CAPE LIBERTY (and NYC) 411-VERSION 5!!!

megr1125

On 3/14/2022 at 8:20 AM, ICANTWAITTOCRUISE said:

Any recommendations for a hotel to stay in for two nights near cape Liberty? Arriving on a Celebrity transatlantic and then board two days later the same ship-southern Caribbean. Will have lots of luggage and if things stand we’ll have to find another Covid test😡
Thanks!  We will probably venture out a bit but feel our best bet would be to stay closest to Cape Liberty. 

For two nights why not consider a hotel in Manhattan - which is not that far from Cape Liberty, and offers more interesting ways to spend the time?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, j1d1 said:

My family of 5 are going on Oasis leaving 5/29.  This is our first trip to the area.  We will be spending 2.5 days or so before the cruise leaves.  We are booked in the Hyatt House Jersey City.

Current plans are the following:

Arrive LGA on Thursday, 5/26 mid-afternoon.  Plan on booking car service for trip to Hyatt House.  Seems like Dial7 or Carmel get the most mentions and seem to have similar price points.

Friday: Take ferry from Paulus Hook to Midtown.  Take complimentary bus to location for a bus tour of NYC.  Any suggestions for bus tours would be appreciated.  Currently plan on booking the top ranked on other travel site for $99/person.  Tour is 6 hours.  Take bus back to ferry for trip from Midtown back to Paulus Hook.

Saturday: Plan to check out Ellis Island and SoL.  Likely use local rail +/- ferry for this.

Sunday: UberXL or car service from Hyatt House to Port.  Is it worth booking a car service for this or are rideshare services readily available?  Looks like car service base fare would be about $85.

Following Sunday: Cruise returns.  Plan to again book car service for trip from port to LGA.  Our flight isn't until 4pm, so we have plenty of time.

Any thoughts or feedback from those more experienced would be greatly appreciated.  The only things set in stone are the cruise, the flights, and the hotel (not entirely set in stone but seems like the best option and booked at reasonable price).

Thanks

My main thought is that Manhattan should be toured on foot, not on a bus. I would consider a HOHO bus as the only reasonable exception to that. What does your planned bus tour cover? How much time do you spend with your feet on the ground as opposed to sitting on the bus?

I also agree with @navybankerteacher's suggestion to stay in Manhattan.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, j1d1 said:

My family of 5 are going on Oasis leaving 5/29.  This is our first trip to the area.  We will be spending 2.5 days or so before the cruise leaves.  We are booked in the Hyatt House Jersey City.

Current plans are the following:

Arrive LGA on Thursday, 5/26 mid-afternoon.  Plan on booking car service for trip to Hyatt House.  Seems like Dial7 or Carmel get the most mentions and seem to have similar price points.

Friday: Take ferry from Paulus Hook to Midtown.  Take complimentary bus to location for a bus tour of NYC.  Any suggestions for bus tours would be appreciated.  Currently plan on booking the top ranked on other travel site for $99/person.  Tour is 6 hours.  Take bus back to ferry for trip from Midtown back to Paulus Hook.

Saturday: Plan to check out Ellis Island and SoL.  Likely use local rail +/- ferry for this.

Sunday: UberXL or car service from Hyatt House to Port.  Is it worth booking a car service for this or are rideshare services readily available?  Looks like car service base fare would be about $85.

Following Sunday: Cruise returns.  Plan to again book car service for trip from port to LGA.  Our flight isn't until 4pm, so we have plenty of time.

Any thoughts or feedback from those more experienced would be greatly appreciated.  The only things set in stone are the cruise, the flights, and the hotel (not entirely set in stone but seems like the best option and booked at reasonable price).

Thanks

Have you booked your tickets from Statue cruises yet? I recommend getting pedestal tickets if it’s not too late. Make sure to have ID.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

For two nights why not consider a hotel in Manhattan - which is not that far from Cape Liberty, and offers more interesting ways to spend the time?

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

My main thought is that Manhattan should be toured on foot, not on a bus. I would consider a HOHO bus as the only reasonable exception to that. What does your planned bus tour cover? How much time do you spend with your feet on the ground as opposed to sitting on the bus?

I also agree with @navybankerteacher's suggestion to stay in Manhattan.

