Just off Jade no drinks allowed in hot tubs?

Adian80

We just got off Jade and were told that there's no drinks allowed in the hot tubs.  When did that change?  Last year on the Pearl we had no problems taking our drinks in the hot tub to relax. It's been awhile since we've done a short cruise and this cruise was full of inebriated people.  In the past there's always been a few, but this one was so full of drunks that I'm guessing we'll stick to 7 night or longer cruises from now on.   

Edited by Adian80

3 minutes ago, Adian80 said:

We just got off Jade and were told that there's no drinks allowed in the hot tubs.  When did that change?  Last year on the Pearl we had no problems taking our drinks in the hot tub to relax. It's been awhile since we've done a short cruise and this cruise was full of inebriated people.  In the past there's always been a few, but this one was so full of drunks that I'm guessing we'll stick to 7 night or longer cruises from now on.   

is it just me or there others that wonder why you would take a drink into the hot tub period?  

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

is it just me or there others that wonder why you would take a drink into the hot tub period?  

Why wouldn't you?  I'm on vacation and it's a nice way to relax, but thanks for your helpful response.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

hot tubs in your own back yard or inside is a little different than on a ship. We use the hot tub  3 times a week after working out at our rec center. No drinks of any kind are allowed. On our last cruise, in Feb I never saw anyone in the pool with a drink and the resort we choose for a day tour did not allow beverages in the hot tub. No one in the world enjoys their adult beverages anymore than I do. You can often see me sitting in the sun with my book, my towel, hopefully my sun screen and my drink, but still never would I consider taking it to the hot tub. I guess everyone has their own ideas on the topic 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Hubby and I loved sitting in Bliss hot tub on Haven deck with a drink enjoying sailaway last summer - waiters even took our adult beverage orders and brought them to us!

The Haven hut tub is quite different from the human soup cauldron used by the masses in the "common area" with dozens of people dunking themselves in and out (with a few camping for hours). I for one prefer the rule not letting those squatters fill their bladders with freely available beverages knowing they will be unlikely to vacate their claimed territory to relieve themselves lest someone else be waiting to enjoy adding their own simmering juices to the stew.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

This past time on the Jade was the first time they were saying no drinks in the hot tub. They were having

the lifeguard enforce it. I don't know...I suppose some of the drinks have things that if the drink were

accidentally spilled would make quite a mess. I am thinking orange peels, cherries, that green lettuce

looking thingy stuff in some of the drinks. Also how about accidentally spilling a mudslide. haha

One more thing people have access to  are glass containers in the buffet that would not be a good

situation.

• Like 1

Happy to hear that they are not allowing drinking in the hot tubes, hope it is f.eet wide. Seen people in the tubes for hours, drinking, must have great bladder control (lol) been more annoying are the kids using it as a kiddie pool. The main reason they don't keep them hot is because it would be a danger to have less that intelligent people cooking themselves all day

I was on this sailing too. We were fortunate enough to be in Haven, so I don't know about the rules for the main pool, but there was a sign of rules posted near the Haven pool saying no "glasses" near the pool area. My guess is they're more concerned about a dropped/spilled glass breaking and being a safety issue. 

Regardless, I had my wine glass on the edge of the pool and no one said 'boo' to me. I also wasn't a bumbling drunken fool, so that may have played a bigger role.

16 hours ago, cdnsteelman said:

My bigger question is what they don't allow HOT water in the luke-warm tubs 😉

Mainly because 104*F is the optimum breeding temperature for legionella (legionnaires) bacteria.

Back when I worked for NCL, it was no glass containers in the hot tubs, which is why the pool deck should be using plastic "glasses".  The reason is that if a glass container is dropped in the hot tub, and breaks, it is almost impossible to know there are glass shards in the water, until you can drain the hot tub.  I remember one teen who stepped on a piece of glass in a hot tub and needed 17 stitches in the bottom of his foot, and it curtailed his cruise activities for the remainder of the cruise.' 

17 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

This past time on the Jade was the first time they were saying no drinks in the hot tub. They were having

the lifeguard enforce it. I don't know...I suppose some of the drinks have things that if the drink were

accidentally spilled would make quite a mess. I am thinking orange peels, cherries, that green lettuce

looking thingy stuff in some of the drinks. Also how about accidentally spilling a mudslide. haha

One more thing people have access to  are glass containers in the buffet that would not be a good

situation.

That is exactly what hubby said, if nothing else the mess that could be made by drinking some drinks in the hot tub. 

16 hours ago, shout19661966 said:

I am pretty sure its no glass in the hot tubs at least it was on my first five cruises. An like someone said its selectively enforced.

Nope it was no drinks at all.  Ours were in plastic cups.  

8 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

I was on this sailing too. We were fortunate enough to be in Haven, so I don't know about the rules for the main pool, but there was a sign of rules posted near the Haven pool saying no "glasses" near the pool area. My guess is they're more concerned about a dropped/spilled glass breaking and being a safety issue. 

Regardless, I had my wine glass on the edge of the pool and no one said 'boo' to me. I also wasn't a bumbling drunken fool, so that may have played a bigger role.

Our glasses were plastic, so that wasn't it. It was my first drink of the day, so not a bumbling drunk either! BTW how did you like Haven once you get all settled in?  Also was your trip home better?

Edited by Adian80

17 hours ago, cdnsteelman said:

My bigger question is what they don't allow HOT water in the luke-warm tubs 😉

Good question....  I will say if it's really hot I can only stay in for a few minutes, but then they are a little cooler I can stay in for 20 minutes, so it's not always a bad thing.

19 hours ago, OHRiverRats said:

Must depend on the ship.  We have always enjoyed Mango Meltdowns while relaxing in the hot tubs. If we couldn't, my husband would have no use for the pool deck! ☀️🍹😎

That's basically what happened. We avoided the pool deck like it had the plague for the rest of the trip.  I will say that for the pool experience I enjoyed my RCCL cruise in January much more.  The adults only Solarium is where it's at!  The pool is actually warm and bobbing in the pool (with a drink in hand) was the best part of my trip!  I have a feeling RCCL will be getting more of our business for that reason alone.