Seaside Improvements

theEvilQueen2

I have read so many bad reviews of Seaside I'm thinking of cancelling. But many of the reviews are a year old and I'm wondering if some of the problems have been fixed. or at least improved.

First off (and for me this is a deal breaker) does the ship still smell of sewage? 

Have they improved and/or increased the selections on the buffets and are the lines a mile long? Can I find a seat to eat at? Are the lines at the bars long and do the bartenders know how to make basic cocktails? They have lots of bars, but I'm reading that most of them are closed most of the time. Will I ever see my room steward and can I expect the mini bar to be stocked every day (I have the Premium Plus) and will the ice bucket be filled?   The same 3 pizzas every day? I know they can't make a room bigger, increase storage space, but will the room at least be clean, cool, and not stink?  

Another deal breaker (and the reason I avoid Carnival) is there anything to do on sea days for fun that doesn't require an extra fee? I know they give announcements in 5 languages, but is it like a constant all day commercial, loud and blaring at you for the latest thing to spend money on?  I will really get annoyed with the constant upselling and add ons.

Believe it or not, I'm easy to please, don't need a butler and  I don't need the staff to be my best friend, just serve my food, make my drink, bring me a clean towel and I'm fine.  

I was really excited about trying this ship, but now I'm thinking it will be a disaster, that even the most basic things are sub-par.  Opinions please. Thank You. 

8 minutes ago, vigurl said:

I was worried about all of this since booking last April.  I will finally sail in a few weeks (this April).   I will come back and give you my two cents.

Thank you. We're on the May 4th sailing, so although it will be too late to cancel I would appreciate the feed back. 

We recently completed two weeks aboard. Jan 26/Feb 2.

No sewage smell anywhere that we noticed. 

No lines, found seats white easily any time in the buffet on 8 - we found if we went right when entering the buffet (technically towards port side) rather than left when entering - way less people, easier seating, etc. Weird, but held true both weeks...

Had minimal or no waits at virtually all the bars we went to - the guys at Shine, Haven and Miramar were stellar.  All the others were good to very good also, longer waits (5 minutes as opposed to 1 or 2) when there was a crowd in the atrium, or party in Haven, etc. Never longer than that. And yes, they all knew how to make all the cocktails on the menus, plus their own specialty drinks. If you want something different, not listed - just tell them what's in it and approximate proportions and their more than happy to make it. I taught several how to make Birthday Cake shots, no problem. 

We didn't notice any strange or abnormal closed hours. Nightclub bars were obviously closed during the daytime, etc.  All the outdoor bars were open whenever we were outside, indoor bars in the evenings, main atrium bar virtually all day/night, etc.  Seriously not a problem getting a drink. 

We saw our room steward pretty much every day. Not sure why you need to see them frequent - there's an order form to keep your mini fridge stocked, and you can ask them to keep your ice stocked, no problem.

Sea days had pools, slides, pool games, dancing by the pool, trivia in a couple places, Beer Prov family show, and so on. All included in your fare. We're not busy day people - chilling, enjoying g meeting people, having a drink or two and we're good. 

No, announcements are not non-stop. Yes, they're in several languages- once you hear yours, you pretty much tune out the rest. Didn't notice any more announcements than other lines like Princess or Royal Caribbean - more than Celebrity, but then they're extra limited in Celebrity.  

We had an absolutely fantastic time. Thoroughly loved the experience - and have booked several more already... 

Stop reading the reviews. Understand that there's 4500-5000 guests aboard every single week - maybe one or two people write a review for that week, if that, and many times the complaints are out if proportion to the actual incident . That means 4500-5000 other people had a good to fabulous time each week - and know or care nothing for CruiseCritic, etc. They enjoy themselves and go in their way.  

Go with an open mind, don't go looking for things to complain about and you likely won't find them.  We honestly walked around frequently wondering what the heck people were going on about - were they even on the same ship we were!? 

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time - assuming you don't psyche yourself out going overboard with negative reviews.

