Bonine on ship?not sold in Canada

horatio123

Have been told meds provided if needed on ship.  Is it the  Bonine that is 24 hour effective? 

Second question...for me, it would be preventative as I am not sure I need it.  So, if taken it would not do anything  unless it needed to?

Reason being, it is an antiemetic like the relief bands which I tried here at home as suggested...the impulses ended up making me nauseated and screwing with my head for 48 hours. Was returned.

How how do either antiemetic..Bonine or Relief Band work differently?

Yep, still a little nervous about cruising this weekend but getting better.

I am in Canada too - you are correct, we can't get Bonine here but I usually stop somewhere and pick it up right before the cruise/trip.  I have found it at WalMart, any drug store or even corner store (7-11) on my way to port.  I am allergic to alot of medication but can tolerate the Bonine, have taken it every day of both cruises in the last year and found I had little to no sea-sickness and no side effects (or at least I didn't notice any?!).  Even though I felt "fine", I kept taking it....all was good!  My daughter stopped taking it because "she didn't need it" and the sea sickness came back with a vengeance.  

For me the patches weren't great (but many many people use them!).  They caused terrible dry mouth, dizziness and headache....I was better literally minutes after removing them but had slight sea sickness later in the trip, that is when I learnt about Bonine!  Take this for what it's worth as again that is only 1 person, the patches are effective for others.  

:)

• Like 1

Horatio123, is this your first cruise? You're going to worry yourself sick, when in fact, you may never experience sea sickness.

Dramamine and Benadryl  work for motion sickness, although they can make you drowsy. Ginger capsules and ginger chews also help. Try spending time on the open deck watching the horizon to acclimate you to the motion of the ship. I have never tried the wrist bands. Green apples are supposed to help with motion sickness. BTW, as an American with a well stocked first aid kit, I would be happy to share my Bonine with a fellow passenger in need. 

Have a wonderful cruise.

Do you have anything like this in Canada?

Screenshot 2019-02-18 at 10.11.30 PM.png

Edited by Marelaine

We use the generic form of Bonine.  It is called meclizine.  We buy it at Wal-Mart, over the counter(non-prescription).  It comes in a 100 tablet bottle and we each use one -half of a tablet each day before bed.  If the seas are rough when we get up in the morning I will take another half of a tablet with breakfast.  If you take too much, it will make you drowsy but then there is nothing wrong with a little nap!

The active ingredient for Bonine is Meclizine.

You can buy Rugby brand 100 caplets of 25 mg chewable or non chewable at Topps or Wegmans for around 6-8.00 per bottle.

My daughter and i have used it on many cruises and theme parks and it works like a charm with no drowsiness or other side effects...and we can drink with it too.

It doesn't require a prescription but you have to ask for it since it's behind the counter.

Yes, it is our first time and I have no idea how I will be.  so preventatively, plan to take a Bonine every night.  Trying to figure out how to purchase in Miami as we will not have a car.  Maybe the uber driver will stop for us.

As a personal service announcement though 🙂 the antiemetic band I bought..and returned...online really threw me for a loop so if anyone decides to go that way do your research.

1 minute ago, horatio123 said:

Yes, it is our first time and I have no idea how I will be.  so preventatively, plan to take a Bonine every night.  Trying to figure out how to purchase in Miami as we will not have a car.  Maybe the uber driver will stop for us.

As a personal service announcement though 🙂 the antiemetic band I bought..and returned...online really threw me for a loop so if anyone decides to go that way do your research.

Your Uber driver should be able to stop off at the nearest drug store on the way to the hotel. Or perhaps there will be a drugstore near the hotel. You should have no problem finding either the brand name Bonine or the store's generic brand if meclizine. If in doubt, ask the pharmacist.

I've had a problem with motion sickness since childhood so taking a preventive med made absolute sense for me. I developed very bad side effects from the scopolomine patch, and Gravol/Dramamine makes me very sleepy. But in the 10+ years that I've been using Bonine for travel I've experienced no side effects. I take one every night at bedtime, starting  the night before embarcation. 

But since you haven't any idea if you'll even be bothered by seasickness, I see no reason to medicate yourself for no reason. By all means bring some with you. But wait until you think you need it before taking it. Just don't wait too long - if you're heaving over a railing, you've waited too long.

• Like 1

Bonine comes in varying dosages BTW. If you are uncertain about a reaction you might try a 4 hr vs a longer dosage.

It really works best if you follow the directions on the package and start hours before sailing. It works for air travel too.

