Trip Insurance reimburse CC points?

pseudoware

1 hour ago, pseudoware said:

Anyone know or have firsthand experience with this? Will trip insurance generally cover flights, hotel, etc "purchased" w/credit card points? If so, how is value determined? Thanks. 

I've had direct experience. Insurance reimbursed United fare incl. taxes and points redeposit fee (for points used to upgrade).

4 hours ago, pseudoware said:

Anyone know or have firsthand experience with this? Will trip insurance generally cover flights, hotel, etc "purchased" w/credit card points? If so, how is value determined? Thanks. 

We made a claim years ago. As I remember, you use the insurance company form and list "out of pocket" expenses supported by receipts. You would need paper work for your actual tickets that list actual cost. You would then have to fight the insurance based on the out of pocket clause. 

And remember that credit card "points' may operate quite differently than airline "miles".  It completely depends on the credit card company and the program that they administer.  Some are designed to negate travel charges on your account (meaning you buy the ticket and then have value removed from your outstanding balance), some are transferable points (they get moved to a FF account and then a ticket is issued) and others.  So much depends on the specific card program and how any kind of "refund" is handled.  A general question without program specifics gets you.....a general answer without specifics.

1 hour ago, pseudoware said:

Thanks for the replies. The card program in this case is Chase Ultimate Rewards. 

If you already have a particular travel insurance program in mind (with one particular charge card), then your easiest answer is to call *them* first.

IF they don't cover what you want (the re-banking fees), then you could look for something else.

But the re-banking fees are usually among the minor costs of cancelling a trip anyway.

ETA:  For more info about travel insurance, about awards or otherwise, try the travel insurance section of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

OK, I'm specifically interested in trip cancellation insurance covering the reason of 

- The hospitalization or death of a non-traveling family member

Can anyone offer recommendations based on cost and relatively pain-free claims processing and payout?  Thx again.

46 minutes ago, pseudoware said:

OK, I'm specifically interested in trip cancellation insurance covering the reason of 

- The hospitalization or death of a non-traveling family member

Can anyone offer recommendations based on cost and relatively pain-free claims processing and payout?  Thx again.

Ah, nvm.  Called my CC, everything's covered for this reason. 

Yeah, if the credit card provides adequate coverage (I have two different Citibank cards, which have significantly different levels of coverage) that's the easiest and best way -- assuming you have enough coverage for medical and evacuation from other sources.