With no dining package, can you share items in the specialty restaurants?

happy cruzer

33 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Hi,  At restaurants on land we often order one appetizer and one entree and share them.  That is usually plenty of food for us, not big eaters. Can you do that at the specialty restaurants that are a la carte? Thanks.

No problem with that. Enjoy. 

If if you both have a package sharing is fine too. 

As long as you are paying and the restaurant is a la carte, share to your hearts content. If it is a fixed price menu, they are probably going to frown on sharing, though you can certainly ask when you get on the ship.

On 2/4/2019 at 7:41 PM, tomservo said:

If I use an SDP credit and my companion gets an app only ala carte, can we both get sides? At something like Ocean Blue? I’ve read on here about someone going to OB, buying an app and getting sides with it. 

I too would like a specific answer to this one.  Say I order the King Crab leg appetizer and DH orders the crab finger appetizer do we get to pick some side as well?  Any limit?  I am sure one appetizer and two sides would make a fanastic meal.

Generally speaking, if you have the SDP which offers a dinner for two, you both can order 2 sides/ea and one entre/ea and a desert.  I've read where there's some leeway depending on the maitre'd.  

Might want to quiz your wait staff about this before you order your meals.

Edited by graphicguy

8 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Generally speaking, if you have the SDP which offers a dinner for two, you both can order 2 sides/ea and one entre/ea and a desert.  I've read where there's some leeway depending on the maitre'd.  

Might want to quiz your wait staff about this before you order your meals.

SDP T&Cs indicate you can only order ONE entree with the package (additional entrees have a charge) ....... since there is no mention of any limits on apps or desserts then you are free to order multiple of those.  Also the SDP is per person and not "dinner for two"...... you're confusing the SDP with the Platinum Latitude Dinner

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

I too would like a specific answer to this one.  Say I order the King Crab leg appetizer and DH orders the crab finger appetizer do we get to pick some side as well?  Any limit?  I am sure one appetizer and two sides would make a fanastic meal.

So my question is about ordering a la carte, no SDP.  Any experiences with just ordering appetizers and sides?  Thanks.

Edited by happy cruzer

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone

On 2/8/2019 at 2:29 PM, happy cruzer said:

So my question is about ordering a la carte, no SDP.  Any experiences with just ordering appetizers and sides?  Thanks.

anyone know the answer?  I know I can ask onboard but sometimes it helps to know if it has been done in the past.  Thanks.

54 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Anyone

anyone know the answer?  I know I can ask onboard but sometimes it helps to know if it has been done in the past.  Thanks.

I think for restaurants where the sides have a price (Cagneys, Q, Los Lobos, etc) it wouldn't be a problem, you order the sides and app you want and pay for them ala carte. In most of the other specialty restaurants, the sides aren't in a separate list but are paired with the entrees (Le Bistro, La Cucina etc). The only grey area is Ocean Blue, where the sides are separate and no prices is listed. Maybe if you order an entree ala carte you can get sides with it?

• 3 weeks later...

So we did order a la carte at Ocean Blue.  We had the calamari, the crab claws, and the 16 oz. Delmonico Steak.  When we ordered we said that we were sharing which was no problem, the waiter asked what two sides we wanted, we ordered the cous cous and the watercress/endive salad, no dessert.  The service was very polished and the food excellent.  Cost was a little over $40 total (great value for two happy cruisers who left full).  So for us the a la carte works very well.

• Like 1

On February 23rd we were a party of 3 and ordered an appetizer, entree and an extra side. We were paying a la carte at Los Lobos and it wasn't an issue.

Nephew had made an extra stop at the buffet for pizza so he wasn't too hungry and just had the side. My mother and I shared the rest, it was plenty.

Someone mentioned that on the SDP you can only order one entree, that is true at two places, at La Cucina I could order more:

Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants. Additional main courses will be charged at the a la carte price listed on the menu.

We will use the SDP for the first time in September. I plan to try more than one entree at La Cucina and only one at Le bistro.

