Mariner Points

beaming90

HAL will give you 1-star with 0 days credit.
That gets you an invitation to the Mariners' gathering on embarkation day, and an invite to the Mariners' Luncheon later in the cruise (with a souvenir tile).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Wish HAL would give us credit for all the days we have on Princess and Cunard.

Not to be rude, because I like and respect you, but why should they?  Unless and until CCL has a unified rewards program (like the hotels do with their brands ranging from high-cost luxury to low-cost economy), each line is set up to reward loyalty to that specific line.

Now what would be smart, and maybe this is kind of what you're after, would be for them to reward a combination of number of cruises, days at sea, and dollars spent.  Personally I think that would encourage what I have to think is ideal behavior from the corporation: young cruisers start in cheap cabins on Carnival, become economically able to afford Princess and HAL, then grow into the price point and sophistication of Cunard.  As they do so, they get appropriate recognition and benefits at each step.  And if they choose to "move backwards", for instance by going back to book a suite on Carnival once they have kids, they still get a nice set of rewards based on their overall level of loyalty and spending across all of CCL's brands.

• Like 3

Relax.....people get all wound up over "status" of points.    Dont fall victim  to the  program  In truth there is nothing really tangible until you get upwards of 200+ points        The discounts you get all require you to spend more than  you might.   And to get s tile??  or a special  mass reception?      Enjoy a cruise for its own intrinsic value to you... not based on some grandiose recognition idea.       Have fun what ever you choose

The OP asked a valid question because cruisers on Royal Caribbean get reciprocal credits if they book Celebrity or Azamara (and vice versa). So a Diamond level member of Royal Caribbean’s Crown & Anchor, on his first cruise with Celebrity or Azamara, receives “Elite” level benefits. 

Some of these benefits are rather tangible, such as 90 free internet minutes (180 for a couple), three free drinks loaded onto the seapass card every night (or a private nightly cocktail party sometimes), a free bag of laundry, wine tasting event, a morning breakfast lounge with complimentary cappuccinos/lattes/bloody mary/bellinis/mimosas , etc.

Help with the math. . . to any of you wonderful HAL pros?

First, thank you for all the prompt answers to the newer HAL cruisers like myself.

We have cruised HAL only 2 times, both in suites.

It appears we were awarded double days for being in a suite and a point for about each $300 we spent onboard.

My question is about an upcoming land/cruise Alaska trip.

10 day total, 7 on the ship in a Neptune Suite, with SBP.

Do we get double points just on the 7 day ship portion?  I had read on another thread that you get extra days for the SBP.  Also, do we get the extra points for onboard spending on our $800 OBC or just if we spend $300 or more above that amount? 

Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, dundeene said:

Also, do we get the extra points for onboard spending on our $800 OBC or just if we spend $300 or more above that amount? 

Think of OBC like a pre-paid credit card or a cash deposit - a way of paying for your spending. If your total charges are $1200 and you have $800 OBC leaving you $400 to pay by other means, you get credit for the $1200.  If your charges total only $600 you get credit for just that amount. The $200 remainder may be lost (if it came from HAL or Carnival Corp.) or refunded to you (if it came from your TA/friends/family/yourself.)  If your OBC is a mix of refundable and non-refundable, the latter will be used (applied against your bill) first.

Edited by catl331

3 hours ago, dundeene said:

I had read on another thread that you get extra days for the SBP. 

SBP is just like any other charge - part of your spending total that counts toward the bonus credits.

Also, I'm not positive, but I think you only get the suite double credits for the 7 days on board.

Edited by catl331

catl331

So if you are correct. . . 7 x 2 for one week in the Neptune   14 pts

Three day land tour (no suite credit )                                          3 pts

SBP @ 50/day x 7 days $350 x 2 person @$ 700

plus $800 TA OBC equals $1500 (1pt for ea $300 spent)       5 pts

So this equals 22 days of Mariner credit?

