Medallion cruise

blbailey

TIMEOUT !!

13 minutes ago, cimarrongirl said:

My question is what are the benefits of the Medallion if you don't pay the extra 59.99 per person.  I have already paid for two but is it really worth it?

are you confusing the Ocean Medallion device ( like a cruise card that unlocks your cabin door ) NO EXTRA CHARGE

with

Medallion.net - which is an INTERNET package ???

5 hours ago, cimarrongirl said:

My question is what are the benefits of the Medallion if you don't pay the extra 59.99 per person.  I have already paid for two but is it really worth it?

M

5 hours ago, cimarrongirl said:

You do not pay for the medallions.  They are like your cruise card.  You use them instead of the cruise card.

On 2/19/2019 at 6:58 AM, outdoormomma said:

I was not able to purchase accessories through the app and am currently looking for the wristband and necklace holder for my group. Does anyone know where we can get them?

Also, I haven’t received my medallion yet, so I’m wondering if they are the same size as the AA/Sobriety Medallions or Military Challenge Coins, because there are a ton of options (key chains, necklaces, bracelets, etc) online that would fit if they were. Thanks!

They are smaller than the military challenge coins. Don't know anything about AA coins so can't address that part of your question.

Tom

We were on the Regal last week.  When we docked at Cozumel the medallion readers were not working properly and so no one could disembark for about an hour.  There were lines of passengers waiting to get off that stretched all the way through the ship.  Princess was very generous and gave every passenger a  letter of apology and a $25 OBC the next day.

3 hours ago, coconut cruiser said:

We were on the Regal last week.  When we docked at Cozumel the medallion readers were not working properly and so no one could disembark for about an hour.  There were lines of passengers waiting to get off that stretched all the way through the ship.  Princess was very generous and gave every passenger a  letter of apology and a $25 OBC the next day.

I was on same sailing.  I, too, appreciated the extra OBC for a minor disruption that did not affect me at all.  I was still on ship anyway, since we had 12 hours in port.  As I understood it though from ship's announcements, it was only the system on the forward gangway that was impacted.  Passengers were still able to leave using midship gangway, but it was a long line there for a bit.

We were on the Regal 2/10 sailing.  Downloaded oceanready app and did the necessary steps on line and received the medallion in the mail.  It took 5 mins. to board the ship using the medallion.  There was a line for folks who did not have their medallions that we bypassed.  They just did a quick check of our  passports.  We did not a get a cruise card.  Yes, it was simple to locate my hubby on the ship using my medallion on the ship map by the elevator!  I never used my phone--just the medallion.

5 minutes ago, Suncitycruiser1925 said:

We were on the Regal 2/10 sailing.  Downloaded oceanready app and did the necessary steps on line and received the medallion in the mail.  It took 5 mins. to board the ship using the medallion.  There was a line for folks who did not have their medallions that we bypassed.  They just did a quick check of our  passports.  We did not a get a cruise card.  Yes, it was simple to locate my hubby on the ship using my medallion on the ship map by the elevator!  I never used my phone--just the medallion.

Have they fixed the glitch that would allow someone coming into possession of your medallion device to use it to find their way to your cabin and subsequently to enter your cabin?

This was a real point of concern a couple of months ago on the CB. Princess advised they were “working on it” but we’re not able to provide any timeline for a definitive fix. 

1 hour ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

What do the accessories cost?

A few dollars to $60 up.  It depends on what you want to buy.  We were on the CB in November and I kept the medallion and its case in my pocket.  The medallion itself is slightly larger than a US quarter.  On the outside ring it had my name, ship name and the sailing date.  On the inside of the ring was the Princess symbol and was colored according to your Captain's Circle status.  The medallion was in a plastic holder (~2" x 2.5") with a ring on top for a lanyard.  They gave us a lanyard but I took mine off since I did not want it. The plastic case had a blue background that could be changed out for another color for $$.  All one had to do was open the case and change the background.  They have arm bands, fancy necklaces etc for more $$$.  For your buying convenience all of the accessories are available on the ship and charged to your folio.  It is located right next to the photo shop.  

