NCL Airfare best NY area Airport

swilisky

We are planning a cruise from Miami. With the free airfare we have option of departure airport from NY area; Newark, JFK or LaGuardia airport.

Which is the best to fly from. we are not from NY area and those are the best option for us. Same price for the 3 airports.

Traveling March 1st.

Thanks for your help

You may want to review this LINK for information about East Coast departures (New York City):

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/317-east-coast-departures/

Is your location on near the east coast ?

Are you close to Philadelphia Washington DC Boston ?

There are flights from a multitude of airports to Miami.

Some are non-stop - others through service and then the dreaded connection via Atlanta Charlotte Chicago etc.

Find out what the fare allotment is provided by NCL and see if you can take a credit or fare reduction for that

and wing it yourself on a no bells whistles carrier for less and perhaps more convenient local airport.

And as always plan to arrive in time to catch the cruise - perhaps by arriving a day early at the embarkation port city

and watch the weather factor closely for alternatives.

Before taking that “free” perk, you may want to check to see if your home airport is cheaper than driving into NY, tolls, and parking. For an extra $100, it may be worth the hassle saved to go out of your airport!

Seeing as you’re from Canada, are you planning to drive down into NYC? Are you going to have to park? I think LaGuardia is still under major renovations, and parking was severely limited last year when we flew out- we ended up asking a relative to drive us, because the website showed no available spaces at 9 am on a saturday. So I would avoid LGA. If you do go with LGA, reserve your parking as far in advance as possible, and get there early in case it is full. You’ll probably be coming down the NYS Thruway- so it may be easier for you to get to Newark. Looks like United has quite a few (>5) direct flights to Miami a day from Newark. JFK is an OK airport but if you’re not familiar with driving there, you’d have to go through Yonkers, the Bronx, part of Queens (on highways, but they can become congested and have a lot of the drivers NYC is known for) and over city bridges, You may want to avoid. At least with Newark, you can come in from the west and not drive through the city. (Especially if you’ll be going on a weekday to get down there a day early)

Happy Travels!

If you can avoid going over the bridges/through the tunnels to get to LGA or JFK I would do it. If there are non stops out of Newark that would be my choice. Parking at Newark sometimes fills up by 11 a.m. You didn't state where you are staying overnight. I would find a hotel with guaranteed parking that isn't too expensive. We have stayed at the Marriott right at Newark airport but did not have a car. I would call them and see what they would charge you for parking and then compare hotels out of the airport complex.

Driving is easier to Newark and parking is cheaper. Google "Newark airport parking" for discounts at off-airport lots, or look for a hotel that has a stay-park-fly rate.

From where I live in upstate New York, I will drive to Newark in mild weather, but never to LGA or JFK, and never in the winter.

Edited by kochleffel

Thanks all for the comment.

There is no way it can be cheaper to  fly from Montreal, its at least $800 each compare to the $194 that NCL charge me. We saved around $1200. Even adding gas and parking, its still à big save.

It's 6 hours driving. I drove To NY in the past, pretty easy.

I think for me the best option is Newark 

Edited by swilisky
  • Like 1

I usually tried to answer these Q on the East Coast forum, but let me recap first - you are crusing NCL out of Miami in about 3 weeks, home is just north of our US border in Quebec and taking up the included "free/discount" air option - since it's still late Winter & mother nature/weather is always in play ... I would go for either Newark or JFK, forget LGA as it's most prone of air traffic/ground stops, whatever ... not to mention ongoing airport expansion & re-development @LGA, which can complicate ground transfer.  

It read like you are planning to drive into NY area - coming in a day early ? (highly recommended, late season weather coming our way this/next week) - then, Newark Int'l Airport has long term parking & easier coming down the Thruway & work your way to your EWR.  There are a # of off-airport hotels offering stay-n-park option, package priced as very competitive - folks sailing out of Cape Liberty & even Manhattan (NCL) have been happy with positive, good feedback with it. 

3 hours ago, swilisky said:

Thanks all for the comment.

There is no way it can be cheaper to  fly from Montreal, its at least $800 each compare to the $194 that NCL charge me. We saved around $1200. Even adding gas and parking, its still à big save.

It's 6 hours driving. I drove To NY in the past, pretty easy.

I think for me the best option is Newark 

Absolutely Newark EWR! We fly out of there all the time. Check into Corporate Parking in Elizabeth. That is who we always use. Look online and you will find a $9.00 per day outside parking coupon. It is safe and gated. Once you pull into the lot they will immediately take you via van to the airport. Parking at the airport will cost you more and it is super difficult to navigate the roads around the airport. Corporate parking is 5 minutes from the airport. Once you arrive back from your trip you simply get your bags and call them to pick you up. They have multiple vans that circle the airport. Easy Peasy all the time.