Bliss / Live / Solo - March 2-9, 2019 ​

EganFire

This has been a great thread to follow. I too am a huge fan of breweries and since I live in Oregon there are no shortage of breweries to visit. If you ever make it out to the Portland area I'd be happy to suggest some places for you. In the meantime I'll try and friend you on untappd. 

• Like 1

We missed this cruise due to work issues. We were looking forward to our first Norwegian cruise. I don't know if you're aware there is an art group onboard hosted by Park West. There are three artists featured. Not everyone's cup of tea but can be fun. Sounds like we're missing a fun cruise.

Sorry for your harrowing ordeal on St Thomas. We visited Turtle Bay a few years ago and it was beautiful. We enjoyed a beer at the High Tide Bar while we waited for our ferry ride back.

Day 6- at Sea

I started the day out with my morning visit to the Local for breakfast.

I then went to one of my favorite spots on the ship deck 8 the Waterfront. It’s very relaxing to hear the ocean sounds and feel the salt air. It is usually very peaceful, maybe the occasional person or child running by or talking loudly as they walk by. But this morning it was extra... well, this:

35ebae287e4ab8b16bf8f58bf8a70e99.jpg
I was sitting in a chair relaxed and studying a book for an upcoming test. When a couple comes up and moves the furniture in front of me, and drags a table to their now relocated chairs. And then they whip out a Bluetooth speaker and start playing some French music fairly loudly.

Just in case anyone didn’t know they make things called headsets. This is just one example of what they could have used.
86a73a17fce2a4cb3684347cb4457f34.jpg

So instead of ocean waves breaking I was listening to music in French saying who knows what.

They eventually left and I had about an hour of ocean sounds left before it started to rain. Well rain on a cruise means one thing. Most of the thousands of people on the pool deck would now be coming in the ship.

Just in time for the folding chairs to make an appearance.
d705d335636bef48444f60e61d58a286.jpg

This was only one of three waves of folding chairs making the way out. I didn’t grab the other pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d2ec5e000668fc39adbc4ba8fc70c3b0.jpg
I decided to try out the deal or no deal game. Why not? It was raining and I found a folding chair not in use yet

8f57eee1a8f5d32d3d05633922c7168a.jpg

And guess who won, not this guy. LOL

I did actually win a small prize. A free photo. I still need to go pick that up.

I then decided to pay tribute to a man the Mike Rowe introduced to the world. His name is Clint Hill. He was a secret service agent for 5 presidents. He has a book that now due to Mike Rowe is the number one seller on amazon. Furthermore it’s the book I listened to on my ride down and will on my ride back.

Mr Clint Hill also made a drink named after himself. The Clint.
e5c00816d8d83932f5ca8a5450884318.jpg

I have never had Campari. Let’s just say that’s a spicy drink. Wow. But nonetheless I ordered it. Drank it. And thought of Mr Hill.

2434057320115e1a9565bcb2d4c839c8.jpg

dcd0db1331b7c96c3a4cb079f26973c7.jpg
I decided to try my chance at this also. I figured what the heck. Someone has to win. Well guess what? That’s right. Not me.

It was still sort of fun to be in the theatre with hundreds of people all hoping to win.

I then attended the Solo meeting but cut out early to capture this beautiful sunset.

d25a2ee629c84480ac12896005a06140.jpg

• Like 3

For dinner I went Cagneys. I really want to like Cagneys. I did not like it on my Alaska sailing but I wanted to give it another opportunity.

The service is amazing. But the food is lacking. I found the steak tough and the shrimp bland and rubbery. The lobster bisque has a lot of lobster but I did not like the bisque.

4c43ea8d38b4a4aac1aa78dc69e89e5a.jpg
d161b0dad34f886953ed0d733cdaf0a7.jpg

It is also incredibly loud in Cagneys. Like people need to yell to be heard over it.

I really wanted to like Cagneys but I will say my favorite for steak on the Bliss is Teppanyaki.

056dc9ca1d401652e80985e185b561c5.jpg

438f99d7a1814ea3cc05d3e1b418261e.jpg
2171a6a93b5dfc0d303f7766ec21a220.jpg

After dinner I had drinks at sugarcane and listened to live music. Then went to the brewhouse for Jim Badger.

f42abcea72c9725b390e824746aeaa7c.jpg

I then watched the Liar Liar comedy in the Q and had more drinks. The show was very funny. Marked adult for a good reason. But I laughed lots.

Then I watched some of Casablanca in the autrium but it was too loud from the noise from the Local above.

On return to my room I had bad news waiting for me. My excursion for Nassau was canceled due to weather.

47a918558e62e4e79524033aab256282.jpg

Day 7 - Nassau

I work up and went to deck 8 and found the weather was not bad. Still wonder why they canceled.

