Passport Collection

ano

So we are going on our first Oceania cruise, and the booklet says Oceania collects your passport at the beginning of the cruise, and you get it back at the end. I have been on many cruises on other lines and never had that done. What is the reason?  Also, when you get off the ship, in other countries, aren't you supposed to carry your passport?  I know in some countries, that is the law. If we were to miss the cruise, of course you need a passport then, but again, wouldn't have it. Maybe someone can explain this. Thanks.

This policy depends on itinerary.

When the ship needs to be cleared by local authorities (say, in India, Vietnam, etc) it makes the process much easier and FASTER for the authorities to check the collected passports (for identity & visas) and clear the ship rather than seeing everyone face to face with their passports (not to mention those that always seem to not know that they need to present themselves and you hear their names being paged endlessly).

When you are in a port where your passport is required for you to have with you, you can collect it from the desk the night before.

It’s no biggie

A query re passport collection during an overnight visit.

I am well used to the ship collecting & holding passports for immigration clearances on arrival.

With an private tour overnight stay in a hotel (ship overnighting in port) we will need to ask for our passport back as soon as immigration has completed their clearance.

Is it normally an easy process having your passport returned to you promptly on that morning ?

Edited by Tranquility Base

2 hours ago, ano said:

If we were to miss the cruise, of course you need a passport then, but again, wouldn't have it. Maybe someone can explain this. Thanks.

if you miss the ship make sure you have the Port Agents info usually posted  in the Currents the night before the port

then you can contact them  & they will likely have your passport

If worried  just ask for your passport to be returned to you after check in

but be aware you may have to report to immigration early each morning when you dock

8 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

just talk to the Purser  the night before  the port or even days before  so he/she is aware you will need your passport

Thanks, yes I will certainly be doing that.

Was interested if anyone has had significant delays in having them returned  in the morning.

Just for planning purposes with transport.

Edited by Tranquility Base

The ports we are going to are just the Caribbean ports we have gone to before, so thought that was weird.  None require any kind of VISA. It just seemed like a pain to collect the passports every morning.  We go to Columbia, which I haven't gone to before. That would be the biggest country.  Most are like Aruba and St. Barts which can't have a very complex immigration requirements.

31 minutes ago, ano said:

The ports we are going to are just the Caribbean ports we have gone to before, so thought that was weird.  None require any kind of VISA. It just seemed like a pain to collect the passports every morning.  We go to Columbia, which I haven't gone to before. That would be the biggest country.  Most are like Aruba and St. Barts which can't have a very complex immigration requirements.

1 They do not collect passports every morning. They keep them when you check in and return them the night before you disembark

2 These are all foreign countries - not part of US. Aruba is part of Netherlands, St.Barts is part of France and ColOmbia is Colombia. They may not require visas but they do require passports to enter (even if you flew in) Thus they will check the passports.

3 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

1 They do not collect passports every morning. They keep them when you check in and return them the night before you disembark

2 These are all foreign countries - not part of US. Aruba is part of Netherlands, St.Barts is part of France and ColOmbia is Colombia. They may not require visas but they do require passports to enter (even if you flew in) Thus they will check the passports.

We have gone to all these ports before, on other cruise ships that never collected our passports. They sat in our safe and we usually took them when in port, but nobody ever checked them. If someone at every port has to now check the passport of every passenger on board, this is a new requirement that didn't exist last year.

By the way, on a closed loop cruise like this one is from Miami to Miami, for U.S. Citizens, like we are, there is no requirement to even have a passport. (Although they are usually recommended, of course.)

in the ports ATW (so a huge number of countries) we walked into the Lounge on Insignia, collected our passport (from a desk manned by 3 of the staff) and walked forward to a desk where the Customs/Immigration staff for that country were seated, and said "good morning."

That representative looked at us, looked at our passport pictures, stamped 1 or more times, said "have a great day", and we continued up the little ramp to the desk set up at the other doors to the Lounge, and handed our passports back to Insignia staff.  Well done everyone!

For those countries not requiring a face-to-face, having O hold them,  which allowed a quick perusal by Customs/Immigration for that country, made it easy for everyone.  And then the Customs/Immigration could enjoy a great dinner in Terrace!

Just now, ano said:

We have gone to all these ports before, on other cruise ships that never collected our passports. They sat in our safe and we usually took them when in port, but nobody ever checked them. If someone at every port has to now check the passport of every passenger on board, this is a new requirement that didn't exist last year.

Are you sure  they will collect the passports  or is it just a standard  statement ?

We usually have to hand in our passports  being Canadian but the last couple of Caribbean cruises we did not  which was a shock to us

I believe Oceania request passports  from all even on closed loop cruises

I could be wrong   as we always  travel with a passport

I think we decided that we will not turn them in, as they aren't even required given a Miami to Miami loop and US citizens. I prefer to keep them with us. We have been on excursions where upon returning they ask everyone to open their passports to show them. I can't remember where this has happened, Mexico maybe.

19 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Are you sure  they will collect the passports  or is it just a standard  statement ?

Exactly - sounds like a standard statement.

We did Miami-NYC ending last month (January 2019) and O did *not* collect our passports - just examined them at check in.  At each port they printed (and announced) what type of ID we would need ashore - iirc maybe 1 port requested we carry our passports with us, all others it was either any government issued ID (that is, a driver's license would be sufficient) or just your world card (that is, your cabin key card).

We have been on O cruises where they *did* collect our passports, and return them at the end of the cruise.

I don't know if this is foolproof, but I have heard it is best practice to leave your passport in your room safe.  If you don't make the ship, staff may check there to retrieve your passport(s) and hand them over to the port agent.