CAPE LIBERTY (and NYC) 411-VERSION 5!!!

megr1125

On 1/20/2020 at 8:38 PM, russnleanne said:

The main thing we want to do on Sept 6th is going to the Statue of Liberty. It would be wonderful to be able to easily get something to eat also. thank you in advance for any help! you are all so very knowledgeable!!

You can visit Ellis & Liberty Island via ferry from Liberty State Park in Jersey City. For your September stay look at hotels such as Residence Inn and Candlewood Suites both in Jersey City. Each are close to PATH train stations allowing for quick transit to NYC if you desire. Best to use taxi/Uber to LSP rather than the light rail.

For you August stay, downtown Newark or airport area is okay for one night, especially depending on the time your flight arrives. Some airport hotels are isolated, check for restaurants close by or for food delivery to the hotel.

The authorized ticket seller for Statue of Liberty is Statue Cruises be it from NJ or NY. You can take the ferry from Jersey City to both islands and return to Jersey City or take the ferry to NYC, if you want to explore Manhattan. You would then take PATH train back to Jersey City or Liberty Landing Ferry which is in the same general area as Statue Cruises in Jersey City. The PATH station at the World Trade Center is closed  on weekends for maintenance.

8 hours ago, russnleanne said:

Yes $220 per room per night. The room with 2 people it doesn't matter. the one with 3 would be great if they could have a king and sofa bed or 2 queens with a sofa bed. sorry I should have said that. both rooms would have seniors.

The problem in the Newark Airport and Jersey City area is that there are limited hotels that offer a king and a sofa bed and almost no hotels that offer 2 Queens.  Your choices are limited.

For Aug 26 look at the Fairfield Inn, Springhill Suites and Home 2 Suites at Newark Airport.  These hotels are within your $220 budget, offer free breakfast, have senior rates, are actually within the same isolated enclave on the north side of the Airport, and are among the closest hotels to Cape Liberty at the airport. The only dining service would be at the Courtyard Marriott, which is also in this enclave.

For your Sep 5-7 dates, book the Residence Inn in Jersey City NOW!  This is the only hotel that fits within your budget in this area.  I stayed there last year pre cruise and highly recommend.  Free breakfast.  Located right at the Grove St PATH station.  Even though there is normally weekend track work on PATH, that work is suspended on holiday weekends like Labor Day.  From Grove St you can take PATH to World Trade for the SOL and PATH to 33rd& 6th in Manhattan  for $2.75/pp. https://www.panynj.gov/path/en/schedules-maps.html. These hotel rooms have a good kitchen area.  There are many restaurants and bars located nearby and one of the streets is pedestrian traffic only.  This is also one of the closest hotels to Cape Liberty.

Buy your tickets in advance for the SOL.

Edited by 138east

Hi

I've read back a few pages.

I'm booked on Anthem Ta in April. I had the Robert Treat booked but have changed it to the Double Tree Penn.

I have booked a flight arriving at Jfk and plan to take the Air Train to Jamaica then the LIRR to Penn Station.

Just a quick one, what is the best way to get from Penn Station to Newark Penn. I don't see it on any Path maps

Thanks 

What date are you doing this?  Have you booked a hotel?  If so, which hotel?  If not, number of rooms needed for 7 people, hotel budget, and desired location either in NYC or NJ?  Could you manage your luggage on public transit?

The recommended high level strategy from LGA to NJ is to book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo.  This trip crosses state lines, so NYC cab is not recommended at all.

1 hour ago, Reigert said:

Did you ever get an answer to this?  We are flying into LGA later this year and are having issues finding transportation options from LGA to anything near the NJ cruise port.  Thanks!

Further Details:

Day before Cruise: land at 5:00 PM

Party : 6 adults, 1 pre-teen

may do dinner in NYC (suggestions accepted!)

It's terrible that we don't have much time in NYC to really see anything, but this is hand we were dealt.  

Dinner in the city might be tough with luggage, except maybe at a hotel? ETA if it’s a weekday that rush hour.

Edited by mjkacmom

12 hours ago, Reigert said:

Did you ever get an answer to this?  We are flying into LGA later this year and are having issues finding transportation options from LGA to anything near the NJ cruise port.  Thanks!

Further Details:

Day before Cruise: land at 5:00 PM

Party : 6 adults, 1 pre-teen

may do dinner in NYC (suggestions accepted!)

