MedallionNet Voyage Package

Pickels

On 2/11/2019 at 11:25 AM, jdechter said:

fyi:

Princess Cruises
Princess Cruises Hi, Judy. Elite guests have the option of using their free minutes, or exchanging them for a MedallionNet discount.
Manage

LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 18h
Judy Dechter
Judy Dechter what exactly is the discount? I will be cruising on Royal Feb 21 14 days. thanks
Manage

LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 18h
Princess Cruises
Princess Cruises Thanks for asking, Judy. Loyalty Choice is available during the first 24 hours of the voyage to Platinum and Elite guests, and offers a 25% discount off the voyage rate. Normally a 14-day package would be $199.99, so you would pay $89.99 for MedallionNet for the full voyage.
Manage

Am I missing something here?  25% discount off $199.99 would be $149.99, wouldn’t it? 14-day unlimited for $89.99 is a 55% discount. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

It's available on the Sky now, just booked it for our 11 night Baltic in April 2020 for $74.99!!! YEAH!!!

We have been booked on the Sky for about a year for the transatlantic 14 day crossing in November, and our personalizer still shows the by-the-minute plans.  Did yours always show medallion-net available?

On 3/14/2019 at 7:32 AM, PescadoAmarillo said:

Am I missing something here?  25% discount off $199.99 would be $149.99, wouldn’t it? 14-day unlimited for $89.99 is a 55% discount. 

I believe it's 25% off of the first days voyage-long purchase rate, which is already discounted.

Can someone provide a screen shot of the medallion net packages from their personalizer showing rates for a 14 day voyage?  I called and talked Princess today and the rep could not even tell me medallion net rates in general. She made it sound like there were levels of packages depending upon if you just wanted to access social media or streaming. 

2 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Can someone provide a screen shot of the medallion net packages from their personalizer showing rates for a 14 day voyage?  I called and talked Princess today and the rep could not even tell me medallion net rates in general. She made it sound like there were levels of packages depending upon if you just wanted to access social media or streaming. 

see PDF below

Princess MedallionNetPriceSheet Apr.2019.pdf

10 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

We have been booked on the Sky for about a year for the transatlantic 14 day crossing in November, and our personalizer still shows the by-the-minute plans.  Did yours always show medallion-net available?

No, ours did not always show it available.  I have been checking every couple of weeks the lastfew months and yesterday was the first time I saw the Medallion net available.  

16 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

It's available on the Sky now, just booked it for our 11 night Baltic in April 2020 for $74.99!!! YEAH!!!

I'll be sailing on Sky on January 2020 and the only packages shown online are the old ones. 

19 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

I'll be sailing on Sky on January 2020 and the only packages shown online are the old ones. 

Can't explain why it was on our sailing and not on yours.  I just happened to look yesterday after we altered our booking from the 25 day TA & Baltic to just the Baltic and there it was....

5 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Can't explain why it was on our sailing and not on yours.  I just happened to look yesterday after we altered our booking from the 25 day TA & Baltic to just the Baltic and there it was....

It seems that the RCI IT department is not the only buggy one around here. :classic_laugh:

Edited by carlosalonsor
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can someone help with the difference between the two unlimited MedallionNet packages they sell?  One is for four devices, the other isn't clear but I imagine it is one device?  If I get the cheaper one (MedallionNet Voyage Package), can I switch one device off and turn on another or am I locked into one device for the trip?

1 minute ago, OMFA said:

Can someone help with the difference between the two unlimited MedallionNet packages they sell?  One is for four devices, the other isn't clear but I imagine it is one device?  If I get the cheaper one (MedallionNet Voyage Package), can I switch one device off and turn on another or am I locked into one device for the trip?

I think you have it.

With the four-device package, you can have four devices connected simultaneously.

With the one-device package, you can connect different devices, but only one device can be connected at a time.  Keep in mind, also, that it is not a matter of turning devices off and on.  You would have to log off the network on one device, and, then, log onto the network with your second one.  It's not hard.  I just wanted to be clear.

