Do you buy Vacation Protection?

firstcruiseoct11

7 minutes ago, rnr4thatsme said:

Can you add the Carnival package AFTER the initial purchase?   I had noticed it when I went through a mock booking and wasn't aware it could be added later?

Yes, you can add it on.  Just go into "Manage My Booking" page and click the corresponding check box to add it.

ETA: Click on "Cruise Details" (towards upper right) from the "My Cruise Manager" page, then you will see the page where you can add the trip protection (it will be on the "My Billing" tab).

Edited by ShakyBeef
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cajunfla said:

I'm glad we bought the insurance.  Had a medical emergency 4 days before cruise date and had to cancel.  

We got all our $ back.

Was this from the Carnival insurance?  I had wondered if it was indeed worth it.  I usually buy from a third party.  Thanks!

4 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

(I have never paid as much as $129 for a cruise for two). 

On my next Carnival sailing, it's $129 PER PERSON!!!  $516 for a single cruise.  It's obviously a huge cash cow for Carnival.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BNBR said:

On my next Carnival sailing, it's $129 PER PERSON!!!  $516 for a single cruise.  It's obviously a huge cash cow for Carnival.

I paid $68 for two people for five nights on the Paradise in September 2018, $68 for two people for six nights on the Conquest in December 2018, $64 for two people (in different states, so different policies) for four nights on Brilliance of the Seas earlier this month, and $30 for a comped cruise on Symphony of the Seas next month (covers everything except the zero cost of the cruise).  Most of these policies were through Allianz.  Obviously, I do not spend a lot for my cruises 😁, so your insurance costs will probably be a bit higher.  

Edited to add:  Eight nights for two on Adventure of the Seas will run either $90 or $127, I haven't locked in yet.

Edited by ZoeyVictoria
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, BNBR said:

We pay less for an annual policy that covers 12 months of travel and as many trips or cruises we do in a year.

Getting it through Carnival probably isn't the best value. You can usually get a cheaper rate and/or better coverage through a third party. I use the Trip Insurance Store online, but there are other providers too that I have no reason to believe wouldn't be good.

If  like me you're not sure what exactly you're doing and want help, Trip Insurance Store is good about talking you through it if need be.

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Like 1

The first thing you need to do is check your primary medical insurance to see how it's handled overseas.  It probably covers everything but evacuation.  In which case, just buy a super cheap evac plan.  I would venture to say that many people here are way over insured and wasting a lot of money on comprehensive plans that are totally unnecessary.

20 hours ago, evandbob said:

We pay less for an annual policy that covers 12 months of travel and as many trips or cruises we do in a year.

Of course.  The OP was asking about the Carnival Vacation Protection specifically.  I would never buy any of the above.  I have an annual evac plan that costs $79.99/year and nothing more, which covers our RV trips as well as cruises, skiing, family visits to Denmark, etc.  If we have a medical issue, we are already covered by our primary health insurance and as I said above, I'd wager a good portion of the people posting here probably have insurance coverage already and don't even realize it.  Most common carriers DO cover overseas emergencies.  Which means you don't need anything more than evac.  And even then, how many may even have credit cards that offer this and not even know it? (ie. Amex Platinum, some Chase cards, etc.)

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

I agree with BNBR, but a lot of people seem more worried about recovering the cost of the trip, or travel delay compensation, than the health insurance/evacuation angle. To me, the health insurance is the big ticket item you need to be concerned about. If you travel regularly, even if you got burned once every 15 trips or so and lost the entire cost of your trip, that loss still might well be less than the cost of insurance for 15 trips so you'd still come out ahead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I agree with BNBR, but a lot of people seem more worried about recovering the cost of the trip, or travel delay compensation, than the health insurance/evacuation angle. To me, the health insurance is the big ticket item you need to be concerned about. If you travel regularly, even if you got burned once every 15 trips or so and lost the entire cost of your trip, that loss still might well be less than the cost of insurance for 15 trips so you'd still come out ahead.

