Favorite Drink

The facebook post from John Heald about favorite embarkation day drinks was really interesting for me to look over. But--so many were drinks I haven't had or have no clue what they have in them. So, I thought I'd ask here what your favorite "kick-off" drink is and WHY you like it (what's in it, etc etc). I know I could go around looking up drink menus but I thought this would be more fun.

🍹

We always start off with the Funship Special.  It's the drink that lets us know we are on our cruise.  I can't have more than two because they are so sweet.  We usually ask for a rum floater to go with it.  After that, my favorite drink is a dirty martini with blue cheese olives at Alchemy Bar.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We always start off with the Funship Special.  It's the drink that lets us know we are on our cruise.  I can't have more than two because they are so sweet.  We usually ask for a rum floater to go with it.  After that, my favorite drink is a dirty martini with blue cheese olives at Alchemy Bar.

What’s in a funship special? I love sweet drinks.

I love the Miami Vice (sort of a pina colada/strawberry daquiri swirl)… and the Mocha Chocolate Getaway- white and dark chocolate liqueurs in a frozen drink, layered)...

If I've gotten either of the drinks wrong, I'm sure someone will provide the appropriate correction!

• Like 1

Like others, I have to start my cruise with a Funship Special, but my favorite drink is the Rum and Ginger beer, they make it with a double shot of Brugal Anejo rum, Q ginger beer and lime juice, I love how it's spicy yet refreshing!

22 hours ago, schazzy said:

...but my favorite drink is the Rum and Ginger beer, they make it with a double shot of Brugal Anejo rum, Q ginger beer and lime juice...

Until you become friends with your bartender, it's a double shot 🙂

I think that by the 3rd night of our last cruise, I was having something approaching an octuple shot.  I almost cried the next day, I was so hungover.

2 hours ago, Don Kehote said:

Until you become friends with your bartender, it's a double shot 🙂

I think that by the 3rd night of our last cruise, I was having something approaching an octuple shot.  I almost cried the next day, I was so hungover.

Yeah, a few days in on our last cruise, one of the baristas whom we made friends with (we are big coffee drinkers and we always tipped extra for the special off menu coffee drinks she made for us) was bar tending at one of the lounges and she made me a couple drinks that I think were more rum than ginger beer. I was pretty much done for the night after that. :classic_laugh:

On 2/2/2019 at 5:48 PM, 30scruiser said:

What’s in a funship special? I love sweet drinks.

Now that I'm back at my home PC where I had it saved, I can post this:

"FUN SHIP®" COCKTAIL

1/2 oz. Amaretto

3/4 oz. 151 Rum

3/4 oz. Vodka

1/2 oz. Apricot Brandy

4 oz. Fruit Punch (recipe below)

Garnish with a cherry and orange slice.

FRUIT PUNCH

2 oz. Orange Juice

1 oz. Pineapple Juice

1 oz. Sweet & Sour Mix

.25 oz. Grenadine

.125 oz. Angostura Bitters

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My “kick-off” drink used to be Strongbow, but Carnival got rid of that several years ago. So I turned to Bud Light Lime to start off every cruise, only to find out on Miracle in December that Carnival got rid of that beer. So now I am faced with a big decision to make when I board Sunshine in less than two weeks. 

1 hour ago, schazzy said:

Now that I'm back at my home PC where I had it saved, I can post this:

"FUN SHIP®" COCKTAIL

1/2 oz. Amaretto

3/4 oz. 151 Rum

3/4 oz. Vodka

1/2 oz. Apricot Brandy

4 oz. Fruit Punch (recipe below)

Garnish with a cherry and orange slice.

FRUIT PUNCH

2 oz. Orange Juice

1 oz. Pineapple Juice

1 oz. Sweet & Sour Mix

.25 oz. Grenadine

.125 oz. Angostura Bitters

Thanks so much! Sounds yummy

I really love a Red's Remedy from the rum bar. I have no idea what is in it but it's delicious! My old go to was the green iguana from the tequila bar, but after realizing I was having sudden but mild asthma attacks after drinking them, I discovered I'm allergic to midori. So I know it has tequila and midori in it, but not sure what else. 

My favorite kick off is the Frog's Island Iced Tea. So good. So strong. So good!

I can drink with the best of them. My stomach does like the sugar & juice for long so I try to stay away from the fridge fru drinks. But I can't turn down a FIIT... or a Punchliner. My kryptonite.

• Like 1

Might not be a good "kickoff drink", but if you've never stopped into Alchemy Bar, do yourself a favor. The drinks are special, even the drink menu is electronic. I had a "deal closer" last cruise + it was INCREDIBLE! Here's a menu with the ingredients https://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/explore/onboard/bars/menus/alchemy-bar-menu.pdf

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CRocks said:

Might not be a good "kickoff drink", but if you've never stopped into Alchemy Bar, do yourself a favor. The drinks are special, even the drink menu is electronic. I had a "deal closer" last cruise + it was INCREDIBLE! Here's a menu with the ingredients https://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/explore/onboard/bars/menus/alchemy-bar-menu.pdf

The only problem is the Alchemy Bar is never open until after the safety briefing is completed on embarkation day. 

On 2/2/2019 at 3:52 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

That martini sounds amazing

• Like 2

Always start with a pina colada with that lil fun umbrella & pineapple to kick off the cruise then move on to the Youthful & Bold Beritini at the Alchemy bar.  Soooo good & smooth.  From the Alchemy Bar menu, “Grey Goose cherry noir vodka, St. Germain Elderflower liqueur, strawberries, fresh lime juice & a splash of soda complete this martini to enliven the throes of youth.”   From personal experience, a few of these made this 50 year old feel like she was in her twenties again lol.  

Really can’t go wrong with any drink at the Alchemy. 

Cheers 🍸🍹

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RTR 21-0 said:

Always start with a pina colada with that lil fun umbrella & pineapple to kick off the cruise then move on to the Youthful & Bold Beritini at the Alchemy bar.

Yum - now I have to add this one to my list.

16 hours ago, pamici said:

What about the Bloody Mary bar at brunch - any suggested combination?

I'm a bit plain with it the few times I actually have a Bloody Mary, I only add a squeeze of lemon, couple dashes of Tabasco with a shake of salt & pepper, garnish with olives and celery. I'm not a big fan of adding Worcestershire or horseradish, as it makes me feel like I'm drinking cocktail sauce :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1