Edited by satxdiver
  • Like 1

We were on the CB mid November and had the OM.  I had downloaded the ap and put in the information including pictures of our passports and personal pictures.  Note that the self picture you put on the ap showed up on the pad near our cabin door every time I approached so choose wisely.  I am going to change that picture next time.  I never had the door not unlock every time I approached the door.  At check in we simply had to show our passports for inspection to get our OM since there was not time to mail them out.  On boarding the ship the first time we had to stop to get picture taken and present our OM where they had a reader to read it. 

At the safety briefing, crew members had a portable reader where we placed our OM as we entered the assigned location.  Again we simply placed the OM on their reader, the light changed colors and we found a seat.  In port we placed the OM on the reader at the gangplank where again the reader changed colors and we were off to explore.  Returning to the ship was the same exercise.  

They had not initialized ordering drinks yet so the cocktail waiters took the OM to the reader to order the drinks or at the bar we simply placed our OM on the small reader.  Same was true when we bought things in the shops.  All so very easy.  

So far I was very impressed on how well it worked on the CB for the first cruise to totally use the OM.  I am looking forward to other cruises that use the OM and can hardly wait until the entire fleet uses it.  

BTW I used the new Medallion Net and running speed tests every day I was seeing over 100 mbps up and down consistently.  I was easily able to live within my free internet minutes and not having to buy any time. 

2 hours ago, Suncitycruiser1925 said:

You can purchase the medallion accessories--necklace, bracelet, etc. on the ship next to where they display the photos taken that you can buy.

Thank you for posting this info,  I have been trying to find out where you can purchase accessories.  Do you by any chance know what the price was of the leather, watch type wristband? 

9 hours ago, satxdiver said:

A few dollars to $60 up.  It depends on what you want to buy.  We were on the CB in November and I kept the medallion and its case in my pocket.  The medallion itself is slightly larger than a US quarter.  On the outside ring it had my name, ship name and the sailing date.  On the inside of the ring was the Princess symbol and was colored according to your Captain's Circle status.  The medallion was in a plastic holder (~2" x 2.5") with a ring on top for a lanyard.  They gave us a lanyard but I took mine off since I did not want it. The plastic case had a blue background that could be changed out for another color for $$.  All one had to do was open the case and change the background.  They have arm bands, fancy necklaces etc for more $$$.  For your buying convenience all of the accessories are available on the ship and charged to your folio.  It is located right next to the photo shop.  

Do you recall how much the plastic wristband holder is? 

11 minutes ago, LoveBNme said:

Would I be able to use an ID badge reel to clip on my clothes or is the medallion and card too heavy?

Its not heavy at all. I think your ID badge reel will work just fine. Provided the size/structure of the clip on the reel matches the slot in the plastic OM holder. I see no reason it shouldn’t fit. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2019 at 9:42 AM, Idratherbeatsea said:

We are on the 4/13 sailing of the Royal. This is supposed to me her first OM sailing. Fingers are crossed.

Did you get your medallion yet? I am on the Royal 4/13 too, but I could not add my reservation number to the Ocean Ready.

I always carried the card and the medallion. The bar staff sometimes asked for the card (which are color-coded by loyalty level) for the 4 digits on the lower right of the card.  This number allowed them to charge your OBC without the medallion.  I encountered this a number of times.

I was on the Regal January 27th through February 10th, 2019.

3 hours ago, LunaL said:

Did you get your medallion yet? I am on the Royal 4/13 too, but I could not add my reservation number to the Ocean Ready.

Have not been able to add reservation number to Ocean Ready. Read another post where it was suggested by Princess that 30 days prior to sailing was their timeline. Will try again. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2019 at 1:44 PM, Idratherbeatsea said:

Have not been able to add reservation number to Ocean Ready. Read another post where it was suggested by Princess that 30 days prior to sailing was their timeline. Will try again. 

Finally, I was able to complete my Ocean Ready forms (passport, picture, PIN etc.) at Ocean.com for this trip (Royal 4/13).