Norwegian fjords in August

Mrs.Dukes

We are considering taking a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords in August on either Royal Caribbean or Holland America (They have the best dates that work for us.) I was wondering if anyone had taken a cruise to the fjords in August, and if so, what the weather was like. I had read that August could be the rainiest month, and was wondering if this impacted your trip at all. Thank you for your help in advance.

4 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

late July last year we saw temps in the 90's and bright sun in Bergen, Olso, Gerainger and Flam .... at Northcap it was light jacket weather

I really hope that it will be cooler this year as that is my time frame. 🥵

For you I hope so too

the temps last year in Norway and surrounding areas were UNUSUAL to say the least. Our cruise ended in Bergen and we had hotel days there, and in Flam and in Oslo and none of the hotels had a/c (a/c is not often found in Norway) and it was a bit ruff ... arriving at our hotel in Oslo we were on the top floor and the room was easily over 100 degrees when we arrived (corner room and windows wide open ...).  Best they could offer was a fan ..... we thought if we moved to the Radisson Blu it would HAVE to be better but after determining they DID have rooms, learned they too had NO A/C . . . they did move us to a lower floor after the first night and that was a bit better.

btw we stopped in London at the beginning of the trip and while the room DID have a/c, the temps there were unusually HOT too and given the HUGE crowds it was tough sightseeing by foot . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

Last year was ridiculous. I’ve never seen temperatures like that, and it’s typically starting to cool off by mid-August. Expect rain no matter when you visit. The coast is known for it. Honestly, since the weather varies so much from year to year, I’d choose whatever schedule works best for you within the season (May to August) and be prepared for whatever weather you end up with. As the Norwegians say, «Ikke dårlig vær. Bare dårlig klær!» (There’s no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing!)

• 2 weeks later...

We were there last year week of 22nd Aug & unfortunately in Stavanger it poured so much the ship's excursion to Pulpit Rock was cancelled. We had booked privately so still went - got absolutely soaked but still loved the scenery & with all the rain the waterfalls were gushing! It also rained in Bergen for 1 day but other than that had pretty good weather & the trip was amazing!