In room coffee makers for hot water?

zitsky

Sorry for the newbie question.  Trying to decide whether to keep coffee maker or remove for more space.  I suppose you can make hot water if you don't insert a coffee pod?  The partner wants to know.

It might just be easier to order tea at dinner or I believe there is a 24/7 coffee and tea station?

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Sorry for the newbie question.  Trying to decide whether to keep coffee maker or remove for more space.  I suppose you can make hot water if you don't insert a coffee pod?  The partner wants to know.

It might just be easier to order tea at dinner or I believe there is a 24/7 coffee and tea station?

You can get tea pods as well !

Also, be aware that the pods are not "K-cups", so bringing them from home is not an option.  Had not seen the size on board before.  By my memory, they are squatty compared to a Keurig if that helps identify the type.

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

So to follow up on the original question, can we assume one can leave out a pod and just get hot water??? That way teabags, hot cocoa mixes can be picked up in the Cafe and used in the cabin?  We had a pod type machine for awhile and that is what we did as I drink coffee and DH drinks tea.  Just need to maybe do one rinse cycle after coffee and before hot water for tea.

Edited by Ready to Sail!

Does anyone have any info on how often the insides of coffee machines are cleaned by the Staff, i.e. room steward?  I know a while back there was a big flap here in the USA about they do get rather disgusting inside if they are not cleaned out regularly.  I usually have only one cup of coffee in the am so don't really plan on using room service.  I don't drink coffee at home...only on vacations.

on SKY I just got hot water 3 times until I figured out how to work the machine!!!!

trying to make dw a morning cup but FAILING ..... once I figured it out ..... we had the funky Paulig one .... I recall we had coffee, decaf and 'regular' tea.  I kinda wanted some green tea initially but since they were constantly refilling our sparkling water and we'd brought some tervis that allowed us to keep some of this in the 'mini fridge' I never asked .....

shuffling things around we managed to keep an ice bucket up on the same shelf (must have ice at all times)

36 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

on SKY I just got hot water 3 times until I figured out how to work the machine!!!!

trying to make dw a morning cup but FAILING ..... once I figured it out ..... we had the funky Paulig one .... I recall we had coffee, decaf and 'regular' tea.  I kinda wanted some green tea initially but since they were constantly refilling our sparkling water and we'd brought some tervis that allowed us to keep some of this in the 'mini fridge' I never asked .....

shuffling things around we managed to keep an ice bucket up on the same shelf (must have ice at all times)

If you figured it out, could you share what you did to make it work?

5 hours ago, ArizonaGal said:

Does anyone have any info on how often the insides of coffee machines are cleaned by the Staff, i.e. room steward?  I know a while back there was a big flap here in the USA about they do get rather disgusting inside if they are not cleaned out regularly.  I usually have only one cup of coffee in the am so don't really plan on using room service.  I don't drink coffee at home...only on vacations.

If you are only going to have one cup, then I suggest going for the best available on the ship--which is in my humble opinion the freshly made coffee from The Living Room Bar.

11 hours ago, zitsky said:

Tea, coffee and hot chocolate are free no matter where you get them --dining venue, room service, any bar--during service hours. Room service and the self-serve in the World Cafe are 24 hours. Living Room bar is open 18 hours a day.

• Like 1

I think you can get fancier teas at the bar on deck 1.  Also the World cafe has a coffee and tea making station available pretty much all the time.   Of course, there's room service. During the  afternoon tea in the Wintergarden they'll also satisfy nearly any kind of tea you ask for.  I agree tho, the Paulig coffee makers are unique. 

15 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

If you are only going to have one cup, then I suggest going for the best available on the ship--which is in my humble opinion the freshly made coffee from The Living Room Bar.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think Viking would appreciate me walking around the ship in my pj's to get coffee. :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, ArizonaGal said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think Viking would appreciate me walking around the ship in my pj's to get coffee. :classic_biggrin:

LOL. Don your Viking robe and slippers and sneak down the aft staircase to Deck 1 starboard. Boldly walk up to the bar, order your coffee (they have takeaway cups if you wish) and then retrace your steps back to your cabin. Or just call room service to deliver a cup of coffee.

On our Eastern Seaboard cruise last year there were two women that roamed the ship daily (morning, afternoon and evening) in their robes and slippers.  No telling, and I didn't want to know, if they had anything else on.

32 minutes ago, Frenchberet said:

Most nights I stopped at the World Café to get a cup of tea before retiring. Our steward must have noticed the empty cups and left a pot of steaming hot water for me. Very thoughtful. 

Wow, that's great service.