Selecting Boarding Time

sprint180

I haven't cruised on  Carnival since 2011 but do I understand it that you select a boarding time?  I can not find a place to do that in my booking.  We don't sail until Jan 4th.  Is it just too early?

You can't select a boarding time. You can only select a time to check in at the cruise terminal. People constantly get these two things confused. When you go to "Manage My Cruise" on Carnival's home page, you'll see a blue square on the left side, and at the top of the square, it will say "To Do List". One of the selections will be "On Line Check-In". You won't be able to select a check-in time until 90 days before your cruise. There will be a date that indicates when you can select your check-in time.

• Like 2

Looks like beachbum covered it pretty thoroughly. Just to reiterate, your "arrival time" at the cruise terminal won't be available to select until you're 90 days out from your sailing. If you're Platinum, Diamond, have booked a suite or have purchased FTTF, you still have to select an arrival appointment but you can show up and check in whenever you want.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I want to be sure I've got this.  We book directly through the cruise line for ourselves and know about the check in process.  However, I'm coordinating a group cruise for next winter and I'm probably going through a TA for perks.

I know when you book through a TA you can't choose your dining directly with Carnival.  the TA has to handle the group's booking to be sure they are all linked.

If I remember correctly when checking in, ( giving cc number, passport info and flight info) that's where the select check in time is listed.   ( I know 90 days out)  Logic tells me I should be able to do that myself and not have to go through the TA for that.

Am I correct? TIA

56 minutes ago, LPYRCRUISER said:

I want to be sure I've got this.  We book directly through the cruise line for ourselves and know about the check in process.  However, I'm coordinating a group cruise for next winter and I'm probably going through a TA for perks.

I know when you book through a TA you can't choose your dining directly with Carnival.  the TA has to handle the group's booking to be sure they are all linked.

If I remember correctly when checking in, ( giving cc number, passport info and flight info) that's where the select check in time is listed.   ( I know 90 days out)  Logic tells me I should be able to do that myself and not have to go through the TA for that.

Am I correct? TIA

You are correct.  Each guest does their own check-in and selects their arrival appointment.

• Like 1

I don't mean to hijack your post OP but I, like you, haven't sailed since 2011 and have just one question. I understand that carnival now has you pick an arrival time and understand why they do so. The question I have is simple. Once I can select that time do I have to follow it. I'm not platinum or have a suite or have done the fttf. If an early time isn't available what happens if we show up before then? I am by nature an early type of person. I'd rather be early and wait than be 5 minutes late. Will we be able to go thru the process if we are there before the time and possibly board before that time?

It is my understanding that if you show up prior to your selected check-in time, you will be turned away until your check-in time. I have heard people say that they were turned away and weren't even able to park prior to their check-in time. I think it mostly depends on the terminal.

7 minutes ago, BBigfoot613 said:

I don't mean to hijack your post OP but I, like you, haven't sailed since 2011 and have just one question. I understand that carnival now has you pick an arrival time and understand why they do so. The question I have is simple. Once I can select that time do I have to follow it. I'm not platinum or have a suite or have done the fttf. If an early time isn't available what happens if we show up before then? I am by nature an early type of person. I'd rather be early and wait than be 5 minutes late. Will we be able to go thru the process if we are there before the time and possibly board before that time?

Generally, you will be made to wait until your designated time.  Imagine, if you will, everyone not following their selected time and all showing up at 11am.  That scenario is exactly why Carnival went to the present system.

Select 1pm, and probably walk right onto the ship. Maybe.  maybe not.

4 minutes ago, BBigfoot613 said:

Unless you have some sort of priority status, such as Diamond, Platinum or FTTF, you won't be allowed to enter the terminal before your check-in time. Keep in mind, the check-in time at the terminal has absolutely nothing to do with the boarding time. With the exception of priority status, you won't be able to board the ship until your zone number is called. Your zone number will be printed on your boarding pass.

For a departure time of 4:00pm... why might be a typical time that they start boarding people ?  12 o'clock... 1 o'clock... ?

