Mandatory Service Charges

sidari

SC ... it clearly stated that "you may do so", meaning that I had a choice.  They've now rescinded that.  It's a "service" charge, which should only be payable at the discretion of the one receiving the service.  By making it mandatory, it is no longer what its name implies and should be henceforth known as "Compulsory contribution to crews' wages".

ETA ... Bytheway, I accept what you say that the little things don't matter.  In the great scheme of things, this is miniscule.  However, we cannot allow companies to ride roughshod over us, either.

Edited by Beamafar

I have to say guys this has pushed my button today to the point I'm self combusting.

Redundancy struck me three and a half weeks ago but this morning I found out the second interview and presentation down in Essex was a success and I'm back in the land of tax paying ....very quickly AMEN

But this has spoilt my day and I'll tell you now, as you won't like it, but I'll be one of the first guinea pigs of removal gratuities and out of spite.

We leave next month for a few days in Brazil before boarding on the 2nd April, so under this latest MSC charm offensive if a previous post in this thread is correct within stating 31/03/2019 as the starting point.

So I will report back in the later part of April exactly how things go down.

If it's not good my next nautical adventure will be as a U-Boat commander!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

SC ... it clearly stated that "you may do so", meaning that I had a choice.  They've now rescinded that.  It's a "service" charge, which should only be payable at the discretion of the one receiving the service.  By making it mandatory, it is no longer what its name implies and should be henceforth known as "Compulsory contribution to crews' wages".

Totally agree there. That would sure cause even more confusion that MSC causes. 

Just had a thought and could not help but Lol can you see what that would do to these boards WOW they would go Crazy 😜 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, citizenfrank said:

I have to say guys this has pushed my button today to the point I'm self combusting.

Redundancy struck me three and a half weeks ago but this morning I found out the second interview and presentation down in Essex was a success and I'm back in the land of tax paying ....very quickly AMEN

But this has spoilt my day and I'll tell you now, as you won't like it, but I'll be one of the first guinea pigs of removal gratuities and out of spite.

We leave next month for a few days in Brazil before boarding on the 2nd April, so under this latest MSC charm offensive if a previous post in this thread is correct within stating 31/03/2019 as the starting point.

So I will report back in the later part of April exactly how things go down.

If it's not good my next nautical adventure will be as a U-Boat commander!

Nice to see you have a life back Frank. You go and blow up MSC 😏

7 hours ago, Omega1 said:

That’s very odd, my contract states,

2.2 Full payment is required no later than 63 days prior to departure (93 days for cruises of 15 nights or more, 120 days for MSC World Cruise 2020).

How can an an additional mandatory charge be added if ‘full’ payment has been made?

Just don't pay the tips...nobody can force uou to do that....

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Scot born said:

How do you think MSC could let everyone know of these changes? 

They would only need to inform people with cruises booked.

It's not that hard, my credit card company have no issue telling me each time they change the T&C's

A simple "Important change to your booking" email.

4 minutes ago, korpo024 said:

Just don't pay the tips...nobody can force uou to do that....

Have you read this thread?  MSC are now saying they are mandatory.  This charge is added to your bill every day and you will not be permitted to disembark the ship until you have settled your bill.

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Have you read this thread?  MSC are now saying they are mandatory.  This charge is added to your bill every day and you will not be permitted to disembark the ship until you have settled your bill.

Not possible at existing cruises...you've allready payed...

2 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

They would only need to inform people with cruises booked.

It's not that hard, my credit card company have no issue telling me each time they change the T&C's

A simple "Important change to your booking" email.

Finance companies have their customers all on one data base and need to inform you of any changes to their T&Cs However MSC has not changed their T&Cs 

3 minutes ago, Scot born said:

Finance companies have their customers all on one data base and need to inform you of any changes to their T&Cs However MSC has not changed their T&Cs 

They have no issue sending out mass marketing emails to everyone, it's not rocket science.

Edited by ziggyuk

2 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

They have no issue sending out mass marketing emails to everyone, it's not rocket science.

Mass marketing email are to people that have been on previous cruises, people who have shown an interest in cruising not the actual people that have a cruise booked I for one opt out of their marketing emails so how would that inform me as I have a cruise booked???? Think of a multi billion dollar company that has billions of customers this is impossible. 

Mass marketing email are to people that have been on previous cruises, people who have shown an interest in cruising not the actual people that have a cruise booked I for one opt out of their marketing emails so how would that inform me as I have a cruise booked???? Think of a multi billion dollar company that has billions of customers this is impossible. 

Sorry but it is not rocket science to send an email to all customers with an existing booking.

2 hours ago, sidari said:

Bea ... I somehow do not see that happening do you ? they were sneaky enough to add it to the website without telling people, sneakily changed drink packages without telling anyone, as for the Xmas cruise that may be the final nail in the coffin.

So now I am printing their current website (USA and Holland) with the removal option. So I can show this to Guest Relations, and they will remove the gratuities. What MSC does is illegal, and on the continent we only tip for good service, NEVER mandatory.

I assume they have not got around to changing the websites in USA or Germany or other countries yet as their service cHrge wording is the same as U.K./Ireland was.

its not legal to put in a mandatory charge in UK no matter what T&Cs say but MSC are doing it and assume they will in all other countries as well.

interesting to see if Italian site changed yet.

1 minute ago, ziggyuk said:

Sorry but it is not rocket science to send an email to all customers with an existing booking.

What business are you in? MSC has not changed their T&Cs so why would the consider spending time going though all their bookings to inform customers that they have simply changed the way the pay their gratuitys They have not hidden the fact that this is now the policy i for one go onto their website daily to see what bargains I can get and it is there for everyone to see. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

I assume they have not got around to changing the websites in USA or Germany or other countries yet as their service cHrge wording is the same as U.K./Ireland was.

its not legal to put in a mandatory charge in UK no matter what T&Cs say but MSC are doing it and assume they will in all other countries as well.

interesting to see if Italian site changed yet.

Here's a screenshot of the relevant section on the  Italian site:

544585465_ScreenShot2019-02-21at16_14_49.png.92623b0d8e2e13e5f1d8f9a2a51f5fef.png

No mention of whether you can or can't remove the charges.

Edited by Beamafar

What business are you in? MSC has not changed their T&Cs so why would the consider spending time going though all their bookings to inform customers that they have simply changed the way the pay their gratuitys They have not hidden the fact that this is now the policy i for one go onto their website daily to see what bargains I can get and it is there for everyone to see. 

Are you really serious or just on a windup? 

It does not matter what business you are in, it's good customer relations to communicate changes that affect existing booking.

4 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Are you really serious or just on a windup? 

It does not matter what business you are in, it's good customer relations to communicate changes that affect existing booking.

Neither I am simply pointing out that these changes do not need to be communicated and would be almost impossible as MSC is changing a lot at the same time therefore customers would start to complain about the number of correspondence they were receiving 

As I posted previously, in my opinion this is not about the moral stance of to pay, or not to pay gratuities/tips/ service charge. It makes no difference to me as I leave the discretionary charge in place. I am more interested in the legal/regulatory position of MSC now implementing an additional mandatory charge after final payment, that wasn’t communicated at the time of booking, not included in t&c’s and appears to fall foul of the Package Travel and Linked Travel Regulations 2018.

I phoned ABTA earlier and asked for their take on it - the immediate response was that it seems contrary to the above regs. The person I spoke to was interested enough to ask me to file a complaint which they will investigate. I will oblige!

If MSC want to introduce a mandatory service charge they should include it in the up front overall price and not play fast and loose with UK and EU law.

For me such actions are the thin end of the wedge - what next? Additional mandatory charges for air con in your cabin, daily change of towels, etc.