High water and tulip time?

hbr777

I can't say definitively, but my impression is that most of the sailing is done on canals and waterways which the Dutch control effectively. I figure that if they can keep Amsterdam from flooding--it's 6 feet below sea level--then they can keep things under control.

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Indeed.  And one of the more interesting excursion options is to the Delta Works flood control works [so I hear – I look forward to visiting it when we get around to a Tulip Time cruise!]

Found the Delta Works very interesting...  Very glad we went.

Fran

43 minutes ago, luv2travel90266 said:

We will be on the Uniworld River Queen April 7th. Picked the date for maximizing the tulip bloom. Hoping I called it right and for a great trip. 

It so much depends on the weather. I sailed mid-April and ended up in Keukenhof on April 29th I think. Spring had been late and EVERYTHING was in bloom. However, tulip fields themselves had mostly been cut already. I think that you'll be fine.

We were at Keukenhof with Uniworld in April, 2017. They offered two options for Keukenhof: a half-day or a full-day visit. We did the full day and were happy we did. Keukenhof is huge and by spending the full day (about 5 hours) we were able to take our time and see everything. Don't be dismayed by the huge crowds when you arrive. Once you're in, people spread out and there were many areas with very few people. You'll have a wonderful time.

On 2/5/2019 at 4:29 PM, luv2travel90266 said:

We will be on the Uniworld River Queen April 7th. Picked the date for maximizing the tulip bloom. Hoping I called it right and for a great trip. 

As others have said, it all depends on the weather.  Based on average blooming times for tulips you may be a week or two early, but don't fret about it. In 2016 I visited in the second week of April and there were certainly some tulips in bloom, but they hadn't really reached their height. On the other hand, the daffodils and hyacinths were blooming in profusion.  We didn't regret taking a full day visit as the gardens are vast.

This is a very useful website which gives a bit of a history of the blooms over the last 6 or 7 years, and you may well find when you visit that the tulips will be fully in bloom.  You can sign up for weekly updates which I did before visiting.

https://tulipsinholland.com/faq-tulips-and-keukenhof/best-time-to-visit-keukenhof/

Enjoy your cruise and your visit to the Keukenhof.