Flights, transfers, etc

Werangels

Thank you all.  I have now booked the June Croatia intensive and have independently booked Palazzo Venezia for the 3 nights prior to the cruise.  If Pursuit moors at San Basilio, we are within 5 minutes walk to the terminal.  We have taken Azamara’s shared transfer back to the airport.  Our flight home isn’t until 4.30pm and I’m hoping we won’t be taken to the airport stupidly early.  

Lisa, I have joined the roll-call; not many have.

Very excited!

• Like 1

Late departures (paying to stay on board until after lunch) are not available in all ports and even in some where they might usually be available, a late departure from the ship will be a no go depending on circumstances at the time.

We have experienced leaving the night before after a relaxing day on board to catch a "stupid o'clock" flight, also a couple of late departures as well as "no go" situations for late departure.

2 hours ago, Werangels said:

Thank you all.  I have now booked the June Croatia intensive and have independently booked Palazzo Venezia for the 3 nights prior to the cruise.  If Pursuit moors at San Basilio, we are within 5 minutes walk to the terminal.  We have taken Azamara’s shared transfer back to the airport.  Our flight home isn’t until 4.30pm and I’m hoping we won’t be taken to the airport stupidly early.  

Lisa, I have joined the roll-call; not many have.

Very excited!

I missed the "June" portion of your conversation - we are on in September  😞

I am glad you have booked, it’s such a lovely itinerary. 

One piece of advice though, I would recheck about that transfer time vs your flight home.

In our experience the last Azamara provided transfer time is usually around 9 am. If late disembark is available (usually costs $35 each payment onboard) you have to arrange your own transfers. 

I’ve seen too many guests over the years be upset about timings and arrangements end of cruise when they find they have to disembark well before 9 to meet the last transfer and have nowhere to go for several hours. 

Personally for that flight (we’ve caught it before) I’d drop the included transfer, identify your own transfer provider but not book until onboard. Then you will know if you can get a late disembark, I recall we left about 1245 after an early lunch with that one.  Not every cruise can have a late disembark in some ports it’s never, yes Venice it can happen BUT only if the ship doesn’t need a deep clean. So I’d also have a plan B re disembark and stay in town storing luggage etc. 

1 hour ago, uktog said:

I am glad you have booked, it’s such a lovely itinerary. 

One piece of advice though, I would recheck about that transfer time vs your flight home.

In our experience the last Azamara provided transfer time is usually around 9 am. If late disembark is available (usually costs $35 each payment onboard) you have to arrange your own transfers. 

I’ve seen too many guests over the years be upset about timings and arrangements end of cruise when they find they have to disembark well before 9 to meet the last transfer and have nowhere to go for several hours. 

Personally for that flight (we’ve caught it before) I’d drop the included transfer, identify your own transfer provider but not book until onboard. Then you will know if you can get a late disembark, I recall we left about 1245 after an early lunch with that one.  Not every cruise can have a late disembark in some ports it’s never, yes Venice it can happen BUT only if the ship doesn’t need a deep clean. So I’d also have a plan B re disembark and stay in town storing luggage etc. 

I’d agree with this.  The latest time you’ll be off if you aren’t able to take advantage of late debark is 9.30am.  My recollection of doing a late debark in Venice was it was a bit of a pain.  I couldn’t stay on the ship like I usually do, I had to get off with my luggage, clear immigration there and then store my luggage (there is a luggage store at the San Basilio terminal) and go back on the ship.

Ask about late debark when you first join the ship if you want to do it.

Phil

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I’d agree with this.  The latest time you’ll be off if you aren’t able to take advantage of late debark is 9.30am.  My recollection of doing a late debark in Venice was it was a bit of a pain.  I couldn’t stay on the ship like I usually do, I had to get off with my luggage, clear immigration there and then store my luggage (there is a luggage store at the San Basilio terminal) and go back on the ship.

Ask about late debark when you first join the ship if you want to do it.

Phil

Thank you all for pointing me in the right direction.  I have cancelled the transfer and will do as you say; wait until we are on, etc.  Thank you so much.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Werangels said:

Hi

if we are able to get a late debark are you able to use the facilities ie, sunbathe by the pool?  If you order drinks, do you pay for them? Thanks.

If you get a late departure, you will have signed off your cruise and would then have Visitor status.

You would have left your stateroom by 0800, your checked bags would have been offloaded and you would have your carry-on with you.

We have had a couple of late departures and have been able to use public lounge areas, but have not had any desire to sunbathe before changing back into travel clothes prior to a long flight. That said, there are often people on back to back cruises sunbathing by the pool if the weather is conducive to that activity.

We have been able to get self-serve coffees during the morning and to enjoy lunch in Windows Cafe before leaving the ship for our late flight.

1 hour ago, Werangels said:

Hi

if we are able to get a late debark are you able to use the facilities ie, sunbathe by the pool?  If you order drinks, do you pay for them? Thanks.

In practice, no problem using the pool deck. Free drinks service is sparse until they get going for the next guests to arrive.  This is usually around 11.30am.  If you are around other public areas you will have to be mindful of drills that take place (auto closing of watertight doors for example).  If you just want to chill by the pool and if it’s nice, then get yourself something to eat at lunch and a drink and it’s a nice way to chill and kill time.  As baynanno says, you’ll still need to be out of your stateroom at 8am.  

Get yourself some buffet breakfast (served in Mosaic Cafe and most often in the Main Dining Room), head to the allocated lounge for late leavers and back to back guests at 9am and relax until they kick you off!

Phil