It's terrible that we don't have much time in NYC to really see anything, but this is hand we were dealt.  

We ended up using Uber black from

LGA to NJ.  Super easy.  Then took Uber to cruise port and from port to Manhattan.  Scheduled Uber back to LGA.   It was extremely easy and felt very safe.  

Hello!

I'm needing some advice on a budget friendly place to stay and how to see the 9/11 memorial.  We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 2 teens, 1 child) driving down to New Jersey from the Toronto area to pick up a New England cruise that departs on a Monday in July.  We only planned to stay one night before embarkation. 

We were planning to stay in New Jersey somewhere along the PATH to catch it into the World Trade Center for the 9/11 memorial.  But of course, we're arriving on a Sunday and there's that closure/ interruption.  I didn't think it was budget friendly for the 5 of us to still take the PATH ($25 for 10 rides) and then the subway ($27.50 for 5 people X 2 rides) to the World Trade Center.  Plus how long will that take now - PATH + ferry + subway?!

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just drive ourselves there even with the bridge toll ($16) and parking($25 maybe?? for 3-4 hrs)?  Or is it a really bad idea to drive in, even on a Sunday?  And I'm thinking if we drive in and don't stay along the PATH we could find a more budget friendly ($150) hotel to stay in further out (1 hour drive max).

1 minute ago, mommalee said:

Hello!

I'm needing some advice on a budget friendly place to stay and how to see the 9/11 memorial.  We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 2 teens, 1 child) driving down to New Jersey from the Toronto area to pick up a New England cruise that departs on a Monday in July.  We only planned to stay one night before embarkation. 

We were planning to stay in New Jersey somewhere along the PATH to catch it into the World Trade Center for the 9/11 memorial.  But of course, we're arriving on a Sunday and there's that closure/ interruption.  I didn't think it was budget friendly for the 5 of us to still take the PATH ($25 for 10 rides) and then the subway ($27.50 for 5 people X 2 rides) to the World Trade Center.  Plus how long will that take now - PATH + ferry + subway?!

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just drive ourselves there even with the bridge toll ($16) and parking($25 maybe?? for 3-4 hrs)?  Or is it a really bad idea to drive in, even on a Sunday?  And I'm thinking if we drive in and don't stay along the PATH we could find a more budget friendly ($150) hotel to stay in further out (1 hour drive max).

Sorry I should add, the next day we'll drive right to the cruise port, so hotel location and parking situation is not a problem.

3 hours ago, mommalee said:

Sorry I should add, the next day we'll drive right to the cruise port, so hotel location and parking situation is not a problem.

You plan to drive from Toronto to New Jersey and visit the 9/11 memorial, all in the same day? Might be pushing yourself too much. Assuming this is for Sunday July 26.

The PATH station at WTC is closed on weekends but there is a ferry from Exchange Place in Jersey City to Brookfield/WFC in NYC and then a short walk to WTC. The other PATH line into Manhattan is open on weekends.

Finding a hotel within your budget is challenging.  Check the price at Doubletree in Jersey City, they will charge for parking. This would be the most convenient location for your visit to NYC.

Springhill Suites at Newark Airport fits your budget. May be a little challenging to find as New Jersey's road signs are not as good as other states. There is a Home2Suites in Hasbrouck Heights(near the sports complex) also within your budget.

Much further from NYC but still within an hour of Cape Liberty are Embassy Suites & Sonesta Suites in Parsippany but above $150.

Edited by meadowlander

22 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

You plan to drive from Toronto to New Jersey and visit the 9/11 memorial, all in the same day? Might be pushing yourself too much. Assuming this is for Sunday July 26.

Thanks for the reply!  For our road trips, we leave early - 4 or 5 am and I drive for 3-4 hours while everyone else sleeps.  The remainder of the way, I'm napping and when I'm awake, we're good to go to explore 😊.  The next day is restful anyways - sleep in, board the ship.

Thanks for the suggested hotels too, I will definitely look into them.  So I'm hearing take the ferry, avoid driving in.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mommalee said:

Thanks for the reply!  For our road trips, we leave early - 4 or 5 am and I drive for 3-4 hours while everyone else sleeps.  The remainder of the way, I'm napping and when I'm awake, we're good to go to explore 😊.  The next day is restful anyways - sleep in, board the ship.