Thanks for the replies.  I did consider a hotel in Manhattan.  For a family of 5, finding the right hotel at a reasonable price can be a challenge.  Also I generally found planning for NYC to be quite overwhelming compared to the other trips I've planned.  I spent a good amount of time researching.  Ultimately the Hyatt House seemed to offer the right mix of factors for us with reasonable accomodations, "reasonable" price, and easy access to transportation.  I will do another search to see if anything new presents itself, but prices seem to have gone up since my original searches several months ago.

One of our children has some special needs that make all day walking tours a potentially difficult proposition.  For our first trip with really only two days of touring, my thinking was to try and see a little bit of everything.  Then we can decide on where to focus for potential future trips.  As I said, I found this planning experience to be overwhelming.  I'd like to get my feet wet just a little and have jumping off points for future trips.

The tour description is as follows:

Make your way to Midtown Manhattan, to meet your guide and group. Board a mini-bus for a ride through Times Square, passing Radio City Music Hall, NBC Studios, Rockefeller Center, and St. Patrick's Cathedral while your guide narrates their history. Stop for a short guided walkthrough. Next, head to Fifth Avenue and Madison Square Park, with time for photos of the Flatiron Building and Empire State Building. From there, it’s Trinity Church and the 9/11 Memorial. You also see some of the oldest architecture in Manhattan in South Street Seaport. Hop on the Staten Island Ferry. On board, hear commentary and take in views of the Manhattan skyline, Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, Governor’s Island, and Brooklyn Bridge. During off-season (January 1 to April 1), take a guided tour around Grand Central Terminal instead. End at the tour’s starting point in midtown. [End description]

I appreciate any replies and will re-evaluate.  Thanks

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Have you booked your tickets from Statue cruises yet? I recommend getting pedestal tickets if it’s not too late. Make sure to have ID.

Thanks.  I will look into this.

• 2 weeks later...

We have cruised on RCL and Celebrity in the past 5 months out of Port Canaveral and Ft. Lauderdale.  In both cases, it was important that we adhere to the arrival times assigned to us.  Separate queues were set up outside the cruise terminal according to arrival time.  If the line for the "current" time was empty and there was room inside the terminal, they would let the next time slot go in.

I was wondering if we should expect the same at the Cape Liberty terminal?  Pre-Covid, you could arrive somewhat early in the hope that your loyalty status (or an empty terminal) allows you to board earlier.    

Hi,

Traveling by car from MA the same day as the cruise. The garage next to the cruise port mentions that you can purchase a ticket to get to the cruise port. Is the garage in walking distance or do you really need to get on a shuttle to get to the cruise port.

Thanks

ML

22 hours ago, SandG said:

In both cases, it was important that we adhere to the arrival times assigned to us.  Separate queues were set up outside the cruise terminal according to arrival time.  If the line for the "current" time was empty and there was room inside the terminal, they would let the next time slot go in.

I was wondering if we should expect the same at the Cape Liberty terminal?  Pre-Covid, you could arrive somewhat early in the hope that your loyalty status (or an empty terminal) allows you to board earlier.    

I would advise you to adhere to your assigned time. 

I sailed out of Bayonne last October. I arrived at 11:20, my entry time was 12-12:30.

The entry line was lone and there were more people, than those on line, who were sitting outside waiting for their assigned time.

I inquired at the front of the line as to who could line up to enter. I was told those whose assigned time began at 11, 11:30 and noon could wait in line. Those waiting on line who were not in any of those 3 groups were turned away when the reached the entry point. I was on the ship at 11:50.

I sailed again in December. My entry time was 11. Entry process started at 10:45, there were so few people waiting outside that 1 employee announced, just a few minutes after the process started, everyone could enter. The employee at the entry level, in order to maintain organization, announced entry would be by time. He allowed the 11 am cruisers in first then 11:30 then noon and so on. Everyone waiting outside at 10:45 am (since there were so few) did enter by 11:10. At no time during the day did I see a backup of vehicles approaching the terminal. Apparently most everyone adhered to their assigned time and it was more orderly than in October.

17 hours ago, Mary Louise said:

Hi,

Traveling by car from MA the same day as the cruise. The garage next to the cruise port mentions that you can purchase a ticket to get to the cruise port. Is the garage in walking distance or do you really need to get on a shuttle to get to the cruise port.

