Opinion of the Edge poll New to Celebrity and those loyal to Celebrity   

162 members have voted

1. 1. Which best fits your opinion of the Edge

• New to Celebrity and liked the Edge
    • New to Celebrity and was not impressed with the Edge
    • Long time Celebrity cruiser and liked the Edge
    • Long time Celebrity cruiser and was not impressed with the Edge

13 minutes ago, villauk said:

And that’s why I think the poll doesn’t actually show us the perspective from those in different cabin categories. You are a new X cruiser and the current results basically cancel each other out for those liking or not liking the Edge for new cruisers. However, for all we know, all those that have stated they are long time X cruisers and loved the experience, may have all been staying in suites. Nowhere does it differentiate between actual cabins occupied.

We know there are a few pax, even Hosts here on CC, who boarded and upgraded to a suite straight away after viewing their IVs. I still believe you would have a totally different experience when sailing on the same ship but in a different category i.e. same aeroplane but totally different experience in first class than coach (and before anyone states it, I’m not bashing those paying for the suite experience, I’m highlighting the fact that cruising in a suite on Edge will be a totally different experience from an IV).

The Apex we are doing an oceanview, just didn't want to pay the price of a Iv even though I am curious. We will also have our 23 year old kid with, so will be interesting to see how 3 adults fit in an oceanview.

On the Edge we could have upgraded to an aqua class room for 1000 PP, but they made the mistake of letting us look at our inside room first, which was fantastic, so it was an easy no to the upgrade.

25 minutes ago, villauk said:

And that’s why I think the poll doesn’t actually show us the perspective from those in different cabin categories. You are a new X cruiser and the current results basically cancel each other out for those liking or not liking the Edge for new cruisers. However, for all we know, all those that have stated they are long time X cruisers and loved the experience, may have all been staying in suites. Nowhere does it differentiate between actual cabins occupied.

We know there are a few pax, even Hosts here on CC, who boarded and upgraded to a suite straight away after viewing their IVs. I still believe you would have a totally different experience when sailing on the same ship but in a different category i.e. same aeroplane but totally different experience in first class than coach (and before anyone states it, I’m not bashing those paying for the suite experience, I’m highlighting the fact that cruising in a suite on Edge will be a totally different experience from an IV).

I’ve been in both an IV and aft S1.  We used the IV area more in 2 days than the suite  veranda in a week.  Both cruises had some iffy weather, the suite veranda at times was unusable, never the case with the IV.

3 minutes ago, cruise47 said:

When you add the numbers:  new to Celebrity and like The Edge and longtime Celebrity cruiser that Liked The Edge the gap is not all that bad. IMO.

I was thinking the same.  Based on what Villauk suggested, I'm going to start a new poll for suite and non-suite guests.  My prediction is that the numbers will invert.

2 hours ago, Oville said:

I’ve been in both an IV and aft S1.  We used the IV area more in 2 days than the suite  veranda in a week.  Both cruises had some iffy weather, the suite veranda at times was unusable, never the case with the IV.

The IV may be more popular on the transpacific, and in other stormy or cold environments.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I was thinking the same.  Based on what Villauk suggested, I'm going to start a new poll for suite and non-suite guests.  My prediction is that the numbers will invert.

The IV may be more popular on the transpacific, and in other stormy or cold environments.

I think there is still the option for starting a poll where people who voted are identified (screen name) so that people who haven't sailed on the Edge are less likely to vote (would make for a more believable poll). 🙂

5 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I think there is still the option for starting a poll where people who voted are identified (screen name) so that people who haven't sailed on the Edge are less likely to vote (would make for a more believable poll). 🙂

Good Thinking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Yeh I think it was pretty honest initially and then I think the haters got too it;) Initially it was way closer than I expected. After sailing on her I am surprised that it is such a polarizing ship. I guess though seeing all the negative comments on the build thread, Revolution thread, and the kids sail free thread I am no longer surprised. 

The kids sail free thread brought out the snark and attitude in me lol. It just seems that whether some want to admit it or not on here, they have their idea what Celebrity should be and don’t want to see it change. VT you and others are awesome and open to the changes:) Being new to Celebrity we are excited to see where the E Class and the Revolution leads to. I am even building up the thick skin and snark needed to survive on CC;)

12 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Yeh I think it was pretty honest initially and then I think the haters got too it;) Initially it was way closer than I expected. After sailing on her I am surprised that it is such a polarizing ship. I guess though seeing all the negative comments on the build thread, Revolution thread, and the kids sail free thread I am no longer surprised. 