It's almost guaranteed to be less than the 15 trips you didn't miss.  We get these posts all the time about insurance.  On the last one I think the calculation was like 6 or 7 trips.  And even then, after 5 trips, your loss is exponentially less because you saved on those 5 trips.  Insuring a vacation for cancellation is a really terrible financial decision.  But you'll inevitably get the stories of people who recovered their $5k or whatever, just like you'll hear stories of people winning $5k at blackjack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BNBR said:

I like your chances! These insurance plans are basically

a tax on people who are bad at math. 

Insurance is always a gamble!

You're gambling you might need it.

They're gambling you won't need it.

You need to figure out the odds

and stop thinking catastrophe is just around the corner. It isn't.

2 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

Maybe some people are riskier than the actuaries think? 🤔😜

The insurance company isn't really gambling, however. They are very good at math! 

I get the insurance.

Those medical transport flights are expensive.

A lady I work with recently had a bad cruise.

Her husband had something bad happen and did not wake up on the first morning of the cruise.

They were in Nassau and the ship people wanted to leave him in Nassau.

She had to put $14,000 on her credit card before they would even call for the medical transport plane.

I guess if she had not had enough available credit then he would have been in the hospital in Nassau.

I've seen the hospital in Nassau...

On 2/27/2019 at 8:26 AM, firstcruiseoct11 said:

Our date for our final payment is fast approaching. I am trying to decide if I should add Vacation Protection that is offered by Carnival. 

Always. But it is much cheaper from a third party if you pay for it right after booking your cruise. Which doesn't help you at all. But consider what your peace of mind is worth. 

1 hour ago, Aplmac said:

Insurance is always a transfer of risk.

If you are fine with the cost of the risk vs. the cost of the insurance then don't get insurance.  I don't get extended warranties (insurance) because I am fine with the risk of a purchased item needing replaced.  Many don't insure the cost of the trip.

If you can absorb the cost of insurance more than the cost of a catastrophe (true catastrophic ins. isn't usually very much since it doesn't happen often) then get the insurance.  We do have homeowners insurance, liability insurance, and life insurance because we would rather pay the cost of insurance than risk the cost of an unlikely event happening.  Many do purchase insurance for medical travel expenses (not covered by personal medical insurance).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mkcurran said:

Always. But it is much cheaper from a third party if you pay for it right after booking your cruise. Which doesn't help you at all. But consider what your peace of mind is worth. 

I looked at a site someone posted and noticed that it needed to be booked within like 21 days of the first payment to get the most benefit. I guess if you don't read enough they can get you. I think I like the peach of mind in knowing if something happens we are covered 

Just be sure you understand the coverage.  There is "primary" and "secondary" coverage on these policies.  Carnival's policy is for "secondary" coverage", which means you must file paperwork through your own insurance company first, then the balance may or may not be covered by the "secondary" policy you bought via Carnival.  When we purchase cruise travel insurance, we always make sure that it is "primary" coverage, meaning that the policy you purchase for travel covers your insurance needs FIRST, without the need to file tons of paperwork through you own insurance companies/policies first. We sometimes purchase them and sometimes we are 'risk' takers.

22 hours ago, evandbob said:

May I ask, what kind of policy this is? and the cost?   It would be something we would be interested in!  Thanks

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

Insurance is always a transfer of risk.

If you are fine with the cost of the risk vs. the cost of the insurance then don't get insurance.  I don't get extended warranties (insurance) because I am fine with the risk of a purchased item needing replaced.  Many don't insure the cost of the trip.

If you can absorb the cost of insurance more than the cost of a catastrophe (true catastrophic ins. isn't usually very much since it doesn't happen often) then get the insurance.  We do have homeowners insurance, liability insurance, and life insurance because we would rather pay the cost of insurance than risk the cost of an unlikely event happening.  Many do purchase insurance for medical travel expenses (not covered by personal medical insurance).

The thing about trip cancellation insurance is that literally everyone can absorb the cost of the "catastrophe" of missing a cruise.  They actually are better off financially if they miss the cruise as you get ancillary expenses, taxes, fees, etc. returned.  Which makes cancellation insurance all the more ridiculous.  Contrast that with evac and medical, which pretty much everyone should have as those expensive are truly catastrophic.  But dang, such great marketing and sales to be able to sell people "disappointment insurance" - I'm in the wrong business!

• Like 1