Thanks

ML

Simple process at CL.  Drive up to the terminal, drop baggage and passengers, drive 100 yards to the parking deck (if it's not full), get ticket, park, walk 100 yards back to terminal.  Be sure to bring your ticket with you.  You'll pay (at machine) after your cruise. (currently $25/day).  If the deck is full, there is ample outdoor parking, also very close.

21 hours ago, Mary Louise said:

Hi,

Thanks

ML

Not sure where you saw  something about purchasing a ticket to get to the cruise port because as @philpcruisersaid it's just a short walk from the parking garage to the cruise terminal.

Perhaps you're misunderstanding this, which isn't talking about transportation within the cruise terminal grounds, but rather bus transportation from other cities to Cape Liberty:

Coach Transfers

Transfer service via coach shuttle can be purchased for pre and post cruise arrangements. Purchase of transfer tickets can be made through your travel agent, cruise line or directly onboard. Please check with your cruise line for further details.

The coach shuttle pick-up area is located directly across from the terminal exit.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Lovemymaggie said:

There will be 5 of us with luggage needing to get to the Hyatt House Jersey City. What should we use for transportation? 

I assume you're traveling to the Hyatt House from somewhere in the nearby area such as EWR or Cape Liberty .

I'd say UberXL or Uber Black SUV would work.

On 5/7/2022 at 9:10 AM, njhorseman said:

I assume you're traveling to the Hyatt House from somewhere in the nearby area such as EWR or Cape Liberty .

I'd say UberXL or Uber Black SUV would work.

I'm sorry, yes, from Cape Liberty. Thank you.

I need information about parking at Cape Liberty.

We are planning a repositioning cruise on Celebrity Beyond, this Fall.  So I was thinking of driving up and parking at the port itself.  We live about 2 hours south of Cape Liberty.  We've done this before without a problem on roundtrip cruises from Cape Liberty.  But as I said, this is a repositioning cruise.  We embark at Cape Liberty and Disembark in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

So, obviously post-cruise, we fly to Newark Intl Airport, and grab a cab over to Cape Liberty to pick up our car.  But on that day, there will be no cruise ship in port, so I'm not sure if the car parking building is even accessible?  Do they lock up the garage when no one is there?  I wouldn't think so, but I'm guessing there isn't much in the way of staffing there when there's no ship in port.  Also, what if it's midnight (planes get delayed) when we finally get to Cape Liberty to pick up our car?

The other question I have is about Cape Liberty saying they don't take parking reservations as "Parking Spaces are Guaranteed to be available".  Oh, really?  We are sailing out mid-week.  The weekend before, Adventure (Saturday) and Oasis (Sunday) are picking up guests (some percentage of which will be filling those parking spots) before we get there.  Is their guarantee of available parking still holding?  I'm guessing their model is based on roundtrip passengers picking up and leaving off cars at a stable rate, but what happens when you shoehorn in passengers on a repositioning cruise as well?

On the other hand, maybe it's a pretty low percentage of people who park at the port?  I'm going to need to call them and see if they have any info.  

The only other alternative is to park at a hotel that includes parking while on the cruise with a night's stay, and one close to the airport with a shuttle to the hotel.  But I've seen some caveats about that as well.  Many of them do offer Park and Cruise options, though.

Anyway, if anyone knows if Cape Liberty's Parking garage is always accessible (even without a ship in port) 24/7, please let me know.  Or if you've been on a repositioning cruise out of Cape Liberty, and you parked your car there, was there still ample parking even though the building was already holding cars of people on typical roundtrip cruises out of Cape Liberty?

11 hours ago, Cruising Forever! said:

Two comments.

I have no personal experience in doing what you are suggesting but AFAIK the advice has always been that you can't get access on a day when there isn't a ship in port. 

The guarantee of parking always being available does not mean parking in the garage is guaranteed to be available. The garage can fill to capacity in which case you have to park in the adjacent outside lot.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cruising Forever! said:

We are planning a repositioning cruise on Celebrity Beyond, this Fall.  So I was thinking of driving up and parking at the port itself.  We live about 2 hours south of Cape Liberty.  We've done this before without a problem on roundtrip cruises from Cape Liberty.  But as I said, this is a repositioning cruise.  We embark at Cape Liberty and Disembark in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

So, obviously post-cruise, we fly to Newark Intl Airport, and grab a cab over to Cape Liberty to pick up our car.  