854653a9c8851f9705292823530396e7.jpg

I then ate the usual breakfast at the Local.

b78ea54fb2cb0b63af49ab06bf5ee9ef.jpg

I then watched as we made way into Nassau’s bay.

55b82d4f1ba2fe6fe28b25269ad4aa56.jpg

e5e6305ab0e75bced5e24d78a602cddc.jpg

2023d85c2f6c0e956f6e5d1fee913fa9.jpg

We are one of five ships in port today. And one coming in behind is as big as us. This should be a busy port today.

Off to eat some lunch before I wonder into port to find a brewery.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, EganFire said:

Day 6- at Sea

I started the day out with my morning visit to the Local for breakfast.

I then went to one of my favorite spots on the ship deck 8 the Waterfront. It’s very relaxing to hear the ocean sounds and feel the salt air. It is usually very peaceful, maybe the occasional person or child running by or talking loudly as they walk by. But this morning it was extra... well, this:

35ebae287e4ab8b16bf8f58bf8a70e99.jpg
I was sitting in a chair relaxed and studying a book for an upcoming test. When a couple comes up and moves the furniture in front of me, and drags a table to their now relocated chairs. And then they whip out a Bluetooth speaker and start playing some French music fairly loudly.

Just in case anyone didn’t know they make things called headsets. This is just one example of what they could have used.
86a73a17fce2a4cb3684347cb4457f34.jpg

So instead of ocean waves breaking I was listening to music in French saying who knows what.

They eventually left and I had about an hour of ocean sounds left before it started to rain. Well rain on a cruise means one thing. Most of the thousands of people on the pool deck would now be coming in the ship.

Just in time for the folding chairs to make an appearance.
d705d335636bef48444f60e61d58a286.jpg

This was only one of three waves of folding chairs making the way out. I didn’t grab the other pics.

Exact thing happened to us...well, minus the furniture re-arrangement. Anyway, I went up to the people and politely said that I was not a fan of their music and could they turn it down. They got obnoxious and I told them they can easily plug in head phones and not disturb other passengers...they became very obnoxious until other passengers also stepped in and agreed with me. They swore at me in French, not knowing I spoke French too and swore back at them and then they were surprised and began to leave, they looked around and saw everyone else smiling and did so, cursing out the Anglaise (english) as they did. Some people do not realize they are not alone on a cruise ship.

On 3/4/2019 at 11:45 AM, jakeawhite said:

Loving the review so far! Long time lurker here, heading out on Breakaway next week.

Considering doing Live review, wondering if that's too many too close together?

Go for it, there are there are never to many "Live" threads. As a fellow "Live" reviewer, its nice seeing more and more of them. 56 more days until my next "Live" not that I'm counting down until my next cruise or anything. 🙂

On 3/4/2019 at 12:17 PM, bs209438 said:

From a reader’s point of view, never too many of these.  Please go for It!

Exactly, never to many of them! More pictures in them the better too.

Just now, MrFunInTheSun said:

Go for it, there are there are never to many "Live" threads. As a fellow "Live" reviewer, its nice seeing more and more of them. 56 more days until my next "Live" not that I'm counting down until my next cruise or anything. 🙂

Exactly, never to many of them! More pictures in them the better too.

Thanks! It's happening already! We embark tomorrow morning, Live review started, can't wait to get to the meat of it starting tomorrow.

On 3/4/2019 at 11:26 AM, EganFire said:

Day 3 at Sea

Today is much more windy than yesterday. It still is beautiful but just really windy.

The Vibe pictures and review:

This is a private limited membership access area. It’s towards the front of the ship on deck 18. The Haven area is just ahead of it and actually has a connecting door to the area.

You have to have your card programmed for access and the staff keeps and eye out for those who did not pay the cost for entry.

It has a hot tub A variety of seat options.

Cabanas that can be purchased for an additional cost

A bar

The extras include:

No kids

No music

Quiet. No games or contests

Seating usually better than you will find elsewhere

A staff that works hard for you

And little extra touches like towels, iced towels to cool off and cookies or fruit delivered to you where you sit. (These just show up at usually the right time).

The cons:

I have met some amazing people here in the Vibe but it’s the same people every day. So if a group you don’t like is here they will be here every day. Luckily I have not seen anything bad or anyone acting badly. But if one existed I think it could ruin the experience.

The biggest con is the method in which we have to fight to get access. Once that is fixed it will only get better.

I am glad I did this for this cruise. The weather is great but I also sadly have to do some reading/studying for a test at work as soon as I’m back. Not sure I really will get a lot done but at least it’s a better view.

