Celebrity, San Juan: should we check-in early or later? Summit (Elite)

Newbie2006

Hello,

My fiance and I will be going on our honeymoon on a Celebrity Cruise in March, and it will be leaving out of San Juan (departing 8:30pm). The check-in time is 12:30-7:00pm.

We will be flying into Puerto Rico the day/morning before so we can rest after our wedding, and see some of Old San Juan (also have another hotel stay after returning to San Juan before flying home).

I am just wondering if it'd be more enjoyable to stay and see Old San Juan and check in later to the cruise, or arrive early and enjoy the ship (only 1 sea day on the short cruise). Is much open on the ship before it departs?

I have elite captain's club status, so I believe both of us can check in early (but usually, I travel with my family, and am not involved in making all the arrangements/decisions, so I am kind of a newbie even though I've got elite status).

We are both foodies . . . any good places to eat in Old San Juan?

Newbie2006

Have you cruised on Royal Caribbean before? On our first cruise out of San Juan, we arrived the day before (but relatively late in the day as I recall) and stayed over in Old San Juan. (Villa Herencia - just lovely.) We were right there and able to tour Old San Juan in the morning before heading to the ship around 1:00 or 1:30. We were on board around 2:00-2:30, by which time the cabins were available. 

We enjoyed Barachina (spelling?). It's well known for storing your luggage (for free - although tip is expected) while you tour the city. The food was excellent, the atmosphere lovely and the pina coladas amazing!

If you've never sailed on Royal before, you might want some time to acclimate yourself to the ship, in which case I wouldn't board too late. Cabins are generally available around 1:00-1:30, so you can dump your carry-on luggage. That was our thought in heading over there around that time. Traffic from Old San Juan can sometimes be a bear, so allow yourself plenty of time.

Just off Summit last month in January 2019.  Our departure was also 8:30pm and we arrived the day before.  We stayed in Condado (which is on the Beach) & a short cab ride from Old San Juan.  Stayed at the Vanderbilt, which I believe is now just about the nicest hotel in San Juan and certainly worthy of a honeymoon stay...hint hint.

On departure day we checked out of our hotel and spent most of the day at the hotel beach.  Very nice day and boarded the ship about 4:15pm.  

Odd Fact:  The mandatory ship emergency drill was at 4:45pm.   We had no idea it was then and just made it.  Drill used to be later (like 7:15 - we have been on Summit before), but not for this sailing!  Lots of people missing from the drill....and we had port stops for the next 10 days straight.  Not sure how "the make-up" was handled.   Will X keep it that early....who knows.  I thought it was very inconvenient.

Ship does function pretty normally on embark day - they want to make a good first impression!

10 hours ago, Newbie2006 said:

Hello,

My fiance and I will be going on our honeymoon on a Celebrity Cruise in March, and it will be leaving out of San Juan (departing 8:30pm). The check-in time is 12:30-7:00pm.

We will be flying into Puerto Rico the day/morning before so we can rest after our wedding, and see some of Old San Juan (also have another hotel stay after returning to San Juan before flying home).

I am just wondering if it'd be more enjoyable to stay and see Old San Juan and check in later to the cruise, or arrive early and enjoy the ship (only 1 sea day on the short cruise). Is much open on the ship before it departs?

I have elite captain's club status, so I believe both of us can check in early (but usually, I travel with my family, and am not involved in making all the arrangements/decisions, so I am kind of a newbie even though I've got elite status).

We are both foodies . . . any good places to eat in Old San Juan?

Newbie2006

We enjoy checking in early- as you know on the last day of the cruise- typically you are off the ship after an early breakfast- so best to maximize the first day on board IMO.  We like to have an early lunch-before the food is picked over- walk around the ship, make sure all of our specialty restaurant reservations are correct.  I also go to the spa, to be sure any appointments I made on line are correct and add anything else I might want.  We then relax and settle in!  We have been to San Juan multiple times so the sights no longer interest us.  Also, why run around before your cruise?  You will have many interesting ports to enjoy.  And since you disembark very early, perhaps before you fly out you might do a little exploring in PR.

Enjoy your cruise- and congrats on your wedding.

Edited by Cruise a holic

47 minutes ago, printingchick said:

If you've never sailed on Royal before, you might want some time to acclimate yourself to the ship, in which case I wouldn't board too late. Cabins are generally available around 1:00-1:30, so you can dump your carry-on luggage. That was our thought in heading over there around that time. Traffic from Old San Juan can sometimes be a bear, so allow yourself plenty of time.

They are sailing on Celebrity Summit, not Royal Caribbean.

Summit docks at the Pan Am pier.

Edited by CruisinCrow

Oops! Thanks for the correction CruisinCrow! My experience was on  RCL Jewel and I clearly was projecting. Same advice, different cruise line!! 😉

My next cruise will be on Celebrity Summit, post Revolution. Both depart from Pan Am Pier, not Old San Juan.

Edited by printingchick
  • Like 1

I'm going on the Summit out of San Juan in April and will be my 5th time. Always fly in a day or two before so I've already done OSJ. I usually arrive just before 11 am and get right on the ship within 5 minutes. Check-in times really mean nothing especially out of San Juan since there is such a long time as to when people can check-in. Since I've already experienced OSJ I get on as early as I can and enjoy the amenities of the ship since it's already paid for.

If you decide to do OSJ after you land I would see about storing your luggage at Barrichina (free in OSJ) and explore and then take a taxi/uber to the port. I wouldn't go to the port & check bags and then go to OSJ and then back to board, just wasted money on taxi/uber especially when there are place to store your luggage for free (plus tip).

It's been several years for us, but when we had a late sailing out of San Juan  on a TA we checked in early and then got off and went back into Old San Juan. They really weren't set up for getting off as they were processing so many of the passengers getting on. It was a hassle, but we did it. Down side the machine didn't register our pass as going off the ship and it was another hassle getting back on. Just check your luggage on but don't board until later.

If you are looking for fine dining, try Marmalade.  It is in Old San Juan and a little on the pricey side, but in my opinion well worth every penny.  

It was pretty much destroyed in the Hurricane but the owners and the employees took it on themselves to rebuild and get back in business.  We were there last April, but we eat there everytime we are in San Juan.  This November will be our 5th or 6th time.

The chef/ owner is Peter Schintler.  He is from Iowa and he and his wife run the place.

Make reservations in advance unless you like to eat at 5:30

You can check out of your hotel around noon, drop off your luggage at the pier and check in at the ship right after. Then go enjoy Old San Juan for the remainder of the afternoon. Just be sure to ask about the time for muster when you check in. Have a great time! 

• Like 1