Enjoy!!  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, theEvilQueen2 said:

First off (and for me this is a deal breaker) does the ship still smell of sewage

No, the incorrectly installed pipe was corrected in the Spring of 2018.

Have they improved and/or increased the selections on the buffets and are the lines a mile long? 

I saw plenty to choose from. There are different items at different stations. If you go to the same spot everyday, the perception will be that there is a limited selection. No problems with lines.

Can I find a seat to eat at?

Yes.

Are the lines at the bars long and do the bartenders know how to make basic cocktails?

No problems at any bar. Just because people are hanging out doesn't mean that the wait is long.

Will I ever see my room steward and can I expect the mini bar to be stocked every day (I have the Premium Plus) and will the ice bucket be filled?  

Either speak to him/her directly or leave a note. I did both and all requests were met.

The same 3 pizzas every day?

Not true. You can order many kinds and even the buffet pizza can be requested in a specific way.

I know they can't make a room bigger, increase storage space, but will the room at least be clean, cool, and not stink?   

You won't have a problem. Seaside is a very clean ship throughout. Problems are the exception, not the norm.

Another deal breaker (and the reason I avoid Carnival) is there anything to do on sea days for fun that doesn't require an extra fee? 

Yes. Plenty to do.

I know they give announcements in 5 languages, but is it like a constant all day commercial, loud and blaring at you for the latest thing to spend money on?  I will really get annoyed with the constant upselling and add ons. 

I never heard anyone try to sell me anything, tbh.

I enjoyed Seaside and will be back on Seaside a few more times in the future (as well as planning to sail other MSC ships).

• Like 1

We got off Seaside on Feb 16th. I agree completely with Reedprincess and Two wheels. It was our best cruise ever. My only complaint, and this is really 1st world problems, is that the room steward would only stock the mini bar with certain items, i.e. a gin, a vodka and a scotch, no wine, 4 beers and plenty of soft drinks, water and snacks. I asked for different drinks but he said he could not vary from the set selection. I am now drinking gin and DW thought the Scotch was quite nice! It was our 10th cruise and probably the best ever. Go on your cruise with no fears. The outside dining at the buffet is great, never crowded. Ken

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiseIreland said:

We got off Seaside on Feb 16th. I agree completely with Reedprincess and Two wheels. It was our best cruise ever. My only complaint, and this is really 1st world problems, is that the room steward would only stock the mini bar with certain items, i.e. a gin, a vodka and a scotch, no wine, 4 beers and plenty of soft drinks, water and snacks. I asked for different drinks but he said he could not vary from the set selection. I am now drinking gin and DW thought the Scotch was quite nice! It was our 10th cruise and probably the best ever. Go on your cruise with no fears. The outside dining at the buffet is great, never crowded. Ken

Did you have the Premium Plus package or were you just paying ala carte? 

2 hours ago, reedprincess said:

We recently completed two weeks aboard. Jan 26/Feb 2.

No sewage smell anywhere that we noticed. 

No lines, found seats white easily any time in the buffet on 8 - we found if we went right when entering the buffet (technically towards port side) rather than left when entering - way less people, easier seating, etc. Weird, but held true both weeks...

Had minimal or no waits at virtually all the bars we went to - the guys at Shine, Haven and Miramar were stellar.  All the others were good to very good also, longer waits (5 minutes as opposed to 1 or 2) when there was a crowd in the atrium, or party in Haven, etc. Never longer than that. And yes, they all knew how to make all the cocktails on the menus, plus their own specialty drinks. If you want something different, not listed - just tell them what's in it and approximate proportions and their more than happy to make it. I taught several how to make Birthday Cake shots, no problem. 

We didn't notice any strange or abnormal closed hours. Nightclub bars were obviously closed during the daytime, etc.  All the outdoor bars were open whenever we were outside, indoor bars in the evenings, main atrium bar virtually all day/night, etc.  Seriously not a problem getting a drink. 

We saw our room steward pretty much every day. Not sure why you need to see them frequent - there's an order form to keep your mini fridge stocked, and you can ask them to keep your ice stocked, no problem.