Thanks for helping me with this.

Christine

40 minutes ago, dundeene said:

SBP @ 50/day x 7 days $350 x 2 person @$ 700

plus $800 TA OBC equals $1500 (1pt for ea $300 spent)       5 pts

So this equals 22 days of Mariner credit?

No.  You don't add the $800, that's not spending. It's a way to pay for your spending. If you don't spend anything more on board than the SBP and your $224 HSC ($16/d/p) that adds up to $924 spending, giving you 3 pts. The OBC pays $800 of that, leaving you $124 to be paid in cash or on a credit card.

HAL does a very generous round-up on the spending total, but I don't think the $24 over $900 is enough to give you a 4th pt.

Edited by catl331

5 minutes ago, catl331 said:

No.  You don't add the $800, that's not spending. It's a way to pay for your spending. If you don't spend anything more on board than the SBP and your $224 HSC ($16/d/p) your OBC will pay for $800 of the $924 spending, giving you 3 pts. HAL does a very generous round-up on the spending total, but I don't think the $24 over $900 is enough to give you a 4th pt.

Not being skilled in cryptography  what is a SBP and HSC....

7 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Not being skilled in cryptography  what is a SBP and HSC....

SBP is Signature Beverage Package and HSC is Hotel Service Charge.  You haven't heard those abbreviations hundreds of times in your 11 years as a CC member??

Edited by catl331

1 minute ago, catl331 said:

SBP is Signature Beverage Package and HSC is Hotel Service Charge.  You haven't heard those abbreviations in your 11 years as a CC member??

Never....not once  however I have not cruise Holland America in  a while....Must be unique to company. and I sail others more .  Thanks    I figured out a PCC   was not Pasadena City College....

SBP is Signature Beverage Package and HSC is Hotel Service Charge.  You haven't heard those abbreviations in your 11 years as a CC member??

You DO get double credits for the land days but ONLY on Alaska land tours.  (No credit at all if you book a hotel with HAL before a regular cruise.  My tour was 3 days ship, 8 days land and I got 11 suite bonus points.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

21 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Never....not once  however I have not cruise Holland America in  a while....Must be unique to company. and I sail others more .

Yes, they are unique to HAL.  HAL started using the term Hotel Service Charge in late 2006 (I'm pretty sure) and people on this forum started abbreviating it to HSC shortly after that!  SBP hasn't been around as long.  :classic_smile:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, catl331 said:

No.  You don't add the $800, that's not spending. It's a way to pay for your spending. If you don't spend anything more on board than the SBP and your $224 HSC ($16/d/p) that adds up to $924 spending, giving you 3 pts. The OBC pays $800 of that, leaving you $124 to be paid in cash or on a credit card.

HAL does a very generous round-up on the spending total, but I don't think the $24 over $900 is enough to give you a 4th pt.

Sorry Catll331,

I am still confused. The SBP was purchased and pd BEFORE my May 22  2019 cruise. The $800 OBC from TA is in addition and in my opinion separate from the SBP. I plan on using the OBC on spa and special bottles of wine, and maybe some slots;)

2 hours ago, dundeene said:

The SBP was purchased and pd BEFORE my May 22  2019 cruise.

Anything you pre-purchase through your TA or on the HAL website such as excursions, specialty dining bookings, cabana rentals, etc, are considered as on-board spending and count toward the spending bonus.   But you are right, the OBC would not pay for anything pre-purchased.  If your actual on-board spending for things such as HSC, excursions, wine, spa, shops, slots, etc is $750, and all your $800 OBC is from your TA, you will get $50 back in cash ... but the total counted towards the spending bonus is $1450 since the SBP is included.  That will probably be rounded up to $1500, for 5 points.

Since rafinmd said that you do get double days for the land portion, your points would be

7 x 2 for one week in the Neptune                                            14 pts

Three day land tour                                                                        6 pts

Total spending $1450                                                                    5 pts

Edited by catl331