO cruise last year and convinced us that MO should be our next cruise. (even though I want Into the Midnight Sun more) 

We did Into the Midnight Sun July 2018, great cruise!  Headed back to Norway for In Search of the Northern Lights.  What’s “MO”?

20 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

We did river in 2014? And then our first ocean last March. About 60 days before the cruise, recieved an email inviting us to follow a link to a website and to select two gifts from a whole list of possibilities. We chose a travel currency adapter and a small (lipstick sized) usb battery pack.  Both were well used during our year of travel. 

We had just wondered aloud what we would pick this time when someone on the rollcall for our upcoming cruise posted a similar response he had received to his inquiry about the gifts. Sad but I don’t think it will ruin my cruise. 

Now what I don’t remember from our cruise was a cocktail party.  Have those been an ongoing thing?

There’s both the Explorer Society gathering and the CC Meet & Mingle. Explorer is seated listening to a “what’s coming on Viking” pitch. Meet & Mingle is more fun.

24 minutes ago, Frenchberet said:

We did Into the Midnight Sun July 2018, great cruise!  Headed back to Norway for In Search of the Northern Lights.  What’s “MO”?

MO stands for Mediterranean Odyssey.  We did the Viking Homelands cruise.  I fell in love with Norway and Sweden but I am 50/50 and both sets of grandparents came from the "old countries".  I truly don't think I could ever get my fill of Norway.  My husband would like to go somewhere else.  Hey, we are on a cruise.  Can't be all that bad not going back, LOL.

11 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

There’s both the Explorer Society gathering and the CC Meet & Mingle. Explorer is seated listening to a “what’s coming on Viking” pitch. Meet & Mingle is more fun.

I have no memory of the Explorer Socoety gathering 

28 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I have no memory of the Explorer Socoety gathering 

Pay attention to the Viking Daily.  There was a card placed in our cabin for the M&M but not for the Explorer Society reception, which was only announced in the Daily. Re the latter, that was the case on both VR and VO, which we did last year.  In both cases, they were well attended. On the Viking Sky, it was held in the Atrium with passengers seated all around - on the stairs, up above and down below. On both the Rinda and Delling (VR) we filled the Aquavit Terrace and half the lounge. To repeat, pay close to the Viking Daily every evening. 

12 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Sad to see that many/most of the perks for repeat guest are slowly being phased out. Even the Explorer Society receptions aren't what they used to be.

Really??? They must have been truly extravagant. I thought the ones I experienced were pretty good! 😄

8 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Really??? They must have been truly extravagant. I thought the ones I experienced were pretty good! 😄

The term "exclusive" and "members only" used to describe the "Explorer Society" cocktail party on the oceans is just silly ... and frankly a little insulting.  It is held in the atrium so there is certainly no exclusivity and the last two were little more than alcohol fueled Viking pep rallies ... "look at us and aren't we great"!  On our summer cruise it was also a venue for the assistant cruise director to show us all what a wonderful performer she was!  We skipped the last one.  In fairness it is an event for those who have cruised with Viking before but nowadays more than 50% of the ship is repeat cruisers.  On our first ocean cruise there were about 70 at the party in the Wntergarden ... that was summer 2016 and since then they have been in the Atrium. 

I personally don't care much about the loss of "gifts" and pins, and truly exclusive cocktail parties, the but I do think it is a shame that Viking has slowly dropped any of the "perks" they once afforded their loyal customers.  The onboard experience continues to be great so we will always consider Viking as a travel option ... but not exclusively! 

8 hours ago, CharTrav said:

It wasn't a matter of extravagance, but they were truly exclusive and they took time to acknowledge the importance of  loyal customers and thanked us for choosing Viking.  Not a big deal but it was nice to hear ... I honestly don't think the words "thank you" crossed anyone's lips during the last one I attended!

1 hour ago, molymoo said:

It wasn't a matter of extravagance, but they were truly exclusive and they took time to acknowledge the importance of  loyal customers and thanked us for choosing Viking.  Not a big deal but it was nice to hear ... I honestly don't think the words "thank you" crossed anyone's lips during the last one I attended!

Having over 50% repeat customers is surely a good thing. At that level I can see how maintaining  a sense of exclusivity becomes difficult. But is that a bad thing? So long as they continue the practice of applying discounts for repeat cruisers, I can live without fancy receptions. Oh.. Almost forgot...yes we did hear Thank You - all three times. 

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 1

All the different experiences mentioned are interesting.  We were on our second river cruise in November, received an invitation in our cabin for the Explorer gathering.  It was very nice - open bar, appetizers, intro to the staff and captain, thank you speeches, and a shot of Aquavit for toasting.  Got back to the room and had 2 logo shot glasses as a gift!  Also got to select a free gift from a mailing shortly before we left.

3 minutes ago, K9pal said:

All the different experiences mentioned are interesting.  We were on our second river cruise in November, received an invitation in our cabin for the Explorer gathering.  It was very nice - open bar, appetizers, intro to the staff and captain, thank you speeches, and a shot of Aquavit for toasting.  Got back to the room and had 2 logo shot glasses as a gift!  Also got to select a free gift from a mailing shortly before we left.

Okay. The shot glasses are a river cruise thing. Wonder if they will continue the practice. I guess I will find out in March.

As for the choose gift e-mailing, according to OP that was discontinued for sailings after 1/31/18 and all gifts were probably delivered long before that date. You made it in just under the wire.

I second the comment about the nice free Viking blankets.  We also picked up the set of "stuff sacks" after one cruise, and an all-purpose, any-country converter plug after another.  (I always thought the gifts were post-cruise, not pre-cruise, and were intended simply as a small thank you.)  I agree on the Explorer Society meetings, at least on Ocean.  They have mostly become sales pitches from the "future cruise sales person on board."  On our last trip (Into the Midnight Sun), over 60% of passengers were repeat customers, so presumably there is really no need to reward loyal customers with a special party if most of the folks on board are repeat customers.  Frankly, I would favor smaller price hikes as the cruises become more popular over trinkets and recognition parties, but that is probably just wishful thinking.  I just hope Viking doesn't become a victim of its explosive growth and popularity!  We'll be on Jupiter in March and my biggest wish is for the same great on-board service and staff as on the previous 4 Ocean cruises.  

• Like 2

I emailed them as well about the gifts when we were about 2 months out and got the same response. Sad.

I agree with Deec....free custom air would be perfect! I forget which cruise line we get that on for being Elite or whatever, since we don't want to mainstream cruises any more, but free custom air would be the best perk ever!!

Edited by stretchcruz

I emailed them as well about the gifts when we were about 2 months out and got the same response. Sad.
I agree with Deec....free custom air would be perfect! I forget which cruise line we get that on for being Elite or whatever, since we don't want to mainstream cruises any more, but free custom air would be the best perk ever!!

Assuming you're just suggesting they waive the Custom Air fee; not free airfare, right? The latter, though awesome, would be crazy costly to Viking, and they'd likely have to raise all the fares to cover it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk