Watches in shops on Symphony

ihopfar

Hi,

Considering buying myself a nicer watch on my upcoming Symphony cruise but want to do research beforehand to know what kind of deal I would be getting. 

Does anyone recall what brands the shops carry?  Citizen? Seiko?

Thanks!

Brad

I bought an Invicta watch on my last RCCL cruise. I then returned it within 30 minutes as I checked the price I paid vs. Amazon. It was over $50 less expensive from Amazon. RCCL would not match the price. I ordered it on line and it arrived by the time I returned home.

Tip is to not get caught up in the ship's hype. If you have internet make sure that you are really getting a "DEAL".

26 minutes ago, ihopfar said:

Any idea what % off MSRP they usually give off Citizen?

Thanks!

Brad 

Actually, because of the post above, I just checked Amazon for the one I am interested in and they have the best price I have seen.    MSRP is $275.  best price on shore was $204 before looking at Amazon.   Onboard ship it was $178.    Amazon has it for $99.   Be careful.

Keep in mind they will tell you on the ship that they will match any price you find it for on the islands. However, the shops are closed until you leave the island and if the "proof" you bring back is not acceptable to the ship's shop staff you don't have any recourse. You can't swim back to the island an buy it.

Almost any expensive item, in particular watches, can be found for less than on the ship.... in my eperience.

• Like 2

Thank you all!  A lot to think about!

As Bee Guy said, the prices on board do seem to be good prices.  The only place to consistently beat the ship seems to be Amazon.   I will definitely do my home work and know how much the watch I want is at my local stores AND on Amazon before my cruise.   I am a huge fan of Amazon, but not sure if I like the idea of purchasing a watch from them, with having to have it sized and all.  (Plus, I will have extra OBC that I need a plan to spend!)

Thanks!

Brad

4 minutes ago, ihopfar said:

As Bee Guy said, the prices on board do seem to be good prices.  The only place to consistently beat the ship seems to be Amazon.   I will definitely do my home work and know how much the watch I want is at my local stores AND on Amazon before my cruise.   I am a huge fan of Amazon, but not sure if I like the idea of purchasing a watch from them, with having to have it sized and all.  (Plus, I will have extra OBC that I need a plan to spend!)

Thanks!

Brad

Our local jeweler sizes watches for free.  Still would rather buy from Amazon than the ship.  I think I'd get more effective help from Amazon if something turned up wrong with the watch.

Plus, the ship is going to report all major purchases to US Customs.

15 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Keep in mind they will tell you on the ship that they will match any price you find it for on the islands. However, the shops are closed until you leave the island and if the "proof" you bring back is not acceptable to the ship's shop staff you don't have any recourse. You can't swim back to the island an buy it.

Almost any expensive item, in particular watches, can be found for less than on the ship.... in my eperience.

You are correct that you’ll always find a better deal on shore.    I try to buy in port but last cruise I picked up a Casio G-Shock on board.    Decent price.  Within a few bucks of land based prices.   

We we were fortunate two cruises ago to get price matching success on the ship.   I bought a Citizen eco-drive, Navy Blue Angel edition at a port stop in st. Kitts.    Paid a fair price, which was ~$200 lower than what they wanted on the ship.    My buddy saw the watch that evening and loved it.   He was a Navy pilot in his younger years.   He took me and my receipts to the ship watch store and after much mashing of teeth, they did match the price.   So he got fortunate.  

I buy buy a watch as a souvenir each cruise.   Never anything too expensive.   Usiaally buy in Port but I have twice bought on board, but nothing pricy. 

2 hours ago, ihopfar said:

Thanks!

Brad

It makes sense to spend OBC on something that you want rather than just trying to use it up (assuming it is not refundable).