Two Rooms Booked

iewe

We currently have two rooms booked for a cruise coming up.  My vacation planner is relatively new and wasn't 100% sure about this, so hoping someone with experience can help me out here...

One of the two rooms is for the kids, and the other for us.  Is it possible to get the cards/medallions coded so that all of us can access BOTH rooms?  I know that this is possible on some things (like some hotels), and wasn't sure if it was possible to do this on the Princess as well?

We've done this many times with the key cards.  

I don't know how it works with medallions as we've never had them. 

With the cards:  once we get onboard ( we try to get on early) we goto guest services.  They give us second cards for everyone that are ONLY door keys.  (The magnetic strip cards work only on one door at a time.   )

That way everyone can get into both cabins and still have their original card for id and charges.   The original card with your name on it opens the door you are booked in, and so you have a blank door key to the other cabin.   When the kids were younger we had to book one adult in each room so one of us had to use the blank card to get into "our" room as we were booked into the kids' room.  

We have noticed that the door key cards tend to demagnitize pretty easily so we have to get them redone sometimes.  

• Like 2

It has been several times now that we have taken our adult DS and his family with us on a cruise.  We book a balcony for us and an inside cabin across the hall for them.  We go to PSD and get two cards, one for each room access.  The DS uses a card that will allow him into our cabin and balcony.  We have a card that allows us into his cabin to watch our DGD usually after she has laid down for a nap.  We have never had a problem.  We have not taken them on an OM cruise as yet but the card will open the room as well as the OM so no problem with an extra card. 

I've been thinking about this ... I think with Medallion they also have a new type of card - RFID - with a proximity sensor in it, same as medallion, but in a card.   We were talking to (our favorite) passenger services rep last summer and he was telling us about the new cards.  

So if its an OM cruise, they'll likely issue you RFID cards as room keys to the other room.  

Interesting!  It never occurred to me to do this!  My son gets booked into Grandma's room (so she isn't alone).  We always get balconies and have them open up the door between the balconies for us and then usually leave the balcony doors unlocked  I'll have to look into this though!

15 hours ago, iewe said:

We currently have two rooms booked for a cruise coming up.  My vacation planner is relatively new and wasn't 100% sure about this, so hoping someone with experience can help me out here...

One of the two rooms is for the kids, and the other for us.  Is it possible to get the cards/medallions coded so that all of us can access BOTH rooms?  I know that this is possible on some things (like some hotels), and wasn't sure if it was possible to do this on the Princess as well?

I cannot really help you with your particular question, but perhaps you can help me.

Were you required to have two different booking numbers when booking two cabins?  I am finding it a pain.  I am paying for both cabins and the EZair and excursion bookings were a little bit of a hassle.

We have adjoining cabins, so the key situation should not be much of a problem for us.

Thank you.

52 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Jagocoffee, I just call my PCP and have all the excursions billed to me (4 rooms. 7 people .... I like my own room)

Thanks.  Do you have four different booking numbers?  Do you each have to go into each separate booking number to book excursions?  For instance if you all wish to book a Princess excursuion do you need to make four separate reservations/transactions to get four of you on an excursion?

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

I cannot really help you with your particular question, but perhaps you can help me.

Were you required to have two different booking numbers when booking two cabins?  I am finding it a pain.  I am paying for both cabins and the EZair and excursion bookings were a little bit of a hassle.

We have adjoining cabins, so the key situation should not be much of a problem for us.

Thank you.

I have booked two rooms (one for us, one for kids) on the Ruby. They are two different booking numbers, but the Princess Cruise Consultant linked the two bookings together. That way I could log in to each booking on the Princess website to add soda packages, print boarding passes, etc. When you log into the linked booking, you will need to enter the name and birthdate of the person in that cabin, not your name and birthdate. 

48 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Thanks.  Do you have four different booking numbers?  Do you each have to go into each separate booking number to book excursions?  For instance if you all wish to book a Princess excursuion do you need to make four separate reservations/transactions to get four of you on an excursion?

PCP = Princess Cruise Planner. I just email or call her and she handles it. No idea how. I got the 7 Alaska excursion tickets delivered to me

Yes different booking #s as I am NOT responsible for what my adult son charges onboard.  Limit minors to $10 each (tips on my account)

Edited by Ombud

3 hours ago, Deesquared said:

I have booked two rooms (one for us, one for kids) on the Ruby. They are two different booking numbers, but the Princess Cruise Consultant linked the two bookings together. That way I could log in to each booking on the Princess website to add soda packages, print boarding passes, etc. When you log into the linked booking, you will need to enter the name and birthdate of the person in that cabin, not your name and birthdate. 

Thanks, that is exactly what I do.

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

PCP = Princess Cruise Planner. I just email or call her and she handles it. No idea how. I got the 7 Alaska excursion tickets delivered to me

Yes different booking #s as I am NOT responsible for what my adult son charges onboard.  Limit minors to $10 each (tips on my account)

Thank you.