Explorer in the Baltic, 2019

Mudhen

We are considering one of the July departures....either Stockholm to Copenhagen, or Copenhagen to Stockholm.

Does anyone know what pre cruise  hotels in each city, Regent is using? Sometimes they're worth it and sometimes not.

Depends on what they're offering...

Explorer June 2019 cruises use Haymarket by Scandic in Stockholm for pre cruise. Only found a Copenhagen hotel post cruise, Marriott Copenhagen.

Edited by WesW

In 2017 they put us up in the Tivoli hotel just south of town.  It's not downtown but it was just about a 15 minute walk to Tivoli gardens and there's a nice modern mall about 10 minutes away (which came in handy when my suitcase didn't make it and I needed to buy some essentials!)

We thought the hotel was nice but not spectacular.  I'd stay there again but I wouldn't be excited about it if that makes sense.

My LW and I departed from Stockholm on Explorer in 2017 (Late Aug) and stayed at the Haymarket.  It is a converted warehouse with boutique style room, numerous restaurants and a very attentive staff.   The motif of the Haymarket is 'Roaring '20s / Hollywood'  and that was done tastefully.   The room we stayed in was large and overlooked the marketplace that appeared at 0530 and was gone by 1800-1900.  The hotel is about an easy 10 - 15 minute walk to old town and the harbor.   The breakfasts that were offered were Scandinavian fare and enjoyable - but the western world of eggs, bacon & potatoes were also available a few steps away.  We didn't partake any dinner venues - but I must say there were ample crowds in all of them each night.  4.5 Stars

12 hours ago, daetchief said:

My LW and I departed from Stockholm on Explorer in 2017 (Late Aug) and stayed at the Haymarket.  It is a converted warehouse with boutique style room, numerous restaurants and a very attentive staff.   The motif of the Haymarket is 'Roaring '20s / Hollywood'  and that was done tastefully.   The room we stayed in was large and overlooked the marketplace that appeared at 0530 and was gone by 1800-1900.  The hotel is about an easy 10 - 15 minute walk to old town and the harbor.   The breakfasts that were offered were Scandinavian fare and enjoyable - but the western world of eggs, bacon & potatoes were also available a few steps away.  We didn't partake any dinner venues - but I must say there were ample crowds in all of them each night.  4.5 Stars

Thank you all for your replies, especially from daetchief (as above). Gives us an idea of what we could expect in Stockholm.

Does any one know anything about a pre cruise hotel in Copenhagen? 

2 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Thank you all for your replies, especially from daetchief (as above). Gives us an idea of what we could expect in Stockholm.

Does any one know anything about a pre cruise hotel in Copenhagen? 

Mudhen, my previous post about the Tivoli hotel was our pre-cruise hotel in Copenhagen.  Sorry, should have mentioned which city...

Back in 2006 we stayed at the Radisson Blu hotel - almost across the street from Tivoli Gardens (the hotel is still there).  Back in 2006 we had no interest in Tivoli Gardens but did a Regent excursion there about three years ago and loved the place (even in the pouring rain).   Not super fancy but a nice Scandinavian type hotel.

There was a small grocery store next door where we purchased munchies for the room.  We would not hesitate to stay there again as we loved the location - walking distance to so many places!

For what its worth:  We are doing Explorer's August Stockholm-London-London BTB.  The Stockholm Hotel will be Sheraton.  Stayed there several years ago.  Good location.  Nothing special, but comfortable. 

GOARMY!

We will be on the Copenhagen to Stockholm cruise starting July 2nd. Being a German who often travels businesswise to both cities I know most of the hotels used by the cruise lines like Regent or Silverseas.

For Copenhagen they often use the Marriott, the Tivoli or the Admiral. All three are completely ok but far away from being exceptional. Top choice in terms of quality would be the Herman K but it has its price. The best value for money you will get probably in the Strand which we have booked on our own.

Similar situation in Stockholm with the addition that most of the rooms are rather small, as space in the city is limited and extremely expensive. Hotels often booked by the cruiselines are the Haymarket, the Sheraton and three different Radissons. All of them are ok with rather small rooms and limited service personal due to the high wages there. My personal favorite would be the Radisson Collection Strand Hotel. If you are looking for the best in quality the Grand Hotel and The Bank might be the best options.

Edited by Balian65