Pearl Harbor/Missouri Questions

sharmorr

Am I missing anything here?   (1) Uber (or #42 bus) from Hilton Hawaiian Village to PH.   Will reserve time slot online ahead of time for early morning.  (2) Upon arrival at the visitor center, we purchase tickets for the Missouri.   Are we given a time for this or do we just show up anytime?   (3) We would like to just use headsets and wander the Missouri on our own, not a guided tour.  Can we do that?  (4) I read $29 somewhere - does this include the shuttle and headsets?   Thanks for your replies.

There are actually three other attractions at Pearl Harbor in addition to the USS Arizona memorial: The USS Bowfin, a WWII submarine open for tours- it's moored next to the Visitor Center-within the walking distance; The USS Missouri and the Pacific Air Museum both on Ford Island. There is a free shuttle bus from the Visitor Center area to both attractions on Ford Island. You  can purchase a ticket that combines the sites or you can purchase individual tickets ahead of time or at each site. You can tour the sites at your own pace, not necessary to be part of a tour group. They are all worth visiting and there is a restaurant at the air museum as well as some snack food on the Missouri's pier. You can just show up anytime at these sites.

Not to hijack OP's post but I went on to get tickets for our Pearl Harbor day and despite going on exactly 60 days ahead first thing in the morning, could only get a 2pm tour for the Arizona.  Do I need to get tickets for Bowfin and Missouri ahead of time too?  Or can we just show up and do those at our leisure while killing time until Arizona?

Don't worry about Bowfin, tours are on your own.

For Missouri, it depends on what you want to do.  They have general admission (no times required) and some great guided tours...highly recommended...which have time requirements.

Have you checked the Missouri website?

The most recent estimate for accessing the Arizona Memorial by late March will not be met.

“Walk-on access to the USS Arizona Memorial won’t be restored by the end of March, as previously announced by the National Park Service, and it may be many more months before access resumes, officials said”.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/02/26/breaking-news/access-to-the-uss-arizona-memorial-wont-be-restored-for-many-more-months/

On 2/27/2019 at 1:14 AM, Astro Flyer said:

The most recent estimate for accessing the Arizona Memorial by late March will not be met.

“Walk-on access to the USS Arizona Memorial won’t be restored by the end of March, as previously announced by the National Park Service, and it may be many more months before access resumes, officials said”.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/02/26/breaking-news/access-to-the-uss-arizona-memorial-wont-be-restored-for-many-more-months/

Thanks good to know, we'll be there in Mar.

6 hours ago, ski ww said:

Thanks good to know, we'll be there in Mar.

They’re continuing to offer this as a substitute to walking on the Memorial.

”In the interim, visitors with free USS Arizona Memorial program tickets will continue to see a 25-minute documentary film followed by a narrated harbor tour of Battleship Row on U.S. Navy vessels, which pass as close as possible to the USS Arizona Memorial. Visitors are also welcome to tour our two free museums, shore side exhibits, snack shop and bookstore, and all of our partner sites remain open and available. For more information, please visit our website at www.nps.gov/valr and our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/valorNPS”.

I will never forget my first time seeing the USS Arizona Memorial from the flight deck of an aircraft carrier arriving at dawn nearly 30 years after the attack.  That was before the Ford Island bridge was built & it was possible to circumnavigate Ford Island.  During my most recent visit I purchased a flag that flew over the USS Arizona Memorial on the 51st remembrance of the attack.

Edited by Astro Flyer

On 3/1/2019 at 12:47 AM, ski ww said:

Thanks for your service.

Allan

Appreciate your thanks...it was an honor to serve.

I’m fortunate to still be able to visit my ship...USS Midway in San Diego as a floating museum.

Edited by Astro Flyer