The kids sail free thread brought out the snark and attitude in me lol. It just seems that whether some want to admit it or not on here, they have their idea what Celebrity should be and don’t want to see it change. VT you and others are awesome and open to the changes:) Being new to Celebrity we are excited to see where the E Class and the Revolution leads to. I am even building up the thick skin and snark needed to survive on CC;)

You know what you like and your review was great - it was very helpful to people. Some like to stir the pot and sometimes it's best to let them keep stirring while we get on with the fun of sharing cruise info! 😉

• Like 2

We are coming up to the point where there is so much information, reviews, opinions and pictures of the Edge and the IV cabins that at least the participants on Cruise Critic are well informed and can make choices.  And Edge has been sailing since early December so most have had a chance to assess all of the info and be happy or cancel and move on.  I'm not sure what another poll will provide.  More fodder for the haters and more candy for the happy campers.  Personally I sailed on Edge and I would sail on her again if the price comes down and in particular if she moves away from the routine Caribbean itineraries.  That is just my take on it.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

We are coming up to the point where there is so much information, reviews, opinions and pictures of the Edge and the IV cabins that at least the participants on Cruise Critic are well informed and can make choices.  And Edge has been sailing since early December so most have had a chance to assess all of the info and be happy or cancel and move on.  I'm not sure what another poll will provide.  More fodder for the haters and more candy for the happy campers.  Personally I sailed on Edge and I would sail on her again if the price comes down and in particular if she moves away from the routine Caribbean itineraries.  That is just my take on it.  

Being new to this board, there just seems to be an anti celebrity attitude now from people that seem to be loyal Celebrity cruisers. From Captain Kate and Bug Naked, I am guilt of following both on social media, the CEO, the Edge class, kids on celebrity, and the revolution. Not sure if this is the way of CC or if this is just recent because of all the changes. Also the poll I did really didn't show accurate results because I didn't choose to allow the names to show up, so anyone could and probably did vote leading to an inaccurate poll.

We are happy enough to try the Apex, and will see after that if we try another class of Celebrity ships, the post revolution looks nice to me so we will see. The attitudes is a bit of a downer, but as long as we aren't on a ship full of grumpy cruisers we will be happy:)

9 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Personally I would never cancel a cruise based on the CC comments. The Edge  a different ship and was neat to see the many new things that have been implemented and I assume Celebrity will make adjustments on newer ships based on feedback where needed. And the dry dock work should be perhaps taking many of the best things of the Edge and so perhaps ending with the best of both worlds? As noted earlier by a poster a lot is based on personal choice and preferences. Was a little concerned about the IV rooms based on comments before leaving but found the rooms to be well laid out, the decor quite pleasant, the bathroom/shower quite functional and roomy and used the balcony area every day and quite enjoyed. Would stay again in the IV.

10 minutes ago, lauder said:

Personally I would never cancel a cruise based on the CC comments. The Edge  a different ship and was neat to see the many new things that have been implemented and I assume Celebrity will make adjustments on newer ships based on feedback where needed. And the dry dock work should be perhaps taking many of the best things of the Edge and so perhaps ending with the best of both worlds? As noted earlier by a poster a lot is based on personal choice and preferences. Was a little concerned about the IV rooms based on comments before leaving but found the rooms to be well laid out, the decor quite pleasant, the bathroom/shower quite functional and roomy and used the balcony area every day and quite enjoyed. Would stay again in the IV.

Neither would we, but when you are new to a line and trying to do research it is tough to do so right now, we really like to research a ship and cruise line before we sail them. Apparently our timing is off;)

Anyways with the Edge as soon as I saw the first rendering I told my wife that we are sailing on that ship no matter what and we booked pretty much as soon as the booking window opened. Apparently the Edge made a strong initial impression on me:)

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I'm not sure what another poll will provide.  More fodder for the haters and more candy for the happy campers.  

More accurate polling without dishonest votes, and isolating by cabin type.  There has been speculation that IV cabins are dragging the numbers down, and by contrast, that suite guests have it made.  So far all categories are leaning positive. 

On 3/21/2019 at 9:51 AM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

More accurate polling without dishonest votes, and isolating by cabin type.  There has been speculation that IV cabins are dragging the numbers down, and by contrast, that suite guests have it made.  So far all categories are leaning positive. 

You are correct but that is exactly the issue.  Polling is complicated and there is a lot of work that goes into it to make it an accurate reflection of the question asked.  I know here on CC it is very simple polling so I really don't count on the results being very meaningful.

14 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

You are correct but that is exactly the issue.  Polling is complicated and there is a lot of work that goes into it to make it an accurate reflection of the question asked.  I know here on CC it is very simple polling so I really don't count on the results being very meaningful.

Several people have already lied, both positively and negatively, who've never been on Edge.  Go figure.

23 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Several people have already lied, both positively and negatively, who've never been on Edge.  Go figure.

Unfortunately typical of the best intentioned polls here on CC.