Anyway, if anyone knows if Cape Liberty's Parking garage is always accessible (even without a ship in port) 24/7, please let me know.  Or if you've been on a repositioning cruise out of Cape Liberty, and you parked your car there, was there still ample parking even though the building was already holding cars of people on typical roundtrip cruises out of Cape Liberty?

Given the uncertainty of access to Cape Liberty’s parking garage, it would make sense to park at Newark Airport’s long term parking -  which would better tie in with you incoming flight.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cruising out of Cape Liberty Jun 12th on Summit.   We always stay in Parsippany the night before then its a 30ish min drive in to the port.   Any changes/construction along I-78 and exit 14A to be aware of?  Last time we did this in 2019 I think we stayed left at exit 14A thru the toll booth to get to the port - does that still hold true?

Thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, AMCJavelin said:

Last time we did this in 2019 I think we stayed left at exit 14A thru the toll booth to get to the port - does that still hold true?

Thanks in advance!

Yes. After the toll booth stay left follow signs for 440/Chosin Few Way.  Go up the ramp, then go right onto Chosin Few Way (where it splits with 440) to the end. Left onto Goldsborough Dr to the terminal.

At the tool booth there are options for Avenue E, 440 & Chosin Few Way, all can lead to the port. Chosin Few is the best choice.

20 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

Yes. After the toll booth stay left follow signs for 440/Chosin Few Way.  Go up the ramp, then go right onto Chosin Few Way (where it splits with 440) to the end. Left onto Goldsborough Dr to the terminal.

At the tool booth there are options for Avenue E, 440 & Chosin Few Way, all can lead to the port. Chosin Few is the best choice.

Yep thats the what I thought.  Much thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Sailing today out of Cape Liberty, boarding was a shitshow. Our check-in time was 1 - 1:30. Arrived at 12:15 in the car line to drop our bags off, parked car in the garage and walked to get in line at about 12:45. So far about what we experienced in the past.

However, line to enter the terminal was from the front door down the building toward the parking garage and completely around the to the very end. Took around 40 minutes to get into the building. Only 4 if about 10 security stations open, one being somewhat reserved for families with small children. The security scanning would stop every few minutes because check-in was backed up. Once when we were queued up for a scanner they opened the line directly behind so people could use the scanner previously reserved for families.

When we got through security there was no priority check-in and we were directed to one line. If course a couple of minutes after we entered that line, they opened another line and again people behind us were checked in prior to us.  

All told it took 2 hours from arriving at the port to getting on the ship. Before anyone says it is because of Health Protocols, realize that there was no social distancing and that the supposed mask requirement was not enforced.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, aaronk56 said:

However, line to enter the terminal was from the front door down the building toward the parking garage and completely around the to the very end. Took around 40 minutes to get into the building. 

All told it took 2 hours from arriving at the port to getting on the ship. Before anyone says it is because of Health Protocols, realize that there was no social distancing and that the supposed mask requirement was not enforced.

The requirement to wear masks inside Cape Liberty terminal has been removed. It is now optional.

I have seen & experienced those lines outside the terminal entrance. They are lengthened unnecessarily because of cruisers who queue before their scheduled appointment time. Like you, I was dismayed seeing the line and initially waited at the end of the line until I thought better to go to the front and inquire. I was told my appointment time could queue. I got in the shorter line consisting of those who were being allowed in as opposed to those who were standing as if they were on line. Thirty minutes later I was on the ship.   

For the May 26 Adventure sailing due to the computers crashing, it took 4 hours for some to be processed and board.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, aaronk56 said:

All told it took 2 hours from arriving at the port to getting on the ship.

We sailed out of Bayonne earlier this year. Invariably we always seek to board a vessel near the end of boarding period, and rarely encounter any queues. This last time everything at Bayonne was free flowing, no one queued for security, and most check-in stations being empty and available for walking up immediately.

23 hours ago, clpkab4cruising said:

Does anyone have recommendations for parking at/near the Newark airport? (Searching for my parents who will be flying out of there for a European cruise.)

Thanks.

Cheryl

Park at the airport Economy lot and prebook on the airport's official website.