Symphony car

52 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Never could figure out why they even need a car on the promenade. 

M

Has something to do with Fain putting a car (might have been his) on the first Royal Promenade ship, Voyager.  I think that started the tradition.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Has something to do with Fain putting a car (might have been his) on the first Royal Promenade ship, Voyager.  I think that started the tradition.

The lead architect threw a Morgan Sportster in the mock up.  He just thought it looked good.  Unknown to the architect Fain was fond of Morgans.  Fain loved the idea so much he put his own Morgan, a gift from his 40th birthday on Voyager.  From that point on, a car on the Promenade was a fixture.

One benefit of Symphony's car is that it has a smaller footprint so it doesn't choke the Promenade as much.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, twangster said:

The lead architect threw a Morgan Sportster in the mock up.  He just thought it looked good.  Unknown to the architect Fain was fond of Morgans.  Fain loved the idea so much he put his own Morgan, a gift from his 40th birthday on Voyager.  From that point on, a car on the Promenade was a fixture.

One benefit of Symphony's car is that it has a smaller footprint so it doesn't choke the Promenade as much.  

Interesting, thanks for the detailed info.

Unfortunately the VW is not as good of a photo backdrop as the replica Morgans. We had our photo taken with the captain in front of the VW and the car looks too comical. Other than the car, I think the decor on Symphony is very elegant (notwithstanding the men's restroom artwork). The VW seems out of place though.

What I thought was strange is that Symphony uses the Morgan next to the elevator buttons for Deck 5, just like on the other ships. I would be interested in hearing the story behind why the VW was used this time.