7 minutes ago, OMFA said:

If you purchase a single device unlimited plan you can use multiple devices but only one device at a time.

On my recent 14-day cruise the plan for 4 devices to simultaneously be logged in was double the price of a single device...$90 for a single device at a time;  $180 for 4 devices at a time.

For my cruise the single unlimited plan in advance was $120 but passengers eligible for free minutes (platinum/elite) received a 25% discount to $90 when purchased within the first 24 hours of the cruise.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I think you have it.

With the four-device package, you can have four devices connected simultaneously.

With the one-device package, you can connect different devices, but only one device can be connected at a time.  Keep in mind, also, that it is not a matter of turning devices off and on.  You would have to log off the network on one device, and, then, log onto the network with your second one.  It's not hard.  I just wanted to be clear.

Thanks for the help... Only been on a couple cruises and I just don't remember and have a follow-up question.  So when on the ship, can I use wi-fi to connect with others on the ship, or do I need to pay for the internet package to do this?  I seem to remember some wi-fi access, like getting to the Princess app or site with some information, but I don't remember if they had a messaging service.  Pretty sure if I want to contact others on the ship with iMessage, I would need the internet package.

Edited by OMFA

1 hour ago, OMFA said:

Thanks for the help... Only been on a couple cruises and I just don't remember and have a follow-up question.  So when on the ship, can I use wi-fi to connect with others on the ship, or do I need to pay for the internet package to do this?  I seem to remember some wi-fi access, like getting to the Princess app or site with some information, but I don't remember if they had a messaging service.  Pretty sure if I want to contact others on the ship with iMessage, I would need the internet package.

No, you will not need the internet package to connect with your friends / family on the ship.  

On 2/9/2019 at 10:08 AM, dchip said:

I am on the Royal right now. The Medallion Net WiFi is fast!!!! I’m truly amazed and pleased. Having unlimited WiFi is also allowing my photos to back up. I hemmed about giving up my free minutes but it is worth every penny to me. Might not be another passenger’s cup of tea. 

Cheers, Denise 

I will be on the Crown in Aug 2019 and purchased the Medallion Net WiFi.  I paid $74.99 each for 12 day voyage.. Did you prepurchase yours or did you wait until you got on the ship?  I read somewhere on a post that if you wait till you get on the ship, the price is less. I gave up my free elite minutes. 

Hope to hear from you

Regards

Walter

We just got back from an Alaskan cruise with Medallionnet. I would HIGHLY recommend buying the package before the cruise. We used up our free minutes in 3 days. The Royal Princess wifi was as bad (maybe worse) than other non-Medallionnet cruised. They gave us 34 extra minutes when we complained and my wife used them all up in one Facebook post. Had to buy a one day package for $20 for my birthday. 

Unless you need both devices to connect at the same time I would also recommend just one package.

HTH

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

No, you will not need the internet package to connect with your friends / family on the ship.  

As long as you all connect using Princess' messaging system.  If you want to use something like WhatsApp or other messaging apps that work over internet, then you all would have to be on a package of some sort.  Of course this means email as well.

An improvement with Princess' messaging if you are on a Medallion Net ship and using OCEAN CONNECT app, is that you do get a notice of a new message.  (The icon lights up with a number, similar to other apps you may have on your home screen).

3 hours ago, WAPAVO said:

I will be on the Crown in Aug 2019 and purchased the Medallion Net WiFi.  I paid $74.99 each for 12 day voyage.. Did you prepurchase yours or did you wait until you got on the ship?  I read somewhere on a post that if you wait till you get on the ship, the price is less. I gave up my free elite minutes. 