So am I understanding this correctly, basically the Vibe which on this sailing cost $209 is basically an "Adults only area". Has a little pampering added too. The drinks you showed earlier in the cruise you got there, if you didn't pay for a drink package would they have been included while drinking in the vibe? or would you have had to pay extra for those drinks if you didn't have a drink package? Would think alcoholic drinks wouldn't be included in the Vibe?

If one doesn't buy the Vibe is there another "Adults Area" on this ship?

41 minutes ago, MrFunInTheSun said:

So am I understanding this correctly, basically the Vibe which on this sailing cost $209 is basically an "Adults only area". Has a little pampering added too. The drinks you showed earlier in the cruise you got there, if you didn't pay for a drink package would they have been included while drinking in the vibe? or would you have had to pay extra for those drinks if you didn't have a drink package? Would think alcoholic drinks wouldn't be included in the Vibe?

Having been in Vibe on other ships I can say that drinks are not included. There is H2O which is a free 18+ older area on NCL ships. Some ships enforce that rule 24/7 - like the Star - and others don’t. 

Edited by HBCcruiser

Sorry for late posts travel took its toll on me

To finish Nassau, I went into port and found the brewery I wanted to visit.

67073848179b2494e65b76da8c080727.jpg

The Pirate Republic is a couple of blocks away from the cruise terminal. It had a good mix of locals and tourists drinking at it.

5c2850504599842d8dc28a42211eeded.jpg

The food looked good but I did not try any. Instead I tried a few beers.

f9e04dbe7f6271c1dc3a3d4542db73c2.jpg
4c2562fcd80063619342eed084ec5cc5.jpg

I then made my way back towards the ship.

• Like 1

On the ship I decided to walk around a little. This was the pool. Big difference on a port day compared to an at Sea day.

d043b7eaf8f6300cf64f7f9b0328e7c3.jpg

I then made my way to the Vibe. Had a great chat with the bartenders. Rammell mentioned he had not been doing shot o’clock as this weeks cruise had the less fun crowd that the Vibe usually does. A few people at the bar were interested in what shot o’clock was so we all found out.

0511d0e2cdf1b8cac5eb7a6df11a7975.jpg
First up was the cheeseburger shot

1e9a01ae34f0a0603b243a1eefd70a23.jpg
Then the poop shots

ffbff75824117f516f5f9831c0caf01c.jpg
And last the mini beers

After my day drinking, the beers in town, and a few rounds of shot o’clock I needed to start to pack shower and go to my last dinner on board the Bliss for this trip.

But first one last view of Nassau since all the other ships had left we were the only one in port.

a370775670dd91315423d2f8b41e4923.jpg

• Like 1

My last dinner was at my favorite restaurant Teppanyaki.

c77afb5056f591ffe559f7c482794fdf.jpg
f9228a80edd9754c492671b0a4dafb1c.jpg

It was delicious. I then wondered around a little. I went to the brewhouse and saw Jim playing the piano. It was his last night on the Bliss. He was leaving for vacation and his next contract will be on the Joy out of Seattle.

I then met up with some of the Solos and drank and exchanged contact information.

I headed to bed around 1 AM

I woke up at 7, showered and packed up my day bag. I sent my suitcase out the night before.

I made my way for my last breakfast at the Local and heard my tag color called a little earlier than I thought.

Left the local at 807 AM when I finished eating and made my way through the line of people.

Easy process using the photo face recognition system. Step on the blue Matt. Look at the camera. Cleared to leave the ship. I was off the ship at 810.

032e7074ba6d4970999ee90c8ac18e0d.jpg

Longest line was in the terminal waiting for the escalator down stairs to claim luggage. Made it down by 820.

Found my luggage color section and began the hunt for my bag. Has anyone seen a blue suitcase?

7bbcde35228e685f779d1c1bfe6ae0d2.jpg

I found it rather fast compared to some and made my way outside the building by 828. Originally I had an Uber scheduled for 9. Canceled that and requested a new one.

I was in an Uber by 0833 and saw about 15 people waiting at terminal c like I was just 7 short days ago for their cruise to begin.

I made it to the hotel by 0845 where my truck was parked. After getting the truck loaded, buying a drink for the drive I was on the road by 855 heading North.

I will post more as I go through my notes and pictures. I plan to scan the daily’s for you. I have a few people to follow up with on some items.

I promise more to come but most likely it will be after Wednesday.

Thanks for following along and I hope you enjoyed so far. Again, I promise to post more soon.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MrFunInTheSun said:

Also is this a 24/7 area?

Does the area open to non paying passengers after a certain time?  

Like MrFunInTheSun asked, is there another “Adults Only” area on the ship that does not cost extra?

Just me, but I feel if paid that much extra for the perk, I wouldn’t want to be in other parts of the ship, like the main pool area or where other activities maybe going on.