Sea days had pools, slides, pool games, dancing by the pool, trivia in a couple places, Beer Prov family show, and so on. All included in your fare. We're not busy day people - chilling, enjoying g meeting people, having a drink or two and we're good. 

No, announcements are not non-stop. Yes, they're in several languages- once you hear yours, you pretty much tune out the rest. Didn't notice any more announcements than other lines like Princess or Royal Caribbean - more than Celebrity, but then they're extra limited in Celebrity.  

We had an absolutely fantastic time. Thoroughly loved the experience - and have booked several more already... 

Stop reading the reviews. Understand that there's 4500-5000 guests aboard every single week - maybe one or two people write a review for that week, if that, and many times the complaints are out if proportion to the actual incident . That means 4500-5000 other people had a good to fabulous time each week - and know or care nothing for CruiseCritic, etc. They enjoy themselves and go in their way.  

Go with an open mind, don't go looking for things to complain about and you likely won't find them.  We honestly walked around frequently wondering what the heck people were going on about - were they even on the same ship we were!? 

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time - assuming you don't psyche yourself out going overboard with negative reviews.

Enjoy!!  

Thank you, I feel much better now. Excellent information.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

No, the incorrectly installed pipe was corrected in the Spring of 2018.

I saw plenty to choose from. There are different items at different stations. If you go to the same spot everyday, the perception will be that there is a limited selection. No problems with lines.

Yes.

No problems at any bar. Just because people are hanging out doesn't mean that the wait is long.

Either speak to him/her directly or leave a note. I did both and all requests were met.

Not true. You can order many kinds and even the buffet pizza can be requested in a specific way.

You won't have a problem. Seaside is a very clean ship throughout. Problems are the exception, not the norm.

Yes. Plenty to do.

I never heard anyone try to sell me anything, tbh.

I enjoyed Seaside and will be back on Seaside a few more times in the future (as well as planning to sail other MSC ships).

Thank you. 

• Like 1

I was in 18039 YC.  Just outside and across the hall was a cleaning supply room.  When the door to this room was open

the smell was overwhelming.  I could see a drain in this room and as I inspected it I almost puked.  Several times when this room was opened I could smell the bleach that was poured down the drain. I had a nice conversation with our butler and he acknowledged the problem, and admitted that he had heard a lot of complaints.  I don't blame MSC or the excellent staff for this problem, but I do blame the designers of the ship.  Drydock can not come soon enough.

AJ

9 minutes ago, Postman1963 said:

I was in 18039 YC.  Just outside and across the hall was a cleaning supply room.  When the door to this room was open

the smell was overwhelming.  I could see a drain in this room and as I inspected it I almost puked.  Several times when this room was opened I could smell the bleach that was poured down the drain. I had a nice conversation with our butler and he acknowledged the problem, and admitted that he had heard a lot of complaints.  I don't blame MSC or the excellent staff for this problem, but I do blame the designers of the ship.  Drydock can not come soon enough.

AJ

Are you sure of the cabin number?  The deck plans I have show that 18039 is opposite the forward stairs.

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 9.55.30 PM.png

Check out Josh Hocum videos on YouTube. He was just Seaside last month and has done some very extensive vlogging on the ship. 

FWIW we were on Seaside a year ago and it was fantastic and we are going again this year!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FMZ said:

Check out Josh Hocum videos on YouTube. He was just Seaside last month and has done some very extensive vlogging on the ship. 

FWIW we were on Seaside a year ago and it was fantastic and we are going again this year!! 

That guy is hilarious 

Annoying but hilarious lol

The most annoying thing on Seaside (Feb. 9-16) was the Cruise Director.  He must have gone to the Carnival School of Cruise Directing.  Custom clothes and haircut, etc.  At least he didn't try other languages.  Here is the program for the second sea day:

enhance

18 hours ago, theEvilQueen2 said:

I have read so many bad reviews of Seaside I'm thinking of cancelling. But many of the reviews are a year old and I'm wondering if some of the problems have been fixed. or at least improved.

