PBP on a 28 day cruise? I don’t think so!

Grburkart

After study things for a 28 day cruise on the Diamond, I’ll opt out of the premium beverage package. To use it up I would have to have 15 drinks a day for 28 days. That’s hard core. Especially since I don’t drink a lot at home. To do a rough estimate using rough math, it’ll take 10 maybe 11 drinks to break even. I won’t be anywhere near that. I’m intrigued by the booze laden milkshakes however, but I’ll have to restrain myself. 

The PBP is over $2500.00 (cad) for the term. Too much!  Lol

Glenn

Edited by Grburkart
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

One thing I found through observation is the price of the cruise goes up according to the promotion. I took the sip and sail promotion when I booked my Mediterranean cruise and I found that weeks later the cruise was 2k cheaper. The PBP was 1900.00

Glenn

• Like 2

There was no change in cruise fare when we added the Sip-n-sail to our 28 dayer!  And that cruise was 2000 USD less than the one 5 months prior and the one 7 months later.  I think prices vary more based on other factors and not just the specific promo.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ferd Berfle said:

There was no change in cruise fare when we added the Sip-n-sail to our 28 dayer!  And that cruise was 2000 USD less than the one 5 months prior and the one 7 months later.  I think prices vary more based on other factors and not just the specific promo.

That could very well be. There’s so many factors to what they do. 

Glenn

to edit this, it’ll take a lot of booze to drink up $2500.00 worth. 

Edited by Grburkart

5 hours ago, Grburkart said:

After study things for a 28 day cruise on the Diamond, I’ll opt out of the premium beverage package. To use it up I would have to have 15 drinks a day for 28 days.

5 hours ago, Grburkart said:

That could very well be. There’s so many factors to what they do. 

Glenn

to edit this, it’ll take a lot of booze to drink up $2500.00 worth. 

That you need to have 15 drinks a day to 'use it up' or make it worthwhile is a common misconception. Do the math.  Find the breakeven point.  The beverage package includes alcoholic drinks under US$12, plus specialty coffees, mocktails, soda, and bottled water.  If you are only drinking alcoholic drinks the breakeven point is around 6 drinks a day.  Obviously the more non-alcoholic drinks you add, the fewer alcoholic drinks needed to reach the breakeven point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For newbies to Princess who would like the drink package -- it has been offered as a promo for cruises during at least the past 4 summers.  We've gotten it for 31 day (LA to Rio), 25 day (Rome to FLL) and an upcoming 14 day (Norway) cruises by booking during the July - August promo period more than a year in advance.  In our cases the fares only went up after the promo ended (and should you find a lower fare you can always re-fare before final payment). 

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

That you need to have 15 drinks a day to 'use it up' or make it worthwhile is a common misconception. Do the math.  Find the breakeven point.  The beverage package includes alcoholic drinks under US$12, plus specialty coffees, mocktails, soda, and bottled water.  If you are only drinking alcoholic drinks the breakeven point is around 6 drinks a day.  Obviously the more non-alcoholic drinks you add, the fewer alcoholic drinks needed to reach the breakeven point.

Do the math? Let’s see here...

That’s 6 drinks a day based on $12.00 drinks when the base price for a normal “rum and coke” is around $7.50. (If I remember correctly from seeing a drink menu). 

Not sure what the exchange rate is but it’s $90.00/day (cad) . Actually I just looked it up. It’s $68.00 usd. It would be hard to get the value on port days. Sea days on the other hand may tell a different story. On this particular cruise, there are 10 sea days. 

Glenn

I think you have to look at your consumption and the number of port days.   My assumption is that you're getting off the ship on port days and therefore drinking fewer "paid for" drinks.  

I usually get the soda package, unless it's a port intensive cruise because I can down 4+ of their small portions of club soda in a morning.   Then again, the soda pack is significantly cheaper than the premium pack.   I'm definitely going to try out the mocktails and I may end up drinking some hot chocolate since I'm going to Alaska.

7 hours ago, Grburkart said:

One thing I found through observation is the price of the cruise goes up according to the promotion. I took the sip and sail promotion when I booked my Mediterranean cruise and I found that weeks later the cruise was 2k cheaper. The PBP was 1900.00

Glenn

Nothing is free.  :classic_blink:

32 minutes ago, pamwigs said:

When on a long cruise its a bigger expense because of so many days with gratuities and port 

tax. The liquor package is crazy expensive.

I’m not a big drinker but I do enjoy a good pub or bar. I love to sit around and tell stories and, yes, engage in the wobbly spirits. To do that for 28 straight days would be hard core and I would probably have to spend a month in rehab. 

The other side of it is to ask myself if I would spend $70.00/day on beverages. Maybe if I count the coffee and juices, etc.. Port days would minimize that scenario. I’ll have time to consider the PBP but it sure is a heavy cash layout. 

On a side note, I am envious of you living in Anchorage. My favourite city that I frequent often. I have never cruised there and I really, really enjoy Homer. 

Glenn

I think, the other thing to remember is what the package it does not include.....

Particularly for two people...     no bottled wine.... room service......  etc

We have once thought about it.... but on our last four cruises with princess... having wine with lunch.... per dinner drinks... wine over dinner... and sometimes after dinner drinks....

We have never come close to the package cost for two of us....

So pay as you go... and check your account every three of four day and look how much money you have saved.....

Cheers Don   8 sleeps to go before next cruise

Works for us because it includes ALL drinks (diet Cokes, coffee, etc.) not just alcoholic drinks.  

Yes, expensive but would you enjoy your cruise without having what you want to drink when you want it?

We just factor it into the cost of our cruise.  :classic_wink:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Works for us because it includes ALL drinks (diet Cokes, coffee, etc.) not just alcoholic drinks.  

Yes, expensive but would you enjoy your cruise without having what you want to drink when you want it?

We just factor it into the cost of our cruise.  :classic_wink:

That’s a good point. One less thing to worry about. 

Glenn

• Like 1

28 days on the PBP would be a tough slog, even for a “frugal” Scotsman who is more than capable of getting his money’s worth. 😉 I’ve had the beverage package on my last 6 cruises (3 sip and sails and 3 paid for on boards) with 2 of the sip and sails and 1 of the purchased being 14/15 day cruises. I did feel that I needed a break from alcohol after those cruises. I can’t imagine drinking at that volume for 4 straight weeks. 

The 15 day was a LA-HI circle over Christmas and New Year before the 15 drink limit was introduced and I’m sure that I would have run out of drinks before midnight on NYE, so thankfully I wasn’t cut off! 😉 and went through till about 3AM. 

I find that I don’t feel the need to drink as much on the cruises where I’ve gotten the S+S vs. when I purchased even though I know deep inside that the S+S fare really has the package built into the price. That said, either way, I don’t quit till I think I’ve gotten my money’s worth. With S+S that might be around 8 drinks and about 11 on an onboard purchase. 

Either way, it’s nice to know that there are no nasty surprises with the cabin bill at the end of the cruise.

• Like 1

Forgive me for this but all the talk about bars and drinking and stuff is prompting me to tell this story...

A set of booster cables walk into a bar. The bartender says “I’ll serve you but don’t start anything”. 

Never mind me. Just had to do it. 

Glenn

• Like 1
  • Haha 2