2 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

So we did order a la carte at Ocean Blue.  We had the calamari, the crab claws, and the 16 oz. Delmonico Steak.  When we ordered we said that we were sharing which was no problem, the waiter asked what two sides we wanted, we ordered the cous cous and the watercress/endive salad, no dessert.  The service was very polished and the food excellent.  Cost was a little over $40 total (great value for two happy cruisers who left full).  So for us the a la carte works very well.

Thanks for letting us know! Really helps close the loop on this.

10 minutes ago, Nola26 said:

On February 23rd we were a party of 3 and ordered an appetizer, entree and an extra side. We were paying a la carte at Los Lobos and it wasn't an issue.

Nephew had made an extra stop at the buffet for pizza so he wasn't too hungry and just had the side. My mother and I shared the rest, it was plenty.

Someone mentioned that on the SDP you can only order one entree, that is true at two places, at La Cucina I could order more:

Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants. Additional main courses will be charged at the a la carte price listed on the menu.

We will use the SDP for the first time in September. I plan to try more than one entree at La Cucina and only one at Le bistro.

My understanding was that they may charge you for additional entrees at any of the specialty restaurants. Where did you see those T&C? Maybe they're outdated? Here's what I see for the current T&C:

Specialty Dining Packages (SDP) are available online for pre-sale or onboard during the first two days of the voyage. SDP is not available on 1 and 2-day sailings; On 3-day sailings SDP is for sale on day 1 only. No refunds available if not all meals are used. SDPs are personal and non-transferable. SDP does not include any beverages and additional main courses will incur charges. A 20% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. No SDP kids pricing available. We encourage guests to visit ncl.com/myncl to make dining reservations in advance. Reservations are not required for SDP guests, however, once onboard, reservations will be subject to availability. SDP meals can be enjoyed at the Steakhouse, French, Italian, Churrascaria, Teppanyaki, Mexican, BBQ and Margaritaville at Sea restaurants. Dining options vary by ship.

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

1 hour ago, Nola26 said:

One the Breakaway in December, they were telling folks only one entree.

1 hour ago, tomservo said:

My understanding was that they may charge you for additional entrees at any of the specialty restaurants. Where did you see those T&C? Maybe they're outdated? Here's what I see for the current T&C:

Specialty Dining Packages (SDP) are available online for pre-sale or onboard during the first two days of the voyage. SDP is not available on 1 and 2-day sailings; On 3-day sailings SDP is for sale on day 1 only. No refunds available if not all meals are used. SDPs are personal and non-transferable. SDP does not include any beverages and additional main courses will incur charges. A 20% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. No SDP kids pricing available. We encourage guests to visit ncl.com/myncl to make dining reservations in advance. Reservations are not required for SDP guests, however, once onboard, reservations will be subject to availability. SDP meals can be enjoyed at the Steakhouse, French, Italian, Churrascaria, Teppanyaki, Mexican, BBQ and Margaritaville at Sea restaurants. Dining options vary by ship.

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

The T&C's I referenced above are from the Free at Sea T&C's page, so current.

From the Specialty Dining T&Cs FAQ page:

ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

All menu items on the Specialty Restaurants are included. Additional entrée charges may apply.

Exceptions in the optional Upcharge restaurants are: Seafood Extravaganza in Ocean Blue and the Seafood Platter in Raw Bar. However, if you order these items, the upcharge fee will be waived.

14 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

Everywhere......   see post #17

Well my package is from the Free at Sea promo. Those T&Cs say Cagney's and Le Bistro are limited to one entree covered by the plan. If I want two entrees at La Cucina I plan to order them and not pay extra, we'll see how it goes.

Getting enough to eat on a cruise ship is the least of my worries. :classic_rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Nola26 said:

Well my package is from the Free at Sea promo. Those T&Cs say Cagney's and Le Bistro are limited to one entree covered by the plan. If I want two entrees at La Cucina I plan to order them and not pay extra, we'll see how it goes.

Getting enough to eat on a cruise ship is the least of my worries. :classic_rolleyes:

I see where you are getting that info and would definitely print out the T&Cs located here:

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions#takeall