Left Behind in Nassau on the Symphony of the Seas!

On 2/18/2019 at 11:20 PM, tutzig said:

Actually..

if you can get past customs at the foreign airport and get on the plane, a US citizen will not be refused entry. You will go through enhanced screening, but make it.

i know this from personal experience.

1)  The airlines will typically not give you a boarding pass without the passport or contact by the proper agency.  If they fly you to another country, and you are not allowed in, they are responsible to fly you out, but then, where can you go?

2)  You seldom go through CUSTOMS when exiting a country.  IMMIGRATION checks you passport and documents.  CUSTOMS checks your luggage for prohibited items.

I understand that are reasons one might be back late.  And someone who comes running, because they got hung up, I feel for.

But the ones who are late, and just saunter up, like there is all the time in the world, deserve to be left.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SRF said:

I understand that are reasons one might be back late.  And someone who comes running, because they got hung up, I feel for.

But the ones who are late, and just saunter up, like there is all the time in the world, deserve to be left.

I agree to a point in 30 cruises have never been late tour operators know to get you back in plenty of time or they would be out of business. I never take a late tour. Has worked for me ! Because no way in holy hell could I run..lol

Edited by Reader0108598

13 hours ago, SRF said:

1)  The airlines will typically not give you a boarding pass without the passport or contact by the proper agency.  If they fly you to another country, and you are not allowed in, they are responsible to fly you out, but then, where can you go?

2)  You seldom go through CUSTOMS when exiting a country.  IMMIGRATION checks you passport and documents.  CUSTOMS checks your luggage for prohibited items.

Well, I spoke with Customs in NY and Charlotte to assist my clients..

As I said, they were able to get onto the plane at SXM for the flight home.

i continue to advise my clients the importance of Passports even if on a cruise.

On 2/19/2019 at 4:54 PM, Desert Cruizers said:

We did have one situation where the husband had injured his foot and went to the hospital for a cast. The Capt announced we would be 30 minutes late to wait for he and his wife. We saw the wife racing for the ship and her husband in a wheel chair being run to the ramp. He grabbed his crutches and hobbled on board to cheers from everyone.

and I would guess thaose passengers were smart enough to call either the local port agent or the 800 number on the key card adn let the line know what was going on as soon as they encountered a delay.  It makes sense that the captain MIGHT wait for someone when s/he knows that the delay is out of the passengers' control, and likely to be over soon.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

Are there any time changes in the Caribbean or on this stop?

I forget where I was but my phone was not on "ship time" my analog watch was.

That really brings up an important point...

...so many people rely on their phones for time these days (instead of conventional watches), that the margin for error can grow significantly if the phone isn't turned on, updated to local time, or set for changing to meet ship time when applicable.

A conventional watch (set properly) let's you make sure you have the right time available always.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 7:09 AM, Reader0108598 said:

I agree to a point in 30 cruises have never been late tour operators know to get you back in plenty of time or they would be out of business. I never take a late tour. Has worked for me ! Because no way in holy hell could I run..lol

Yea, but you could take the compass with the port information with you and call if your running late and can say when you will be there. 

2 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

Always take the compass with me but doubt they would hold the ship because I cannot manage my time.

You can doubt all you want, but I've heard many Captains say, if your running late, call and let us know.  They will delay as much as possible when they know the situation ,but if you don't call they will definitely not stay much beyond scheduled departure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

Always take the compass with me but doubt they would hold the ship because I cannot manage my time.

Gee need to listen better never heard the captain say  they would wait  in 30 cruises I have been on.

Edited by Reader0108598

2 hours ago, BillOh said:

You can doubt all you want, but I've heard many Captains say, if your running late, call and let us know.  They will delay as much as possible when they know the situation ,but if you don't call they will definitely not stay much beyond scheduled departure.

And if you call, don't tell them you are running late because you just want to have another drink or two at the bar. 😄

• Like 1

I think calling becuase you have to get a cast on and that might make you late, or you witnessed an accident and the police are insisting you stay to give a statement and that might make you late, or your taxi broke down and one is on the way to get you but now you're cutting it close to make it back on time having to wait for the new taxi to come rescue you, etc is not "can't maange my time" and might (depending on if tides, or making it to the next port, etc are major issues) get you a bit of grace from the captain.

It should never be expected---but even if the captian does not wait, it is much nicer to all for them to know what is going on and if you are going to be back or not.  

Heck, I'd want to call even just to tell them where our passports are and ask them to get them to the pier for us if they couldn't wait.

(and, no, we have never been late.  I insist on being walking distance to the ship at least an hour before all aboard time, and the only two times we have gone somewhere that I could not easily get a "plan B" such as hailing another taxi or taking a train if my plan A transit broke down, we used cruiseline  excursions as "insurance"--but I am aware that something truly beyond my control and all the plannig in the world, could still happen---so I have plan Bs in my head about what to do if it does---which amounts to calling the line as soon as possible to advise them of the situation).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SRF said:

And if you call, don't tell them you are running late because you just want to have another drink or two at the bar. 😄

Lol!!!  We have been known to stop at a bar on the way back to the ship but always very close!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 2

On 2/17/2019 at 10:25 PM, ONECRUISER said:

It's very rare but even Ship sponsored tours have missed the Ship, though can't remember reasons. 

Several years ago the coast guard required a ship to leave San Juan before the listed departure time. Many people were on tours and were unaware of this. Bad weather came up unexpectedly and if the ship didn't get out, it probably would not have made it.

I don't remember the line,  nor the ship. 

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

On 2/17/2019 at 5:12 PM, Merion_Mom said:

I was on that cruise!  (but not on your excursion).  The entire dining room gave you a standing ovation when you got back!  😉  😄

I remember that. We did not have MTD and who ever greeted us at the door would not let us in the MDR, even though our waiter said we could come in any time (he was FABULOUS!) 

It was a great tour and I would highly recommend it!

29 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Several years ago the coast guard required a ship to leave San Juan before the listed departure time. Many people were on tours and were unaware of this. Bad weather came up unexpectedly and if the ship didn't get out, it probably would not have made it.

I don't remember the line,  nor the ship. 

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I recall hearing about that---I think it might have been two ships and different lines.  I recall thinking that would be the worst feeling, expecially if your kids were onboard without you.

We once had the ship move away from the dock temporarily to ride out a storm burst---in Kusadasi, Turkey.  Our kids WERE on board (preteen and teen) and we were headed back and walking towards the pier and suddenly the ship was sailing out (several hours ahead of schedule)----the few minutes between seeing that and speaking to a securtiy worker who explained that they were just going to sit out in the water until the storm passed, were very stress inducing (the Princess ship docked next to us chose to remain docked---broke their gangway and caused some minor damage to the pier).