Best evenings for specialty dining?

hollydale

Hi - I'm new to HAL and will be on Westerdam with family in May from Seward to Vancouver. We'd like to enjoy specialty dining on some evenings. When is best? During formal night? Any idea how to determine when that is? How difficult are reservations? We have early MDR dining, but we're thinking a few special dining nights might be nice.  Apologies for the newbie questions. Very excited to enjoy the whole experience!

1 hour ago, hollydale said:

Hi - I'm new to HAL and will be on Westerdam with family in May from Seward to Vancouver. We'd like to enjoy specialty dining on some evenings. When is best? During formal night? Any idea how to determine when that is? How difficult are reservations? We have early MDR dining, but we're thinking a few special dining nights might be nice.  Apologies for the newbie questions. Very excited to enjoy the whole experience!

Different people have different ideas of best time to do specialty dining.

Some people like to make sure they don't miss Gala (previously formal) nights.  Other people would rather skip it and do specialty dining.

First Gala night is usually the first full day on board (day after embarkation) if it is a sea day.  Last Gala night is often the last sea day (not the night before disembarkation).

Reservations are not usually difficult IF you are flexible on the time you want to dine.  If you want a specific time, then it may be beneficial to pre-book on line.

That way, your reservation is assured.  Your credit card will be charged immediately, though if you do this.

hope this helps a bit.

We do Canaletto on the last night on board. Sometimes table mates have been packing and do not show up on the last night.It is more casual than Pinnacle for the last night. We have the last bottle from our wine package sent to Canaletto on the night before. Try the Pinnacle for lunch, book as soon as you board.

If we do specialty dining (which is rare for us)  it's always the first night.....The MDR can be a little chaotic that first night (everyone new at finding their table and the waiters getting used to new folks) so It's a good night to avoid it....We would never miss gala nights in the MDR.....that's the best menus in the MDR for the entire cruise......that's our opinion.....of course, ymmv.....

1 hour ago, GulfShoresCruiser said:

We would never miss gala nights in the MDR.....that's the best menus in the MDR for the entire cruise......that's our opinion.....of course, ymmv.....

Totally agree.

Last year on the Celebrity Millennium the staff was pushing their Japanese restaurant at a lower price on the first night and hubby bought it.  😞  I was so upset that we missed sail away from Hong Kong because of this.  I told him ....NEVER AGAIN.  I also agree the best menu in the MDR is on Gala Nights so we won't miss those.

i will say that we always do Pinnacle on the last night.  It’s such a nice way to cap off the cruise.  But as I said earlier, everyone is different so what suits us may not suit you.

My PG’s are already booked.  It is what it is.  I can’t guess all the nights nor will I try.  We’ll just enjoy and if escargots are in the MDR I know the PG will get them for me 😉 

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

It's been our experience that the Gala Night MDR menu items are also available on the buffet.

I have studied this over our last 4 or 5 cruises. My experience indicates that some items from the MDR menu will be available in the buffet, but not all, and the ones they have are not always the same cuts of beef, or 100% match to what is on the MDR menu. Everything on the MDR menu is not suitable or efficient for buffet display and serving.