Hope to hear from you

Regards

Walter

I paid the same ($75) for an 11 night voyage (Regal).  I did pre-purchase after speaking with Princess about the pricing.  But I was also wary of the situation and went straight to Internet Cafe after boarding.  The embrakation pricing for regular passengers was $10 less than the Cruise Personalizer price pre-cruise.  Hence $7.50 less after 25% discount for Elite/Platinum passengers.  In order to actually activate the new unlimited plan, I had to accept my benefit of free minutes and then have that cancelled and replaced with the unlimited package.  The Internet Cafe Manager cheerfully refunded the $7.50 price difference to our on-board accounts.  I will just wait to order on board in future.

2 hours ago, grinnin said:

We just got back from an Alaskan cruise with Medallionnet. I would HIGHLY recommend buying the package before the cruise. We used up our free minutes in 3 days. The Royal Princess wifi was as bad (maybe worse) than other non-Medallionnet cruised. They gave us 34 extra minutes when we complained and my wife used them all up in one Facebook post. Had to buy a one day package for $20 for my birthday. 

Unless you need both devices to connect at the same time I would also recommend just one package.

HTH

Internet speed and latency is not so great as latitude increases.  We had some trouble spots on our Baltic cruise this month, but when working the performance was waaaay better than the old system.  Any impact on internet will be felt whether you are on minutes plan or unlimited.  Obviously, with the unlimited plan, there is less passenger consternation with lost minutes and less demand and work to constantly be giving back more minutes.  I fully expect the minutes option to disappear in the not-to-distant future - once all ships are on Medallion.  I for one am pleased with 25% discount as my loyalty benefit.

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2019 at 12:08 PM, dchip said:

I am on the Royal right now. The Medallion Net WiFi is fast!!!! I’m truly amazed and pleased. Having unlimited WiFi is also allowing my photos to back up. I hemmed about giving up my free minutes but it is worth every penny to me. Might not be another passenger’s cup of tea. 

Cheers, Denise 

To access it, do you have to be in airplane mode.  I know with the ship's intranet, Princess at Sea is used in airplane mode.  And when I took a previous trip, where we used the wifi (x number of minutes), it was also in airplane mode

8 hours ago, CarolandNate said:

To access it, do you have to be in airplane mode.  I know with the ship's intranet, Princess at Sea is used in airplane mode.  And when I took a previous trip, where we used the wifi (x number of minutes), it was also in airplane mode

Yes. I keep my phone in Airplane Mode on the ship. The unlimited Medallion Net was really wonderful. 

Cheers, Denise

22 minutes ago, dchip said:

Yes. I keep my phone in Airplane Mode on the ship. The unlimited Medallion Net was really wonderful. 

Cheers, Denise

That's what I thought.  When we went to Alaska in 2017,  pre Medallion days, we got 240 minutes for $99 using the ships internet.  I think we were in airplane mode, otherwise the phone would be constantly searching for a connection using battery and if it found anything, data.  I remember having to log off the ships internet plan and we forgot a couple of times or werenn't sure that we did and we lost a lot of minutes.  To their credit, they gave me back a number of minutes and I was real careful after that.  That does not seem to be an issue with an unlimited plan like medallion net.  You really don't have to log off.

I was concerned because I really don't want to be flipping back and forth between airplane mode and regular.  That could be a particular concern when we hit land on our upcoming Panama Canal cruise.  Our Verizon international plan includes Mexico and Canada as being no different than using the phone in the US.  Because we have unlimited, no charge for those countries.  The others Colombia, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama are $10 per day for travel pass and once you turn on the phone and take it out of airplane mode on land, you are subject to the daily charge the moment you use the phone for calls or texts or if someone calls or texts you.  And that doesn't even count the roaming charges that might accrue.  I want to have the phone with for emergencies and picture taking, but I am guessing the signals on land might be sketchy in spots, so why bother unless necessary. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does the Medallion Net have anything to do with onboard TV ?  In other words, did they upgrade to smart TV where you can stream movies/shows directly from the TV?

If so, are the medallion net minutes used here also?

Other Cruise lines have so much better movie and show selections through their internet connected TV’s.....I was hoping this would finally be an upgrade for Princess.