My last cruise was in 2007, and I recall they boarded wedding parties first, followed by diamond and platinum.  Is this still true ?

Edited by VentureMan_2000

1 hour ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

For a departure time of 4:00pm... why might be a typical time that they start boarding people ?  12 o'clock... 1 o'clock... ?

My last cruise was in 2007, and I recall they boarded wedding parties first, followed by diamond and platinum.  Is this still true ?

Yes that is true but the suite guests are also included with the D & P guests, followed by the FTTF guests. 

My experience is (depending on port and ship) that boarding for those high loyalty, suite and FTTF guests is around 11AM. Sometimes a bit earlier, sometimes a bit later.

2 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Generally, they can start boarding around 11:30 depending on if everything goes right with Customs clearance, no issues with inspections, etc.

Boarding order is as you remember, plus Suites and they've added another paid for boarding perk called FTTF (faster to the fun).

Edited by tandemcruzr

I could imagine the chaos that would happen if everyone showed up at once. Even for a smaller ship that could make a huge mess. Correct me if I'm wrong but you select check in time when you do online check in. Is all info needed for that? I'm waiting still for our passports to get back (don't sail until the end of june) and should have plenty of time before sailing. Will I have to wait until they arrive to do online check-in? I'm assuming there are time slots and the first x amount to choose a time get that time and if you are one of the last you get what's left.

5 minutes ago, BBigfoot613 said:

I could imagine the chaos that would happen if everyone showed up at once. Even for a smaller ship that could make a huge mess. Correct me if I'm wrong but you select check in time when you do online check in. Is all info needed for that? I'm waiting still for our passports to get back (don't sail until the end of june) and should have plenty of time before sailing. Will I have to wait until they arrive to do online check-in? I'm assuming there are time slots and the first x amount to choose a time get that time and if you are one of the last you get what's left.

no you do not need all of you info

you can skip the travel documents part of the check in, or you select a different travel document like a birth certificate to complete the online checkin. Then when you receive the passports, you can always go back and update in the online check in

1 minute ago, shof515 said:

no you do not need all of you info

you can skip the travel documents part of the check in, or you select a different travel document like a birth certificate to complete the online checkin. Then when you receive the passports, you can always go back and update in the online check in

never thought of that. Great idea! thanks! I was worried we'd have to wait and all the early times would be taken. I'm not a rushing type person...just like to be early for everything lol. It's been 8 years since last cruise and oh how I feel like a rookie. I appreciate the help.

2 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

Unless you have some sort of priority status, such as Diamond, Platinum or FTTF, you won't be allowed to enter the terminal before your check-in time. Keep in mind, the check-in time at the terminal has absolutely nothing to do with the boarding time. With the exception of priority status, you won't be able to board the ship until your zone number is called. Your zone number will be printed on your boarding pass.

So you could potentially pick a time to check in and then have to wait in the terminal for a couple hours until your zone is called? Or do they assign zones sort of based on check in times? I'm totally new to this. My last Carnival cruise was 24 years ago. We've done a few RCI and usually show up early, to get through check in and then walk right on board. Sounds like this will be a lot different. 

We just got off of the Horizon out of Miami.  This cruise we turned Platinum.  When the day came that we could check in on line, the only time slot available was 12:30-1:00.   I don't know if they automatically give that slot to P/D, Suites and FTTF or not but it was the only one and it was the first day I could choose.

When we got to the port, there were three lines outside the terminal.  One for Priority, one for On Time and one for Early/Late.  There was a worker there checking each person's boarding pass and directing them to the right line.  The Early/Late line was full, the other two just had a few in each.

We got to the terminal around 10:45-11, scanned our boarding passes, went through security, then walked right on the ship.  The terminal was empty already other than the people checking in, so they must have started boarding fairly early that day.

We did notice that the  boarding passes now have Zone on them.  Ours was blank so I'm not sure how that works with people that aren't priority.  Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

We just got off of the Horizon out of Miami.  This cruise we turned Platinum.  When the day came that we could check in on line, the only time slot available was 12:30-1:00.   I don't know if they automatically give that slot to P/D, Suites and FTTF or not but it was the only one and it was the first day I could choose.