Thanks for the suggested hotels too, I will definitely look into them.  So I'm hearing take the ferry, avoid driving in.

If you're planning on visiting the Museum, make sure you book your ticket in advance.  

We live 10 miles west of Manhattan, when we visited the 9/11 memorial/museum on a Sunday, we just drove in and parked using a parking app, $30 for parking (plus toll). There were 7 of us, so cheaper than the ferry. I don’t mind driving in the city.

16 hours ago, mommalee said:

The ferry is $6 per adult but due to the PATH weekend closure, you can get ferry tickets at the same cost ($2.75) as the train, inside the PATH Exchange Place station. The info is under the "NJ to NY weekend travel" link.

https://www.panynj.gov/path/en/planned-service-changes/WTC-weekend-closures.html

If your hotel is in Jersey City, you have parking for your vehicle. If not, unless you find street parking, you will add the cost of parking to the ferry costs. I don't see any parades in NYC for end of July which might impact your drive.

21 minutes ago, cantgetaname said:

Staying at Country Inn & Suits in Elizabeth.   On the map it doesn't seem too far, but that doesn't mean anything.   Is getting an Uber from the hotel to the nearest Walmart possible without spending a fortune?  I think there's a supercenter in Linden.

I think the closest one is in secaucus, probably about $30 without tip each way (more in rush hour).

Phew! Just read all 18 pages of this thread looking for an answer to my question.  Did not see it.  A friend and I are sailing Oasis of the Seas out of Bayonne June 7th.  Last time I sailed out of Cape Liberty I flew in.  My friend doesn't fly so we're driving down from Ontario.  The ship sails on Sunday so we're going to drive down on Saturday the 6th.  Last time I stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth.  I was thinking of staying there or nearby.  My main concern is this: I drive a high end vehicle.  How safe will it be in the hotel parking lot? (I'm worried because one of the first posts in this thread is about a jeep sitting on cinder blocks.) I plan on parking at the pier for safety and convenience.

Any other suggestions for hotels? We're hoping to keep it around $200 mark and won't need parking or a shuttle to the pier.  Breakfast included would be nice. I've seen Parsippany (sp?) mentioned many times and wonder if that would be a safer option.  How far is to the pier from there?  Having driven 8 hours (or more) the day before, I don't really want a lot of driving in the morning.  We plan to arrive at the pier at the suggested time frame of 10:00 - 10:30am.  Given that it is a Sunday, is that feasible?

Thanks in advance for your help.

8 hours ago, essgee_ca said:

Phew! Just read all 18 pages of this thread looking for an answer to my question.  Did not see it.  A friend and I are sailing Oasis of the Seas out of Bayonne June 7th.  Last time I sailed out of Cape Liberty I flew in.  My friend doesn't fly so we're driving down from Ontario.  The ship sails on Sunday so we're going to drive down on Saturday the 6th.  

Can't help with Country Inn advice.

Driving on Sunday to Cape Liberty, there should be no traffic. Parsippany and Morristown area hotels will be 45-60 minutes at most drive. You could stay in Wayne and Fairfield to be closer. Hotels in Lyndhurst, East Rutherford and Secaucus areas are very near the turnpike and 30 minutes/less to the port. Many dining choices in all of these locations. 

On 1/29/2020 at 2:41 PM, meadowlander said:

The ferry is $6 per adult but due to the PATH weekend closure, you can get ferry tickets at the same cost ($2.75) as the train, inside the PATH Exchange Place station. The info is under the "NJ to NY weekend travel" link.

https://www.panynj.gov/path/en/planned-service-changes/WTC-weekend-closures.html

If your hotel is in Jersey City, you have parking for your vehicle. If not, unless you find street parking, you will add the cost of parking to the ferry costs. I don't see any parades in NYC for end of July which might impact your drive.

I read about the PATH in more detail and it looks like because of the closure, they will give you a round trip transfer for the ferry service!  Yay!  So we can pick up the PATH at Newark, and end up at WTC for $2.75 per person still. 

And I didn't realize it was just a 8-10 minute walk to the 9/11 memorial from Brookfield, for some reason  I thought we had to take a subway after taking the ferry.

Lastly, it looks like we'll be staying at the Springhill suites.

Thanks mjkacmom for your input on driving in, but partner's not convinced its a good option.

Thanks ericosmith for the reminder to book tickets in advance for the museum.

Thanks for everyone's help!