Champagne / Wine at embarkation

English Tim

1 hour ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

And by “often” he means every port.

🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

That's all there is in a case. So, of course, replenishment is important.

• Haha 2

If you're in a suite there will be a welcoming bottle of bubbly ... I think concierge cabins may also get the bubbly these days, although it won't be the same quality as those in the top suites.  Of course, that's only ONE bottle!

Mura

According to the “ rules”  you can n carry on 3 bottles of wine aboardat embarkation. A recent post says you can bring any amount.( a case!)  We are going on back to back cruises on Marina Apr. 4 and 19 ( total 42 days) so I would really like to know what we can safely bring aboard,  Thanks.

16 minutes ago, stokesmw said:

According to the “ rules”  you can n carry on 3 bottles of wine aboardat embarkation. A recent post says you can bring any amount.( a case!)  We are going on back to back cruises on Marina Apr. 4 and 19 ( total 42 days) so I would really like to know what we can safely bring aboard,  Thanks.

Any amount that you are willing to schlep (within reason and common sense).

Just obey the rules and either consume it in your cabin or if you bring wine to a dining venue, pay $25 corkage.

Edited by Paulchili

Just now, stokesmw said:

Is that  2019?  it would be April 5th departure  then

if you want to bring  a case  that is OK

The "rules" changed technically you can bring 6 bottles

You could always  shop in NYC  if you do not have other plans

28 minutes ago, stokesmw said:

The three bottle "rule" is a "cover their behinds" clause inserted by the Cruise Line to prevent unencumbered dipsomania.

For the rest of us, imported alcohol is virtually uninspected or supervised so long as it is intended for in cabin consumption, or, submitted for corkage in the restaurants

1 hour ago, stokesmw said:

If you search CC for this topic you'll find that any regular O cruiser agrees that you can bring "whatever" and that the published bottle limit is merely a CYA statement.

19 minutes ago, stokesmw said:

Thanks for the input.  One other question-if we want to bring on bottles of wine in other ports along the way-say Bordeaux, will Oceania allow this?

If you reread this (and the zillion other) thread(s) on this topic, you'll learn that anything you can carry will be just fine.

1 hour ago, Mrs f. said:

Got off the Nautica today.  Brought 24 bottles of wine on board. Plus the welcome bottle of  champagne in our concierge suite

Hope that you sent them directly to the ship's' Cellar!

Can't think of where else you'd store them in a Concierge stateroom.  

7 hours ago, StanandJim said:

I'll have to take your work for it about the closets, we keep our pop up  hampers in there.

I hear you.  Once we did Hamper (well, laundry bag) on one side, wine box on the other lol.  Maybe I spent too much time backpacking as a child...

But usually we keep it to a single case of wine, in a wine suitcase, which serves as a wine drawer (stored open, and under the bed).

1 minute ago, Paulchili said:

Hope it doesn’t get too hot in your cabin. 🙂

Have to love the whole central HVAC concept lol. 

I do suspect that older, unfined and/or unfiltered reds don't show as well at sea vs. on land due to the movement of the ship keeping the particulates suspended instead of well-behaved at the base of a bottle.

15 minutes ago, babysteps said:

I do suspect that older, unfined and/or unfiltered reds don't show as well at sea vs. on land due to the movement of the ship keeping the particulates suspended instead of well-behaved at the base of a bottle

I bet those reds don’t like stormy seas 🙂

Some time ago the cellars of French Laundry were looted while the restaurant was closed for renovations. Hundreds of thousands of $$$ worth of their best wines were taken. When they were recovered some time later across the country they were essentially worthless due to the way they were handled and kept.

I don’t imagine your wines will suffer that catastrophe :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

We were on Nautica...Capetown to Singapore. Cabin 6093. We had bought our wine at the various wine farms we visited before the cruise. We had cardboard 3 bottle carriers. Reinforced bottoms with duck tape so nothing fell out. They were stored in the thin closet (next to the big one) that had the shelf and 4 drawers. Everything fit in. Champagne from Oceania was kept in fridge....brought the the Trivia  team dinner.  No corkage  charge since it was provided by Oceania. We were happy to pay the corkage on the other bottles.  They were wonderful.  One night the our sommelier  was eyeing our bottle of Camberley "Illusion" (a pinotage blend). My husband asked if he would like a taste. His response  was, "I was hoping you would ask".  Solo good.

On 2/21/2019 at 3:43 AM, Winters Gate said:

Does somebody know what champagne that is on the by the glas menu? It used to be Montaudon but on some drink menus at the Oceania website it says Germain, wich I dont like for at all!

IMO, Germaine (which is currently a by-the-glass offering on Sirena) is not so bad. The far better sparkling wine often available (though not as complimentary cabin perks) throughout the O Fleet is Shramsberg Mirabelle Brut.

BTW, for storage of personal wine in the cabin  (as well as for transport of wine at port locations), I continue to recommend foldable cardboard winery carriers (in varying sizes from 2-6 bottles). Lightweight and compact for transit in checked luggage, they do double duty as underbed wine rack storage and can be tossed at the end of the cruise (all the more reason to go wine tasting and pick up replacements).

IMG_1175.JPG

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1