Seasick ????

coolio111

I heard on the bigger ships that you will not be as seasick as on a smaller ships/boats.

I have been on a self driven motor boat on a small harbour/ part of the lake. At times the boat did rock, but me and the kids did not feel sick. Is this a good gauge of that we will not get seasick on the ship?

Thanks

19 minutes ago, coolio111 said:

I heard on the bigger ships that you will not be as seasick as on a smaller ships/boats.

I have been on a self driven motor boat on a small harbour/ part of the lake. At times the boat did rock, but me and the kids did not feel sick. Is this a good gauge of that we will not get seasick on the ship?

Thanks

Hi Coolio, I just posted a similar, yet opposite, question. "Frequent cruisers" recently told me that mega-ships (~4000 passengers) are less stable than smaller ships (~700 passengers). I asked the board if this logic is true. I hope we get an answer. Best wishes.

All cruise ships launched in the past 25 years are stabilized to reduce side to side wave motion while at sea. Head on up and down wave motion cannot be reduced.  How much this would affect someone is impossible to predict. 

Stateroom location also can impact the effects of motion in that the more forward, higher deck staterooms will feel the up and down motion more than mid-ship lower deck locations. Lower deck locations will also feel the side to side motion less as well.

The logic that larger ships are less stable than smaller ships doesn't make sense.  All modern cruise ships are designed to be seaworthy regardless of size and as mentioned are all stabilized.  However, common sense would indicate that the same wave size, intensity, and motion would impact smaller ships with less displacement more greatly than larger, heavier displacement ships. 

My experience over the past 26+ years on 16 different cruise ships (many multiple times) of displacements from 70,000 tons to 220,000 tons would bear this out as well.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

All cruise ships launched in the past 25 years are stabilized to reduce side to side wave motion while at sea. Head on up and down wave motion cannot be reduced.  How much this would affect someone is impossible to predict. 

Stateroom location also can impact the effects of motion in that the more forward, higher deck staterooms will feel the up and down motion more than mid-ship lower deck locations. Lower deck locations will also feel the side to side motion less as well.

The logic that larger ships are less stable than smaller ships doesn't make sense.  All modern cruise ships are designed to be seaworthy regardless of size and as mentioned are all stabilized.  However, common sense would indicate that the same wave size, intensity, and motion would impact smaller ships with less displacement more greatly than larger, heavier displacement ships. 

My experience over the past 26+ years on 16 different ships (many multiple times) of displacements from 70,000 tons to 220,000 tons would bear this out as well.

Thanks leaveit. Your logic makes more sense than that of the "frequent cruiser" group I spoke with.  The large "sail area" they talked about would come into play in heavy crosswinds and cause rolling (or maybe some pitching) but, if I understand you correctly, that exactly what stabilizers are for (?). 

16 minutes ago, Doc Tom said:

Thanks leaveit. Your logic makes more sense than that of the "frequent cruiser" group I spoke with.  The large "sail area" they talked about would come into play in heavy crosswinds and cause rolling (or maybe some pitching) but, if I understand you correctly, that exactly what stabilizers are for (?). 

Well there is some truth to the large sail area discussion in that the larger ships may tend to pitch sideways more in strong crosswinds than smaller ships, but that doesn't make them less stable in terms of seaworthiness or necessarily cause rolling.  We were on a 138,000 ton displacement cruise ship heading north from Florida to New York in a heavy rainstorm with 30 MPH direct cross winds one night which for a while caused the ship to list to one side a few degrees while tracking north through the storm.  But it was a steady list, not an ongoing rolling motion.  And in all other respects the ship was quite stable - likely as a result of the stabilizers.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

I have taken 40 cruises and of those 9 have been on an Oasis size ship (6,000 passengers).  Those sailings have been some of the smoothest we have ever taken and they have all been at different times of the year.

Just my personal experience..?.

14 hours ago, coolio111 said:

Thanks

Hi

I would say to your question, if you experienced the type of rocking and rolling that can come from waves on a smaller motor boat in motion for a "prolonged" period without any ill effects, I believe you will more than likely not to suffer on a cruise ship. This would certainly be the case for normal sea conditions. 

Don't forget  if the ship was in really bad sea conditions, the motion doesn't stop. It can go on for many hours. That is why even people who typically don't feel sick can eventually start to feel ill. Sometime it can be other factors that contribute as well, an odor for instance can bring on nausea, what they may have eaten or if they had been drinking. You will definitely learn what your body can tolerate in those "worst" conditions.

• Like 1

I live on a boat year round and, the first 4 months of it, I was sick 24/7. I still get a touch of it on some days, or in stormy weather.

That being said, I have never gotten ill on a cruise ship at all. You just don't tend to get that rolling feeling, and it's not as easy to notice if she is rolling slightly. Make sure to look out across the horizon and not focus on the water. The cruise ship feels solid, not anything like a small/er craft.

But that being said, I also make sure I don't cruise during the stormy season for the area I'm headed.

1 hour ago, jessencaitly said:

I live on a boat year round and, the first 4 months of it, I was sick 24/7. I still get a touch of it on some days, or in stormy weather.

That being said, I have never gotten ill on a cruise ship at all. You just don't tend to get that rolling feeling, and it's not as easy to notice if she is rolling slightly. Make sure to look out across the horizon and not focus on the water. The cruise ship feels solid, not anything like a small/er craft.

But that being said, I also make sure I don't cruise during the stormy season for the area I'm headed.

You live on a cruise ship or on a houseboat ?

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

Amazing.That is something I desired to do when I was young.

It has its ups and downs, some days quite literally. But I wouldn't trade it for the world!

My other half is an ex Bering Sea and Oregon coast fisherman, and moving into a boat was the only way to keep him off the docks and dreaming of going back. 

This will be his first cruise, and he's trying to figure out why we'd leave one boat to vacation on another one,  lol!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jessencaitly said:

It has its ups and downs, some days quite literally. But I wouldn't trade it for the world!

My other half is an ex Bering Sea and Oregon coast fisherman, and moving into a boat was the only way to keep him off the docks and dreaming of going back. 

This will be his first cruise, and he's trying to figure out why we'd leave one boat to vacation on another one,  lol!

2 minutes ago, jessencaitly said:

Enjoy the cruise and post about it here afterward.

• Like 1

I've been seasick on a boat, while deep sea fishing. Brutal.

I've never been seasick on a cruise, even when we are bouncing around so much that we all look like drunks walking around the ship.

Curious fact - when I got seasick on my brother's boat, he told me to eat. Very counter-intuitive and it was hard to start eating, but it did work.

On 2/10/2019 at 2:15 PM, coolio111 said:

Yea, I think you'll be fine - cruise ships are super stable - I once balanced a penny on it's side while going at speed