Steakhouse on embarkation day?

I got the email about the free bottle of wine if you eat at the steakhouse on embarkation day, so I went ahead and booked.  But now I’m second guessing the decision.  I’ve always enjoyed the food in the MDR so I don’t know if it’s really worth the extra cash versus putting that money towards something else. Also, I don’t know if will make us feel rushed that first day and keep us from enjoying sail away, etc.  

Any advice?

2 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

I like doing it on the first night, nice way to settle in. BUT BUT BUT, do NOT book because of the free bottle of wine. I like nice wine, I like 2 buck chuck, I like about anything. That free bottle is NOT good. hahaha, be warned.

You are so right!  I never take the free bottle.  They also offer 50% off any bottle on the wine list.  That is usually what I choose.  You can get some pretty good wines at decent prices that way.

My answers are of course subjective, and personal opinion only.

We never felt rushed since we do early dining every night.

The food is very good, but I also enjoy the food in the MDR.

The service is outstanding.

I think anyone interested in trying it should do so to decide if its worth it.  The free bottle of wine alone isn't worth it.  Try it on a night when you find the MDR menu less appealing.

We have decided, after thoroughly enjoying the steakhouse experience several times, to forego it in the future and dine in the MDR.

2 minutes ago, EllaDuChien said:

You are so right!  I never take the free bottle.  They also offer 50% off any bottle on the wine list.  That is usually what I choose.  You can get some pretty good wines at decent prices that way.

Yes, exactly! After our first time thats what we have done. Also, the first time they were good enough to offer the 50% even after we had cracked the free bottle and were no impressed 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, EllaDuChien said:

Indeed!  Go for the half-off of a wine you'd normally not want to pay for because it is just a little too expensive, make it special!

• Like 1

I've eaten in the Steakhouse on every cruise I've taken that has that option available.

I've never eaten in the Steakhouse on the 1st night though.  I tend to book towards the middle or end of the cruise, usually 8PM.  

While I had more than my share of cheap wine & rotgut in the 60's & 70's, (think maddog, wild irish rose, gallo, boone's farm, mateus), that stuff hasn't appealed to me in the last 35 years.  

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

We have a tradition of eating in the steakhouse the first and last night of our cruises.  We don't drink wine, we just like the atmosphere.  We live in a small town and there are no restaurants other than fast food, so we feel the treat is worth it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mediterranean_Honeymooner said:

I got the email about the free bottle of wine if you eat at the steakhouse on embarkation day, so I went ahead and booked.  But now I’m second guessing the decision.  I’ve always enjoyed the food in the MDR so I don’t know if it’s really worth the extra cash versus putting that money towards something else. Also, I don’t know if will make us feel rushed that first day and keep us from enjoying sail away, etc.  

Any advice?

Well, it could have been an off night the one time we went, but we didn't think it was worth it and we will be saving our money for other things on future cruises.

If you want to give it a go, don't feel like you have to try and go on a certain night just so you can get a free bottle of cheap wine. I personally wouldn't want to do specialty dining on the first night, we prefer to have a more casual dinner that night.

Our next cruise is on the Ecstasy which doesn't have a steakhouse. Our tradition is to eat in the steakhouse on the first night because it kicks off our cruise with something very special. I don't mind the free wine (hooch is hooch LOL) and the first night in the MDR is often a bit chaotic. We're always seated by a window and so can watch as we're leaving port or heading out. We're cheapskates but the BDF wanted to try it so we did and were hooked. The upcharge is worth it!

I actually had second and third thoughts about the Ecstasy because it doesn't have a lot of the things we really like on it (steakhouse, serenity pool, dive in movies), but it is going where we want to go when we want to go and leaving from a port we can manage. So I'm trying to keep an open mind. I will miss our first night dinner though.

We requested reservations for the steakhouse on the first night, received an email reply that our requested time was not available, but a later time was. I replied back that we would take the later time, but did not receive a confirmation. Does anyone know if the reservation will show up somewhere? How should I check? Should I email again? TIA

30 minutes ago, christa said:

We requested reservations for the steakhouse on the first night, received an email reply that our requested time was not available, but a later time was. I replied back that we would take the later time, but did not receive a confirmation. Does anyone know if the reservation will show up somewhere? How should I check? Should I email again? TIA

Everything is done via email.  It doesn't show up anywhere else.  It might take them a few days to get back to you - response times vary from under 24 hrs to a week or more, depending on how busy the manager (?) is and access to email while at sea.

You'll probably be fine, but if you don't hear in a week and a half, send them another email.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, elcuchio24 said:

I like doing it on the first night, nice way to settle in. BUT BUT BUT, do NOT book because of the free bottle of wine. I like nice wine, I like 2 buck chuck, I like about anything. That free bottle is NOT good. hahaha, be warned.

You can opt for half-price on a better bottle of wine

3 hours ago, osborn15 said:

Question, at the Steakhouse are you limited to the amount of food you can get?  Like in the MDR there may be starters that I want seconds of verses others.  So, in the Steakhouse can you get multiple Starters?

What I have read is that you can try multiple starters or deserts, but if you want more than one main it will cost extra.  (Those who have actually been can feel free to correct me.)

14 hours ago, osborn15 said:

Question, at the Steakhouse are you limited to the amount of food you can get?  Like in the MDR there may be starters that I want seconds of verses others.  So, in the Steakhouse can you get multiple Starters?

If you ask for a second appetizer, you will not get a second glance - easy peasy, no worries sir!  Probably get a worried look if you ask for third (per person).  But if you ask for a second main, you will have to pay an additional upcharge.

On 2/15/2019 at 12:08 PM, elcuchio24 said:

I quit drinking and smoking 20 years or so ago.i fell for the "free" wine.to me it was wine flavored water.my wife wouldn't touch it .I drank the whole bottle with no effects.we ate at the steak house twice the service is much better the first night.we don't bother anymore I can spend that money on my souvenirs.