It has the most minimal side effects and sure beats the scopolamine side effects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, horatio123 said:

You can order it off of Amazon for about $6.50/bottle of 100.  It is a chewable tablet like the old St. Joseph aspirin for kids.  It has been an absolute game changer for us, and our family takes one in the morning and one at night.  Minimal to no side effects, and I have had no problems with seasickness at all. I would recommend that you start taking it a couple of days before your cruise starts, just to get acclimated to it.  

Bonine is easily available in the U.S. and you could also pick it up at and of the news and candy shops at the airport.   They also sell them in the apothecary  section found in the duty free shop.   You can also get them at guest relations desk.

As a motion sickness sufferer since childhood I only wish Bonine/meclizine was available back then. It is wonderful 🙂

Another version is "Dramamine II Less Drowsy", it's also meclizine, read the small print on the label.

13 hours ago, docsdrillers said:

The active ingredient for Bonine is Meclizine.

You can buy Rugby brand 100 caplets of 25 mg chewable or non chewable at Topps or Wegmans for around 6-8.00 per bottle.

My daughter and i have used it on many cruises and theme parks and it works like a charm with no drowsiness or other side effects...and we can drink with it too.

It doesn't require a prescription but you have to ask for it since it's behind the counter.

13 hours ago, horatio123 said:

The generic form of Bonnie, Meclizine, is given free on Celebrity.  Ask at guest relations.  You will get several packs with 2 pills each.

18 hours ago, horatio123 said:

Have been told meds provided if needed on ship.  Is it the  Bonine that is 24 hour effective? 

Second question...for me, it would be preventative as I am not sure I need it.  So, if taken it would not do anything  unless it needed to?

Reason being, it is an antiemetic like the relief bands which I tried here at home as suggested...the impulses ended up making me nauseated and screwing with my head for 48 hours. Was returned.

How how do either antiemetic..Bonine or Relief Band work differently?

Yep, still a little nervous about cruising this weekend but getting better.

The generic version of Bonine (meclizine) is available at Guest Relations on board, but I prefer chewable Bonine. I am susceptible to motion sickness under some conditions, so I always board vessels with my own supply of chewable Bonine. I too had a negative reaction to sea bands, and ginger candies & gum made me queasy. Dramamine is too strong for me, and I would only risk the potential side effects of scopolamine if absolutely necessary. My strategy is to take a Bonine an hour before sail away for the first two or three days, after which I only take it if the seas become choppy. This works for me because my body seems to acclimate to mild sea motion, but your experience may be different.  I also take Bonine an hour before boarding a tender if the seas are choppy. Be aware that Bonine will be less likely to cause drowsiness than Dramamine, but it can still cause drowsiness, especially when combined with alcohol. As someone else said, you may have no trouble at all. Unlike me, my DH has never had motion sickness on a ship, and has only once had motion sickness on a small fishing vessel. BTW watching the horizon and getting fresh air helps me when I’m feeling a bit dodgy. If you can get to a drug store (such as CVS or Walgreens) or a box store (Walmart or Target) before boarding the ship, you’ll spend quite a bit less than you would at the airport shops. If you’re arriving in Miami a day early, you may have a drug store or large grocery store within walking distance. Best of luck to you. Bon voyage!

Edited by Silkroad

By the way they come in a lower dose of 15mg in case you want to see how it affects you.

My daughter and i take 2 x 25mg each per day with no drowsiness or other side effects and she drinks way more than i do:).

Coming out of Grand Cayman  this past December we hit a bad storm that rocked us badly most of the night and early morning.

I doubled my usual dose and took 2 more 25mg and i was fine.

Okay...from all this information I assume that, even though I don't know if I would get sea sick, to be less nervous I could take a chewable Bonine and it would work if it had to?  I would take it before bedtime and it should last 24 hours.  If it does not affect me adversely I would repeat every night It would just replace my sleeping pill 🙂 

Do they tell you if the seas will be rough?

It is a drug, it doesn’t kick in “if it has to” - your body processes it when you take it regardless of sea conditions or sea sickness. Just like if you drink coffee, the caffeine doesn’t kick in only if you need a boost, it is just there.

Bonine (meclizine) effects different people differently, but overall many find it effective and do not experience significant adverse side effects (drowsiness seems to be the most common). If possible it is best to try it a day or two before your cruise to see if it has an adverse effect on you; many also find it is more effective when started the day before the cruise as well. Also it is always prudent to discuss taking it with your doctor if you are on other medications and/or have any health issues. 

If seas are going to be unusually rough they will make an announcement, but not typically for slightly rough seas (aside from during the daily general announcement the Captain makes - where they almost always mention the weather and sea conditions). 

Most people don’t become severely seasick and Celebrity ships tend to fare well in moderate seas, so I wouldn’t worry too much about this. Relax and enjoy your cruise.