Grand Turk - Beach chair scam!!!!

bamboozel

We do not really spend a lot of time on the beach, but it would be nice to sit on a chair at least in a somewhat shady area rather than on a beach towel on the sand.  However, we do visit some of the shops and look forward to having a non alcoholic drink (smoothie) and perhaps some cookies from the buffet.  We prefer the area near to the buffet opposite from where the ship is docked because the water is calmer and crystal clear.

Not wanting to create a problem, but passengers should be warned of the scam when discussions on the ports are held.  If no one pays, the scam will stop.

MARAPRINCE

In the early pages of this thread I agreed it seemed like a “scam” but I think the problem is expecting free chairs and then being charged. People are afraid to just move if they don’t want to pay.

This animosity toward the “locals” (eww). Ummm, it’s their island and aren’t the beaches public? They could be more welcoming thought.

• Like 2

if you do it soon enough, you should be able to edit

Edit to add:  I agree with your thought that we are visitors to their island and should not expect everything to be free.  It is not a private port/beach like Half Moon Cay or Princess Cay.

I personally preferred walking a distance away from the crowds and enjoying a better view at Jack's Shack.  $10 seemed a very reasonable price to pay for 2 chairs and an umbrella there, even if we spent the bulk of our time in the water.

Edited by pacruise804
edit to add information

10 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Though.  How do I edit my post?

under your post text should be  + Quote Edit

under others's post text is + Quote

ETA: There is a time limit to editing posts - I think around 20 minutes.

Edited by pacruise804

On 6/13/2019 at 7:50 PM, grandmarnnurse said:

I’m sure I already commented on here, but with two more cruises coming up to this port, it really irked me, the experience we had. I also know that John Heald has addressed this after numerous letters to him, including mine. As John Heald stated, only the Blue Loungers with Green Umbrellas are free to cruise passengers. But it seems that there are a lot more of the “for fee” loungers and umbrellas from the locals. And they went and put them right in prime beach areas (closest to water) so that the free ones are scarce and in the back. I know someone will say there are plenty of free ones, but there were NONE available when we got off the ship. There was literally nowhere for us to sit. We found two loungers (one that was broken) back by Margaritaville, but not in a very shady area (no umbrella), so we just headed back to the ship after one cocktail at Margaritaville. We were really disappointed. Hoping for a better experience next time. But I’ve seen pics of this beach before they allowed the locals to take it over, and it was a much better experience for cruisers.

so, isn't this called free enterprise? the locals aren't scamming you, they are just trying to make a living. In the beach town I live in in south florida, there are businesses up and down the beach that rent chairs and umbrellas for a fee. same thing, in my eyes. we believe in democracy and free enterprise in our country, just not in other countries?!! I don't get it.

Pat

7 hours ago, quickrate said:

so, isn't this called free enterprise? the locals aren't scamming you, they are just trying to make a living. 

Not sure I agree with you.  I thought Grand Turk was one of the ports that Carnival put money into as kind of a private island stop and hence, we never used to pay for chairs.

Something must have happened along the way that allowed Carnival to turn it over to the locals.

Ultimately this costs the Carnival customer 

38 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Not sure I agree with you.  I thought Grand Turk was one of the ports that Carnival put money into as kind of a private island stop and hence, we never used to pay for chairs.

Something must have happened along the way that allowed Carnival to turn it over to the locals.

While Carnival invested there, GT is decidedly NOT a controlled, gated port analogous to Amber Cove and Mahogany Bay.  Oh, and the wailing and gnashing of teeth about 'scams' at GT is simply laughable.  It's a great 'pit stop' port that simply provides a few hours of relaxation as the ship passes by on the way to larger, move diverse destinations. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Carnival did put a lot of money in to develop the Grand Turk Cruise Center and Margaritaville. However, Carnival never owned the beach and never will. ALL the beaches are public, so therefore locals can pedal their wares, rent chairs and umbrellas wherever they want. Carnival can't do a thing about it. Do you think they want vendors selling water, soda, and beer out of coolers for one third the price right on their front step? We don't have to like it but it is what it is. You just need to be aware and Carnival is now making their passengers aware.

• Like 2

Last week we arrived in Grand Turk at Noon. Another ship had already ported and their cruisers were already on shore. I have been there many times. In the past, we have always managed to get the free blue chairs with green umbrellas. On this day, they  had all been taken. (yes, it does seem like there are far less of them than there used to be). I had $26 cash with me. We walked down towards the water where a local was renting two chairs and an umbrella for $30. I told him that I only had $26 and he said that would do. He put a wristband on us and I paid him. I really didn't mind paying for them since we planned to be there for five hours and they were right up close to the water. It was worth it to us. The same local was selling buckets of local beer (5/$25) and is seemed he got lots of business. 

• Like 1