Venice

jonever

You can take a water taxi, but it's very expensive.

There are less expensive public transit options, including the Aligaluna water bus from the cruise port to San Marco, or even less expensive the People Mover to Piazzale Roma followed by the vaporetto to San Marco.

While the water is a huge draw for Venice, I find that wandering around on foot is the best way to get a feel for the place, beyond the common pathway between San Marco and Rialto which is heaving with people most of the time.

• Thanks 1

jonever, it would probably help us to give you more specific details and options if you gave us a little background as to your situation.  If you're reasonably healthy and able to walk distances, then the best method is possibly different than if you are not interested in walking much.  Are you wanting to do things "on-your-own" or do you prefer to pay for transportation?  All are possible.  Myself, I would walk to the PeopleMover from the ship and take it to Piazzale Roma.  Then I would walk to San Marco, enjoying the sites along the way.  I would then probably ride the vaporetto (a water bus of sorts) via the Grand Canal back to Piazzale Roma.  Or I'd switch those 2 methods around.  Or perhaps walk both ways.  It's definitely walkable (I did it probably 5 times when I stayed in Venice for 3 days).  But that would take you 30 minutes or so to walk it.

Try to take the vaporetto from P. Roma to St, Mark's Square.  Great way to see the Grand Canal and it will go right under the Rialto Bridge.  Most likely, anything (other than a water taxi that you can direct) will take the shipping route (the way your ship comes in and out) and NOT the Grand Canal to St. Marks.

• Thanks 1

One can certainly use the low cost People Mover from the port over to the P. Roma and then access the vaporettos.  The #1 and #2 lines stop at both Rialto and St Marks Square.  However, for those who enjoy lots of walking a great way to see Venice is to simply walk.  This takes you through many interesting areas and you get a great feel for the city.  From the port you can use the People Mover and then start walking to the Rialto Bridge area.  Between Rialto Bridge and St Marks Square is an interesting walk though the internal part of Venice (not accessible via vaporetto).  There are signs to help walkers get to both Rialto and St Marks Square but you have to learn to look up at the corners as the signs are well above eye level on usually on the side of buildings.

Hank

We really enjoyed taking the non express vaparetto (line 1?) and listening to Rick Steve’s audio tour for the line as we rode. We had to wait for a couple of boats to pass us by so that we could be sitting in the front where we had a great view of both sides.  We got off at a couple of spots and then hopped back on...I guess we made it our own HoHo! LOL