First off (and for me this is a deal breaker) does the ship still smell of sewage? 

The sewage smell was an absolute deal breaker for me too. I ended sailing Celebrity because, at the time of my sailing, I couldn't be absolutely sure it was fixed. As such, I followed the topic of sewage smell very closely. MSC admitted to the design error and implemented a plan to fully fix the sewer smell last spring. The topic because quite heated on the forums. Several posters (who had never set foot on a MSC ship) were very vocal claiming the Sewage smell problem was fixed long before MSC addressed the issue, so that didn't help matters. The post above by Postman is the first I've read about the sewage smell still being present.

IMO, MSC offers a very good value for the money, as long as they are pricing inexpensive. I've sailed on the Divina twice and consider MSC a budget line. Therefore, my expectations are set accordingly. With the proper expectations, MSC offers a very good product. However; I will not choose to sail MSC if I can sail on a different line at a similar cost. If you are a bargain hunter like me, MSC can deliver. But as with most things, "you get what you pay for" rings true here. 

Align expectations with price paid and you should enjoy MSC very much.

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The sewage smell was an absolute deal breaker for me too. I ended sailing Celebrity because, at the time of my sailing, I couldn't be absolutely sure it was fixed. As such, I followed the topic of sewage smell very closely. MSC admitted to the design error and implemented a plan to fully fix the sewer smell last spring. The topic because quite heated on the forums. Several posters (who had never set foot on a MSC ship) were very vocal claiming the Sewage smell problem was fixed long before MSC addressed the issue, so that didn't help matters. The post above by Postman is the first I've read about the sewage smell still being present.

IMO, MSC offers a very good value for the money, as long as they are pricing inexpensive. I've sailed on the Divina twice and consider MSC a budget line. Therefore, my expectations are set accordingly. With the proper expectations, MSC offers a very good product. However; I will not choose to sail MSC if I can sail on a different line at a similar cost. If you are a bargain hunter like me, MSC can deliver. But as with most things, "you get what you pay for" rings true here. 

Align expectations with price paid and you should enjoy MSC very much.

Ironically, Celebrity's new Edge ship is apparently inundated with sewer smells that keep popping up in various places around the ship.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Same ship builders? I wasn't on the Seaside, but the reviews for the first 3-4 months were atrocious :(. 

Different designers for sure.  [Celebrity deliberately chose designers who had never sailed on a cruise ship.  And it shows...]

49 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Ironically, Celebrity's new Edge ship is apparently inundated with sewer smells that keep popping up in various places around the ship.

As we're Celebrity's Solstice class ships, particularly Solstice, the first one. Ventilation pipe installed backwards - venting the public restrooms and section of staterooms from an entire section into the public areas - you couldn't walk through the entire back portions of the atrium, or the section to get to the specialty dining without gagging. It was awful.  Took a couple weeks to identify and fix - everyone got some decent OBC for the sheer smell . 

Further ships in the class didn't have the problem .   Funny they managed to do it in Edge again.  Lol.

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We're booked on Edge in December. Looks like I'm destined to have sewer smells follow me where ever I go. Maybe I should just chuck the whole thing and check out the new stuff at Disney and Universal this year. 

On 2/26/2019 at 5:46 PM, vigurl said:

I was worried about all of this since booking last April.  I will finally sail in a few weeks (this April).   I will come back and give you my two cents.

I went last April.its not true at all .it's different .but not bad don't worry about reviews.i booked a second go around on seaside so it must not have been that bad.( Better than carnival in my opinion)

On 2/27/2019 at 10:08 AM, Essiesmom said:

The most annoying thing on Seaside (Feb. 9-16) was the Cruise Director.  He must have gone to the Carnival School of Cruise Directing.  Custom clothes and haircut, etc.  At least he didn't try other languages.  Here is the program for the second sea day:

enhance

He reminded me of John heald

On 2/27/2019 at 9:08 AM, Essiesmom said:

enhance

Actually MSC did hire him from Carnival! lol