When we got to the port, there were three lines outside the terminal.  One for Priority, one for On Time and one for Early/Late.  There was a worker there checking each person's boarding pass and directing them to the right line.  The Early/Late line was full, the other two just had a few in each.

That has been my experience more often than not that the early/late line gets very long while the on-time and priority lines are always short.  If people want to show up early, which is usually the majority of the early/late line, and potentially wait in line for a long time, that is their perogative.   But it bothers me when some of these people complain about the long line or complain about standing outside in the Florida heat, when they have no one to blame but themselves. If they showed up during their scheduled check-in time, the process would be extremely fast. 

3 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

But it bothers me when some of these people complain about the long line or complain about standing outside in the Florida heat, when they have no one to blame but themselves. If they showed up during their scheduled check-in time, the process would be extremely fast. 

That statement reminds me of the mess with the elevators on the Horizon.  People weren't doing what was suppose to be done to call an elevator.  Hit the floor you want, then how many people are with you.  People would hit the floor once and then all head to that elevator.  By the time the elevator came, there would be twenty to thirty  people trying to get on it.  

Okay, I have an odd situation.  We booked 5 cabins a year ago - at that time, I was able to select an arrival time for each reservation of 11-11:30.  Since that time, they have been jacking with the website, but when I would log in, I would still see the 11-11:30 check in.  Anyway, once final payment was made, I went to print boarding passes.  I printed 2 of the cabins & it showed 11-11:30 check in & the box where the zone prints was blank.  I then went to print passes for the other 3 cabins, but it said online check in was incomplete & an arrival time needed to be selected.  Of course, the earliest time available was 12:30-1.  So, I call Carnival where the rep tells me that she is not able to make any changes to fix this.  She told me that we should all just show up together, but that there could be a longer wait.  What ticks me off is that the times were selected a year ago & now they've been lost on 3 of the 5 cabins.  I wish I had a screen shot of what the booking looked like before they started jacking around with everything.  It's so frustrating.  

10 minutes ago, dmdiver said:

Okay, I have an odd situation.  We booked 5 cabins a year ago - at that time, I was able to select an arrival time for each reservation of 11-11:30.  Since that time, they have been jacking with the website, but when I would log in, I would still see the 11-11:30 check in.  Anyway, once final payment was made, I went to print boarding passes.  I printed 2 of the cabins & it showed 11-11:30 check in & the box where the zone prints was blank.  I then went to print passes for the other 3 cabins, but it said online check in was incomplete & an arrival time needed to be selected.  Of course, the earliest time available was 12:30-1.  So, I call Carnival where the rep tells me that she is not able to make any changes to fix this.  She told me that we should all just show up together, but that there could be a longer wait.  What ticks me off is that the times were selected a year ago & now they've been lost on 3 of the 5 cabins.  I wish I had a screen shot of what the booking looked like before they started jacking around with everything.  It's so frustrating.  

i think carnival is changing the check in times for most ports and that some times might be invalid. these invalid times no longer exist and could be causing the blank zone number

New York is my home port and i remember they where check in times that went from 10:30 to 11, 11 to 11;30 and so on. A few days ago, the check in for my cruise open for my cruise. I log in a few minutes past midnight and the earlier time was only 11:30 to 12. From my roll call group, others were noticing the missing earlier times as well and the 11:30 seems to be earliest...so strange. This is making me think, maybe carnival is reworking the check in times and allowing more people to book to specific time slot? 

4 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Interesting and good to know! I wonder what they consider early or late. I would assume they have some type of cutoff. 5 mins? 10 mins? 0 mins? 

Also I saw someone say about online check-in at midnight? Is that when it gets opened up? 

12 minutes ago, BBigfoot613 said:

Also I saw someone say about online check-in at midnight? Is that when it gets opened up? 

Midnight eastern time. you might have to log in/out a few times for checkin in link to work